Do you guys shim

Do you guys shim

October 7th, 2010, 2:37 am #1

My Hakko/Pro Target combo needs more elevation. Will film negatives work? I can't get my mind around it.

October 7th, 2010, 2:46 am #2

Mounts...

Could also buy one of those .low profile drooper rails...

When I do shim, I use film or brass or aluminum sheet and cut to fit the saddle of the scope ring completely...times where I used shim stock smaller/narrower than the saddle resulted in dented up scope tubes!

Regards,

Tony

October 7th, 2010, 3:12 am #3

Both rings or just the rear? I have droopers for my elite but this tube is 30mm. Between the gun, scope, and rings is enough money so i'd prefer not to buy any more specialized merchandise.

October 7th, 2010, 3:19 am #4

using a bunch or all of my elevation adjustment...basically optically or mechanically center your scope, or get close to it and start shimming the rear scope saddle until the POI = POA at the distance you want to be zeroed at so now you have lots of elevation adjustment and you're not putting a alot of wear on the spring inside that is part of the elevation turret mechanism.

Regards,

Tony

October 7th, 2010, 3:45 am #5

My Hakko/Pro Target combo needs more elevation. Will film negatives work? I can't get my mind around it.
Have a big Nikko on my S400 and the rear mount needed to come up. I optically centered my scope at the zero distance like Tony mentioned... but fortunately the scope came with these mounts:

http://www.straightshooters.com/Sportsmatch/atp61.html

Just dialed up the rear mount and perfection! Another option is the 30mm Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts - those look nice too.

Shooting at 11.6fpe I click about one full revolution at 10 and 55 yards with the 1/8 MOA turrets. But to actually answer your question, yes, shimming will work

-Casey

October 7th, 2010, 3:46 am #6

using a bunch or all of my elevation adjustment...basically optically or mechanically center your scope, or get close to it and start shimming the rear scope saddle until the POI = POA at the distance you want to be zeroed at so now you have lots of elevation adjustment and you're not putting a alot of wear on the spring inside that is part of the elevation turret mechanism.

Regards,

Tony

-Casey

October 7th, 2010, 4:11 am #7

October 7th, 2010, 4:21 am #8

Mounts...

Could also buy one of those .low profile drooper rails...

When I do shim, I use film or brass or aluminum sheet and cut to fit the saddle of the scope ring completely...times where I used shim stock smaller/narrower than the saddle resulted in dented up scope tubes!

Regards,

Tony
<p>There is a lot of mention of Epoxy bedding the rings in the archives. This made the most sense as far as not damaging the scope tube. Now if only I had a video to watch. </p><p> </p>

October 7th, 2010, 4:51 am #9

On it, maybe call and ask Steve?

Regards,

Tony

October 7th, 2010, 8:33 am #10

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

I have only used the 30mm weaver style using the BKL to picatinny adapter but I really like this setup alot... Optically center your scope then use the nice feature with the ring inserts to center and align to the bore. Watch the video on Burris website to better understand the setup procedure.