Discovery Power Adjuster - what numbers are you seeing?

Discovery Power Adjuster - what numbers are you seeing?

February 22nd, 2010, 6:13 pm #1

Just wondering what velocity numbers others are seeing in a Discovery .22 cal with power adjuster. I made mine by clipping the spring - about 3 coils. I added a guide which brought back maybe 1 coil of length and I made sure that at full in - the guide was still inside the rear plug. Full out is of course no engagement of the adjuster.

My range in limited testing is 875 - 880 fps full in (5 shots) and 720 - 725 full out (5 shots). I'm surprised by this level of adjustment. I have it dialed in right now at about 810 fps which is where I'll keep it and see what kind of a string I get and how many shots. What are others seeing? (testing done with 14.5 RWS Superdomes).

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

February 23rd, 2010, 4:16 am #2

Why would you be surprised?? that's what an adjuster is supposed to do...why did you shorten the spring? you may have lost power at full in (or closer to full-in,) by reducing available hammer spring tension.

February 23rd, 2010, 5:03 am #3

Just wondering what velocity numbers others are seeing in a Discovery .22 cal with power adjuster. I made mine by clipping the spring - about 3 coils. I added a guide which brought back maybe 1 coil of length and I made sure that at full in - the guide was still inside the rear plug. Full out is of course no engagement of the adjuster.

My range in limited testing is 875 - 880 fps full in (5 shots) and 720 - 725 full out (5 shots). I'm surprised by this level of adjustment. I have it dialed in right now at about 810 fps which is where I'll keep it and see what kind of a string I get and how many shots. What are others seeing? (testing done with 14.5 RWS Superdomes).

average for first 10 shots...then averages 889 FPS for next 15 shots.and 796 for last 6 shots which leaves about 900 psi on gun gauge...MAC 1 tuned/power adjuster/etc...i have never touched adjustment...stricly a hunting gun...JSB 14.3 gr,btw..
Last edited by richwoods on February 23rd, 2010, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 24th, 2010, 1:33 am #4

Why would you be surprised?? that's what an adjuster is supposed to do...why did you shorten the spring? you may have lost power at full in (or closer to full-in,) by reducing available hammer spring tension.
Why wouldn't you shorten the spring???????? If you don't alter the spring length, your lowest setting will be the factory setting and your velocity will only go up from there (and the Disco valve and platform is just not built around high velocities). I wanted a larger range of adjustment and the ability to increase shot count for target shooting. I think I succeded in that 1) I have a bit more power over stock if I want/need it and 2) I can dial it way down to punch paper and increase shot count. I'm just a bit surprised by the range of adjustment - wasn't expecting that muchm maybe 50-75 fps.

Last edited by tripleguy on February 25th, 2010, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.