Do the SWFA scopes have large mil-dots?

Do the SWFA scopes have large mil-dots?

March 18th, 2012, 1:26 am #1

Who has **** 20x42 30mm tactical scope with mil-dots? When I look at the sample reticle shown on their website the dots look huge.
How do they compare to a Bushnell or a Leapers mil-dot scope. Are they as large as a Simmons 44mag mil-dot reticle?

I also see they will be offering these same scopes with the mil-quad reticle... MRAD scopes, any input on this style reticle?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical- ... -P502.aspx

March 18th, 2012, 2:51 am #2

larger then say on Bushy Elites.

These SS scopes are nice scopes though. Glass wise very close to Elite 3200 line (same place factory builds both)

rear focus is a nice feature too. Not as good as a side focus scope but still works well.

They sure are better (have better glass, then Leapers and the rest of China scopes, also the weight on SS scopes is very impressive. They are lightweight for a 30mm scopes also the legth with build in sunshade is just right too.

For the money they are a pretty good deal. The reticle dots sure thing could be smaller, that is why I sold mine. But keep in mind Tasco originally had these ordered for a military contract and in a combat situation large mil-dot in low light settings do better. But now SWFA could have definitely work on the reticle issue. If these things had a half mil-dot like Hawke or Falcons do it would be the best deal for $300 on a Japanese scope.

p.s. Well I think they just put out them with the Mil-Quad Reticle. Awesome all I can say

March 18th, 2012, 3:01 am #3

looks like I'm waiting till the MRAD version with the Mil-Quad reticle is released...

VYD

March 18th, 2012, 4:32 am #4

larger then say on Bushy Elites.

These SS scopes are nice scopes though. Glass wise very close to Elite 3200 line (same place factory builds both)

rear focus is a nice feature too. Not as good as a side focus scope but still works well.

They sure are better (have better glass, then Leapers and the rest of China scopes, also the weight on SS scopes is very impressive. They are lightweight for a 30mm scopes also the legth with build in sunshade is just right too.

For the money they are a pretty good deal. The reticle dots sure thing could be smaller, that is why I sold mine. But keep in mind Tasco originally had these ordered for a military contract and in a combat situation large mil-dot in low light settings do better. But now SWFA could have definitely work on the reticle issue. If these things had a half mil-dot like Hawke or Falcons do it would be the best deal for $300 on a Japanese scope.

p.s. Well I think they just put out them with the Mil-Quad Reticle. Awesome all I can say
I have 10x42RF, 10x42SF, and 16x42RF scopes from SWFA. Rear focus is just what it is - rear focus. RF models have less moving parts than SF models hence they are, mechanically, tougher.

20x model does have larger dots because it's a 20x mildot, not a true 10x like on some Bushnells and Leapers. On 10x42 models, the mildot is at true 10 power and is very fine. It is thicker/larger on the 16x model and even larger on 20x.
On fixed power scopes the reticle's size will be true for the power of that scope. On variable power scopes it will depend whether or not the reticle is in FFP or SFP. If you don't know what the difference is and what the FFP reticle is really for, I suggest you do your homework before telling that SWFA has some "reticle issues."

And before you jump into a MIL/MIL scope for an airgun, you need to know what MIL/MIL really is compared to MOA/MOA.
Last edited by VYD on March 18th, 2012, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 18th, 2012, 8:09 am #5

Who has **** 20x42 30mm tactical scope with mil-dots? When I look at the sample reticle shown on their website the dots look huge.
How do they compare to a Bushnell or a Leapers mil-dot scope. Are they as large as a Simmons 44mag mil-dot reticle?

I also see they will be offering these same scopes with the mil-quad reticle... MRAD scopes, any input on this style reticle?

i thinking in buying one may be the fixed 10x42 rear parallax or the 6x42

March 18th, 2012, 3:21 pm #6

March 19th, 2012, 12:17 am #7

I have 10x42RF, 10x42SF, and 16x42RF scopes from SWFA. Rear focus is just what it is - rear focus. RF models have less moving parts than SF models hence they are, mechanically, tougher.

20x model does have larger dots because it's a 20x mildot, not a true 10x like on some Bushnells and Leapers. On 10x42 models, the mildot is at true 10 power and is very fine. It is thicker/larger on the 16x model and even larger on 20x.
On fixed power scopes the reticle's size will be true for the power of that scope. On variable power scopes it will depend whether or not the reticle is in FFP or SFP. If you don't know what the difference is and what the FFP reticle is really for, I suggest you do your homework before telling that SWFA has some "reticle issues."

And before you jump into a MIL/MIL scope for an airgun, you need to know what MIL/MIL really is compared to MOA/MOA.
about your scopes.

I meant that a rear focus scopes are not as confinement to use as a side focus scope. Nothing beats a side focus parallax adjustment.

That is why the 10X40M (military) model has it when Tasco had the contract with the marines some years back.

but again as nice as these scopes are they are not a Leupold either. But for the money they are a good deal that now got even better with new reticle systems that they have decided to use.

March 19th, 2012, 12:23 am #8

i thinking in buying one may be the fixed 10x42 rear parallax or the 6x42
These are rated for .50cal powder burner.

For airgun use you may be better getting a 16X42 or 20X42 depending on your eye sight. These scopes range very well practically to the meter. If you check them against a range finder.

But I like them because for a 30mm scope they don't weigh a tone. It is a good package for $300 with target turrets and Japanese glass.

March 19th, 2012, 3:31 am #9

Where did you find that diagram?

More importantly, is there one just like that for the 20x Mil-dot reticle?

Thanks

VYD

March 19th, 2012, 1:02 pm #10

about your scopes.

I meant that a rear focus scopes are not as confinement to use as a side focus scope. Nothing beats a side focus parallax adjustment.

That is why the 10X40M (military) model has it when Tasco had the contract with the marines some years back.

but again as nice as these scopes are they are not a Leupold either. But for the money they are a good deal that now got even better with new reticle systems that they have decided to use.
SWFA never won an actual contract. Yes, it was a participant but the contract was awarded to a whole another brand... Some military guys do use SWFA glass but that doesn't mean crap.
Last edited by VYD on March 19th, 2012, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.