Do shooting jackets always help?

Do shooting jackets always help?

July 8th, 2017, 12:37 am #1

The discussion below got me thinking more about shooting jackets. I don't currently use one.

If you are sweating inside the jacket, you are frustrating your bodies ability to cool itself. Excess body temperature will affect your cognitive abilities.

The most important shooting aid is the grey matter between your ears. If not functioning at 100%, your decision making abilities are being impaired and your overall performance might actually suffer more than that shooting jacket is helping.

I would think that it would be better to lose the shooting jacket if it's hot and you are sweating in it. Try shooting an entire match without one. You might find that you do better overall.

Most of my offhand shooting is at silhouette matches and shooting jackets are not allowed. Not that I would want to wear one. Field target has very few offhand shots anyway, so I see very limited benefit and more risk to performance if dependent on one.

Why do you wear a shooting jacket (the Creedmore style) when you are hot/sweaty?

July 8th, 2017, 1:49 am #2

I have seen my score become more consistent since I starting wearing a jacket. I shoot over my arm I consistently dropped 3-5 shots a match from flexing my left arm or right shoulder as the shot is released. The jacket helps to stabilize my upper body and give a bit more stability.

I take my jacket off between lanes to let my body breath. I also drink plenty of water and eat and drink protein snacks during the match. That help offset being hot in the jacket.

July 8th, 2017, 1:53 am #3

The discussion below got me thinking more about shooting jackets. I don't currently use one.

If you are sweating inside the jacket, you are frustrating your bodies ability to cool itself. Excess body temperature will affect your cognitive abilities.

The most important shooting aid is the grey matter between your ears. If not functioning at 100%, your decision making abilities are being impaired and your overall performance might actually suffer more than that shooting jacket is helping.

I would think that it would be better to lose the shooting jacket if it's hot and you are sweating in it. Try shooting an entire match without one. You might find that you do better overall.

Most of my offhand shooting is at silhouette matches and shooting jackets are not allowed. Not that I would want to wear one. Field target has very few offhand shots anyway, so I see very limited benefit and more risk to performance if dependent on one.

Why do you wear a shooting jacket (the Creedmore style) when you are hot/sweaty?
...what do you do if you're Catholic?

You endure the agony & offer it up to God.

Besides, you're some kinda actor when you're shooting with the jacket & all the other non hackers are wondering if you're outta you're mind & have no clue how they could individually endure.

It's mind over maggot brother.

K

July 8th, 2017, 2:52 am #4

I have seen my score become more consistent since I starting wearing a jacket. I shoot over my arm I consistently dropped 3-5 shots a match from flexing my left arm or right shoulder as the shot is released. The jacket helps to stabilize my upper body and give a bit more stability.

I take my jacket off between lanes to let my body breath. I also drink plenty of water and eat and drink protein snacks during the match. That help offset being hot in the jacket.
but are your best scores any better? I have noticed a similar thing when using a bipod. I'm more consistent when using a bipod. On a bad day, the bipod allows me hold the rifle steady enough to stay in the game. But if I'm having a good day, the bipod becomes an inconvenience on most shots. I tend to avoid the bipod these days, instead, I try to learn what makes for a good vs bad day. For sitting shots, I usually rest the gun directly on my knee, rather than my arm so the jacket may not help there. The shots where I think a jacket might help is standing/kneeling. The standing lane is when a good vs bad day is most exaggerated.

I could maybe envision me using a shooting jacket on a cold or cool day. But not likely if it's hot.

July 8th, 2017, 2:54 am #5

...what do you do if you're Catholic?

You endure the agony & offer it up to God.

Besides, you're some kinda actor when you're shooting with the jacket & all the other non hackers are wondering if you're outta you're mind & have no clue how they could individually endure.

It's mind over maggot brother.

K
When you wear a target shooting jacket, you look like a serious target shooter. You probably feel more like a serious target shooter. It may not matter whether it improves your score, or not.

July 8th, 2017, 3:26 am #6

I experienced the same things Brad is experiencing. My kneeling and standing percentages went up the most, but my sitting percentage also improved.

If you don't think it will help Scott, then don't wear one.

July 8th, 2017, 3:43 am #7

a little, at least on the standing and kneeling lanes. If I could hit 100% of the positional shots, it would be worth carrying around a shooting jacket just for those lanes. 100% might be too optimistic. Maybe 75% would be more realistic (I average about 50% sans jacket). On a two day match with 16 positional shots, that could still be enough improvement to warrant using a jacket.

July 8th, 2017, 4:48 am #8

Scott,

I ALWAYS wear my shooting jacket, no matter how hot it is for me. Bring on thr heat!!! I'll sit in it for the entire match, no matter if its 45 degrees, or 105 degrees. I have a very high tolerance for heat. It's 80 right now in NYC, and I'm freezing!! I shoot better in unbearable heat, than cold.
As far as assistance in our game, I find it helps, particularly in positionals. In kneeling, I can tighten up with the sling so effectively, it's almost steadier than sitting for me. Keep in mind that this is coming from a former 3 position smallbore rifle shooter that spent over 15 hours a week, practicing kneeling alone.
In offhand, it definitely helps reduce the effects of your hearbeat. Shooting glove in positionals is a must as well, I'll very rarely not use one. Should use one ALL the time, but it is a hindrance in ranging.
The next time we meet, you can pick my brain some more, be glad to help.

Tom Holland
Assistant Match Director Eastern Suffolk Competitve Airgunners Association
(ESCAA)
Long Island NY

July 8th, 2017, 7:50 am #9

My experience is the jacket is usually worth 1 to 2 points in a 60 shot match. I don't wear it in hot weather unless it is an important match. Sometimes I wear it when it is cold at the start of the match then shed it as the day warms up. My position is slightly different with the jacket so I have to make that adjustment when switching. It does seem to require more concentration to hold as steady without it.

July 8th, 2017, 11:37 am #10

a little, at least on the standing and kneeling lanes. If I could hit 100% of the positional shots, it would be worth carrying around a shooting jacket just for those lanes. 100% might be too optimistic. Maybe 75% would be more realistic (I average about 50% sans jacket). On a two day match with 16 positional shots, that could still be enough improvement to warrant using a jacket.
match, in the heat, before I shed the coat. I am much steadier with the jacket and my heart beat seems to not effect the shot. I think it helps sitting on a bag in WFTF as well as standing. If I could find a way to wear it in the heat, for a whole match, I feel I could gain at least 5-10 points. JMO, Don