Disco trick ...

Disco trick ...

March 10th, 2008, 5:16 pm #1

thought I might pass along this simple fix. My discovery (even with a new barrel) was giving some pretty ugly groups at 25 yds. It was 'spotting', a few pellets would land her, a few there, etc. It looked like multiple groups spread out about 1-1/2 inches apart.

I noticed that the muzzle brake/sight assembly was in loose contact with the top of the air tube. I could see it was almost touching, if I tapped on it I could hear it vibrate against the tube. Figuring this might be the problem, I decided to see if I could wedge something in the gap between brake and tube and tighten it up.

I took the front sight and brake off and made a 'spacer' from one of those little sticky-back felt pads - the kind you see stuck to the bottom of table lamps and the like. The felt pad I used was about 5/8" round and maybe 1/16" thick. I took a razor blade and cut it roughly into a 'V' shape to fit the rear, bottom portion of the brake (where it covers the air tube only, not where the tube cap is). I lifted the barrel slightly and slid the padded brake back into place. Tightened the set screw and reinstalled the front sight. Now the brake is in direct contact with the tube via the felt pad, there is a little upward tension on the barrel, and an approximately 1/16" gap between brake and the tube cap. More importantly, it doesn't vibrate as before.

Went back to shooting and found the POI had shifted up about 4" at 25 yds, but the pellets were landing in nice, predicatble nickel-sized groups. It took a few adjustments to bring POI back down but now it's shooting great. 1/2" to 5/8" groups at 25 yds, not bad at all.
Last edited by plinkerton on March 10th, 2008, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 10th, 2008, 5:35 pm #2

These Discovery rifles are really great, I love mine...

This rifle is stock, there has been no trigger work or any thing else done to it, the only thing I did to it so far is just mount the scope and bipod on it...

This target below was shot with .22 calibur Crosman Premiers Silhouette & Field Target pellets...

This is 25 shots at a distance of 31 yards...

I know that a more capable shooter could get even more tighter groups with it, because it will stack them one on top of the other at this distance...
"History Is To Learn From, Not to be Repeated"
War is the materialization or manifestation of "The Thought Form Of Insanity"
May Your Day Be Special - Ray
Last edited by RayEagle on March 10th, 2008, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 10th, 2008, 8:13 pm #3

thought I might pass along this simple fix. My discovery (even with a new barrel) was giving some pretty ugly groups at 25 yds. It was 'spotting', a few pellets would land her, a few there, etc. It looked like multiple groups spread out about 1-1/2 inches apart.

I noticed that the muzzle brake/sight assembly was in loose contact with the top of the air tube. I could see it was almost touching, if I tapped on it I could hear it vibrate against the tube. Figuring this might be the problem, I decided to see if I could wedge something in the gap between brake and tube and tighten it up.

I took the front sight and brake off and made a 'spacer' from one of those little sticky-back felt pads - the kind you see stuck to the bottom of table lamps and the like. The felt pad I used was about 5/8" round and maybe 1/16" thick. I took a razor blade and cut it roughly into a 'V' shape to fit the rear, bottom portion of the brake (where it covers the air tube only, not where the tube cap is). I lifted the barrel slightly and slid the padded brake back into place. Tightened the set screw and reinstalled the front sight. Now the brake is in direct contact with the tube via the felt pad, there is a little upward tension on the barrel, and an approximately 1/16" gap between brake and the tube cap. More importantly, it doesn't vibrate as before.

Went back to shooting and found the POI had shifted up about 4" at 25 yds, but the pellets were landing in nice, predicatble nickel-sized groups. It took a few adjustments to bring POI back down but now it's shooting great. 1/2" to 5/8" groups at 25 yds, not bad at all.
nm

March 10th, 2008, 8:46 pm #4

These Discovery rifles are really great, I love mine...

This rifle is stock, there has been no trigger work or any thing else done to it, the only thing I did to it so far is just mount the scope and bipod on it...

This target below was shot with .22 calibur Crosman Premiers Silhouette & Field Target pellets...

This is 25 shots at a distance of 31 yards...

I know that a more capable shooter could get even more tighter groups with it, because it will stack them one on top of the other at this distance...
with a little more practice I'm pretty sure I can tighten-up my groups. I really haven't shot the Disco much, lousy weather lately (40-knot winds last Saturday) plus it's loud enough that I have to avoid the neighbors as much as possible. Still trying different pellets, and it was pretty windy Sunday too. Haven't tried the open sights, bought a new scope for the Disco so I went straight for it. It's a Leapers UTG 4x40 mil-dot non-AO job with parallax adjusted to 35 yds. Nice, bright scope for the money (a little over $50). Regards - Jim

March 10th, 2008, 9:38 pm #5

After I got my Discovery rifle, and had ordered the scope for it, I spent a few days shooting it with the open sights, and I was really amazed at what I could do with the open sights, even with these old eyes...

My eyes are not as clear as they were years ago, so to be able to shoot with open sights again was a treat for me...

I have three Leaper scopes, and I think that for the money, they are a great buy...

We have been getting a bit of rain over here in Texas, so on the days that I can't do any shooting, it drives me nuts, I have tried to get my daughter Koda, to hold up some targets for me in the house so that I can get some practice, but for some reason she won't do it, I can't understand why she won't hold them up for me, maybe it's because I can't hit the barn, even if I put the barrel up against it... LOL

March 12th, 2008, 3:12 pm #6

what about shoe goo.A little dab on each side in-between the barrel and air chamber near the muzzle and the center of the barrel would make for a very solid foundation.

delmar