Discovery or RWS 350?

Discovery or RWS 350?

April 19th, 2009, 5:42 am #1

I'm looking at .22 cal rifles and I have it narrowed to these two (leaning more toward the Discovey). I would be using it for target mostly as well as pest control when needed. The only air gun I own now is an RWS 34 and I'm extremely pleased with the way it performs, thats why I'm considering the 350. I want something with more range that hits harder than a .177. I want to make sure I make the right choice before I spend that much cash. I'm pretty new at this and any feedback, pro or con, would be helpful. Thanks

April 19th, 2009, 11:53 am #2

Do you already have a pump or happen to dive scuba or am a fire fighter? That would be the deciding factor for me, because you need at least another $200 for a pump setup. I can't personally vouch for it, but the 350 is known to kill scopes with ease. Shooting targets likely isn't the 350's strong side, being a hold sensative springer, a nice tune should take care of that though ($100-150 usually).

April 19th, 2009, 12:15 pm #3

No air

April 19th, 2009, 2:00 pm #4

I'm looking at .22 cal rifles and I have it narrowed to these two (leaning more toward the Discovey). I would be using it for target mostly as well as pest control when needed. The only air gun I own now is an RWS 34 and I'm extremely pleased with the way it performs, thats why I'm considering the 350. I want something with more range that hits harder than a .177. I want to make sure I make the right choice before I spend that much cash. I'm pretty new at this and any feedback, pro or con, would be helpful. Thanks
I have experance with the RWS350 in 177 and 22cal and the 34 in 177cal as well as the disco. Both 350's are a beast with ALOT or recoil. The RWS350 is a scope killer as well. Accuracy wise once you get the feel for them they are not bad. Once the RWS 177cal got a detune (lighter spring to slow it down) it became a real sweet shooter. the 22cal was left alone but it is the least shot gun. IMHO I like the 34 better than the 350, easier to shoot and more accurate in my hands, lighter to carry and still hits hard. I have used my 34 for pest (gracks,starlings and use it squirrel hunting) with no problems. Given the choice between the 350 and the disco in 22cal, I would get the Disco. The disco is lighter to carry and PCP has almost no recoil and is very accurate, a hard hitter as well. If it were me and wanted a Disco I woulds order a Mac1 prepped disco (which I did!) and if you wanted or need a pump get the Hill pump (which I should have done) its more $$$ but worth it in the long run (you get what you pay for). I got the disco pump, although I have not had any problems from mine yet but there are others here that have. You can also go the 4500psi tanks, I have one of those also (use more for my othere PCP's) but will give the Disco alot of fills. Hope this helps........

April 19th, 2009, 3:00 pm #5

I have both, the RWS 350 does eat scopes I have ruined 3 on mine, it is hold hold sensitive but once you learn it, it shoots nice.I bought a Mac1 Disco and would highly recommend it. I also bought the Hill/BSA pump and am glad I did after reading all the troubles others have had with the Benji pump. It is easy to pump up to 1800 or 2000 psi. Both guns have power to spare. In short I luv the Disco over the 350 but that is just a personal preference on my part.

April 19th, 2009, 5:48 pm #6

I have experance with the RWS350 in 177 and 22cal and the 34 in 177cal as well as the disco. Both 350's are a beast with ALOT or recoil. The RWS350 is a scope killer as well. Accuracy wise once you get the feel for them they are not bad. Once the RWS 177cal got a detune (lighter spring to slow it down) it became a real sweet shooter. the 22cal was left alone but it is the least shot gun. IMHO I like the 34 better than the 350, easier to shoot and more accurate in my hands, lighter to carry and still hits hard. I have used my 34 for pest (gracks,starlings and use it squirrel hunting) with no problems. Given the choice between the 350 and the disco in 22cal, I would get the Disco. The disco is lighter to carry and PCP has almost no recoil and is very accurate, a hard hitter as well. If it were me and wanted a Disco I woulds order a Mac1 prepped disco (which I did!) and if you wanted or need a pump get the Hill pump (which I should have done) its more $$$ but worth it in the long run (you get what you pay for). I got the disco pump, although I have not had any problems from mine yet but there are others here that have. You can also go the 4500psi tanks, I have one of those also (use more for my othere PCP's) but will give the Disco alot of fills. Hope this helps........
Where do I find a Mac1 Disco. I looked athttp://www.mac1airgun.com/ and I don't see anything about Discovery rifles.
Last edited by FLHTC on April 19th, 2009, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 19th, 2009, 7:06 pm #7

Mac1 (Tim) does not list alot of things on his web page, he carries the disco and alot more. He really prefers to talk first hand with his costomers
( old world dealer and a darn good one)and will answer any questions you may have. He set-up my disco exactly the way I wanted it. Just give him a call the number is on his web page.

April 19th, 2009, 7:37 pm #8

I'm gonna go with the Disco. I have no desire to replace busted scopes every couple of months. Thanks for the input.
Last edited by FLHTC on April 19th, 2009, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 20th, 2009, 12:36 am #9

like others have said plus for a springer it bounces you around a little shooting. With a 34 you don't need another RWS springer.

goer on ebay and BuyMyJunk on GunBroker for BOI and for sales that either didn't sell on the classifieds or couldn't.

April 20th, 2009, 12:37 am #10

What year is your FLHTC? pics? -nt