Discovery pump is rebuidable!

Discovery pump is rebuidable!

November 1st, 2008, 9:38 am #1

Well, just the seals anyways. A few days ago, my pump stopped working properly. It would get maybe 10 strokes in and then the pump just would not come back up even when pulled with all my strength. Figured, since I don't have any warranty on this pump, there was nothing to lose by taking it apart and trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

I was able to make my pump work again by replacing the o-ring in the check valve and on the pump rod. I also wipe out the gunk/lubricant that is collected at the bottom of the pump. Very nasty indeed, and it seems some of it may have been pumped into the gun, definitely a good idea to keep it clean.

For reference here's the Hill pump diagram. The Discovery pump is similar to the Hill pump, but I'm uncertain if the seals are the same. Airguns of Arizona does sell a rebuild kit for the Hill pump.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/BSA/Hil ... ctions.pdf

The Discovery pump is very similar, except it only has 1 ball intake port and there is an o-ring behind the little white seal on the rod. There were a few other o-rings here and there that were a little different, but nothing major. Wish I had taken pictures when I had it apart. Probably will need a rebuild again, as I used cheap o-rings and no lubricants at all.

So, if you're warranty is out and that pump fails you, take that bastard apart and make it work like new again.

November 1st, 2008, 12:02 pm #2

Some of the websites talked about silicone grease. I think they use that because it is non-combustible in the high pressure applications. The Hill pump web site in England, was selling it kind of high dollar. I am certain someone knows of a cheaper source for the lube?? I want to keep both my pumps well lubricated and happy.

MR in SA

November 1st, 2008, 12:12 pm #3

Well, just the seals anyways. A few days ago, my pump stopped working properly. It would get maybe 10 strokes in and then the pump just would not come back up even when pulled with all my strength. Figured, since I don't have any warranty on this pump, there was nothing to lose by taking it apart and trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

I was able to make my pump work again by replacing the o-ring in the check valve and on the pump rod. I also wipe out the gunk/lubricant that is collected at the bottom of the pump. Very nasty indeed, and it seems some of it may have been pumped into the gun, definitely a good idea to keep it clean.

For reference here's the Hill pump diagram. The Discovery pump is similar to the Hill pump, but I'm uncertain if the seals are the same. Airguns of Arizona does sell a rebuild kit for the Hill pump.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/BSA/Hil ... ctions.pdf

The Discovery pump is very similar, except it only has 1 ball intake port and there is an o-ring behind the little white seal on the rod. There were a few other o-rings here and there that were a little different, but nothing major. Wish I had taken pictures when I had it apart. Probably will need a rebuild again, as I used cheap o-rings and no lubricants at all.

So, if you're warranty is out and that pump fails you, take that bastard apart and make it work like new again.
so make sure you apply some type of lube after cleaning.

November 1st, 2008, 5:52 pm #4

Definitely not recommended to wipe off the the grease on the shaft if you still have a properly working pump.

However, I don't believe it will harm the pump if you just wipe out the excess that accumulates inside the base. There's a whole bunch of that so called lubricant from factory that makes it way down there. All you have to do is just use an adjustable wrench to loosen up the tube from the base. Probably take off the hose too, to check if any of it has been going into the gun. Clean the base out with a few cotton swaps and a rag. Then you can reattach the hose back with teflon tape to prevent any leaks. The base and tube will seal itself with the o-ring.

November 1st, 2008, 6:09 pm #5

Some of the websites talked about silicone grease. I think they use that because it is non-combustible in the high pressure applications. The Hill pump web site in England, was selling it kind of high dollar. I am certain someone knows of a cheaper source for the lube?? I want to keep both my pumps well lubricated and happy.

MR in SA
Here's a link to one.

http://www.divers-supply.com/ProductDet ... 084b26122z

I'll probably purchase some locally and try it out.

November 10th, 2008, 7:28 pm #6

MR in SA
I use silicone grease from an automotive store, costs about 4 bucks for small tube but has kept my pump, and air rifle o-rings going good for years.
Bill...