Discovery loss of power after trigger upgrade

December 2nd, 2017, 6:43 pm #1

Installed a marauder trigger on my disco and it's way weaker now. I got it from Discosrus with the spacer, installation was easy but it lost a lot of it's power. Usually a pellet would go a fair way into a 3/4 piece of plywood, now it puts a small hole and bounces off. Any ideas guys?
(I don't have a chrony)

December 3rd, 2017, 7:58 pm #2

I'm not familiar with the particulars of your trigger swap, but if that's the only thing you changed (meaning trigger and sear I suppose) then the most likely suspect would seem to be a substantial reduction in the hammer stroke, or the length of draw of the hammer when cocked. If that's the case, if the hammer is catching on the sear with a shorter draw, then one potential solution might be to insert a spacer to further compress the spring and thus restore power to the hammer impact. Of course an RVA would be better, allowing infinite fine adjustments of spring preload to determine an ideal spring pressure. Another option might be to buy or make a different sear which engages the hammer somewhat further back, lengthening the stroke... but I prefer going the opposite way, actually shortening the stroke. With a much-lightened hammer and a short stroke, then using a firmer spring (and especially an SSG to control that spring and hammer rebound), greater efficiency can result. Of course in all this a chrony is essential for any real knowledge of what's happening. Dents in wood are a poor, inconsistent measure of velocity.

December 4th, 2017, 1:27 pm #3

Not sure what RVA or SSG stands for but maybe some sort of power adjuster? I was thinking a stronger spring may help as I still have the stock one. I put the stock trigger back on and stacked 3 pellets in a tight group at 30 yard which is normal with this gun. The new trigger makes the gun sound weak and the shots are quite low at 30 yards.

December 4th, 2017, 3:58 pm #4

Installed a marauder trigger on my disco and it's way weaker now. I got it from Discosrus with the spacer, installation was easy but it lost a lot of it's power. Usually a pellet would go a fair way into a 3/4 piece of plywood, now it puts a small hole and bounces off. Any ideas guys?
(I don't have a chrony)
group requires a flat bottom striker, if you haven't installed one in addition the spacer and trigger group you'll either have to get one or as some folks have done fill the bottom of the oem striker with epoxy and smooth it to be a straight surface. Or buy a striker for a P'Rod and a 1/4x28 allen set screw and grind the face flat. That allen gets screwed into the striker along with some LocTite. Without that striker, as mentioned in the above post, you may be short stroking, and you might brake the sear in the trigger group.

December 4th, 2017, 4:20 pm #5

Is that the marauder pistol? I have an email out to Joe at DiscoRus where I bought the Marauder trigger group from.
Is this what you are talking about?https://discosrus.net/product/stroke-adjuster/
Looks like a custom striker, if so 25 bucks is pretty cheap so I'll get it if Joe says it may work.
And thanks for the replies/help guys I really appreciate it!!!

December 4th, 2017, 7:11 pm #6

Without that striker don't use the M'rod trigger group, you will end up braking the sear.
What you show in that link is a modified P'Rod striker that has had a notch milled in the top to clear the 4/48 breech screw. Just be sure to ask for the acetal pin that acts like a thread binder and goes into the hole in the striker.

December 4th, 2017, 8:13 pm #7

It says to use the factory spring and pin so it doesn't come with it. Is the acetal pin the cocking pin? On my stock striker there is a small pin on the rear of it will that work? I see the cutout for the breech screw, haven't heard back from DiscosRus.

December 5th, 2017, 1:27 pm #8

acetal pin - No, it is put inside the threads to act as a "thread locker" ....n/t

December 13th, 2017, 12:36 am #9

Not sure what RVA or SSG stands for but maybe some sort of power adjuster? I was thinking a stronger spring may help as I still have the stock one. I put the stock trigger back on and stacked 3 pellets in a tight group at 30 yard which is normal with this gun. The new trigger makes the gun sound weak and the shots are quite low at 30 yards.
a Spring Stop Guide, basically an adjustable captured spring. By capturing the he spring on a rod and carefully adjusting not to stop just shy of contacting the striker with the striker all the way forward, the rebound of the striker is damped after it bounces off the valve stem. The spring is generally preloaded on that rod, then further compressed on cocking.

An RVA means Rear Velocity Adjuster, and is a simpler spring tensioning bolt.

December 16th, 2017, 7:06 pm #10

group requires a flat bottom striker, if you haven't installed one in addition the spacer and trigger group you'll either have to get one or as some folks have done fill the bottom of the oem striker with epoxy and smooth it to be a straight surface. Or buy a striker for a P'Rod and a 1/4x28 allen set screw and grind the face flat. That allen gets screwed into the striker along with some LocTite. Without that striker, as mentioned in the above post, you may be short stroking, and you might brake the sear in the trigger group.
The Prod/Challenger hammer did the trick, gun still has normal power and man is that trigger sweet! Sighted it back in and I may need to adjust the first stage a bit, seem a bit long for me.
THANKS for all of the help/suggestions guys!!!