Disco has never been accurate.

Disco has never been accurate.

June 20th, 2012, 6:57 pm #1

I have had a .22 Disco for about 2 1/2 years now. I noticed right after I put a scope on it that the gun just wasn't very accurate. It has never been much more than good enough to racoon hunt since. I feel I have done everything besides change the barrel to try to improve the accuracy. Ive modded the trigger to about 1 1/2 lbs. Smooth,light and predictable. Opened up the valve & enlarged hole a wee bit and put icemaker transfer port in to make volocity a consistent 950 fps., Put a heavier hitting hammer spring (no more quiet, weak shots here and there) , Lapped and recrowned the peeshooter, Tried 5 different scopes on it thinking I had a string of bad scopes(its happened to me before). Nothing seems to keep this Disco from shooting in roughly 3 inch circles at 27 yds.. I hate to admit this airgun has beaten me. I can't seem to make her shoot an accceptable group. I'm at a loss. Is there something I don't know about Discos ? Otherwise I remain unimpressed with them eccept they are fun to take apart and put back together. lol For God sake, I have magnum springers that will outshoot this thing. Thats pretty sorry for a PCP. Please help !

June 20th, 2012, 7:40 pm #2

Perhaps there is an issue with the rings or base.

George

June 20th, 2012, 8:27 pm #3

I have had a .22 Disco for about 2 1/2 years now. I noticed right after I put a scope on it that the gun just wasn't very accurate. It has never been much more than good enough to racoon hunt since. I feel I have done everything besides change the barrel to try to improve the accuracy. Ive modded the trigger to about 1 1/2 lbs. Smooth,light and predictable. Opened up the valve & enlarged hole a wee bit and put icemaker transfer port in to make volocity a consistent 950 fps., Put a heavier hitting hammer spring (no more quiet, weak shots here and there) , Lapped and recrowned the peeshooter, Tried 5 different scopes on it thinking I had a string of bad scopes(its happened to me before). Nothing seems to keep this Disco from shooting in roughly 3 inch circles at 27 yds.. I hate to admit this airgun has beaten me. I can't seem to make her shoot an accceptable group. I'm at a loss. Is there something I don't know about Discos ? Otherwise I remain unimpressed with them eccept they are fun to take apart and put back together. lol For God sake, I have magnum springers that will outshoot this thing. Thats pretty sorry for a PCP. Please help !
After all you have tried, I would say you got a bum barrel. why not get another barrel for it? They are not that expensive and you can order it from Crosman.

I also have to assume that you have tried different pellets as well.
Last edited by degriz on June 20th, 2012, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2012, 5:16 am #4

Perhaps there is an issue with the rings or base.

George
No, I have not. But did switch to another scope,rings that is proven accurate on my Talon. Gun shot a little better but still bad.

June 21st, 2012, 5:24 am #5

After all you have tried, I would say you got a bum barrel. why not get another barrel for it? They are not that expensive and you can order it from Crosman.

Yes , I have tried other pellets that do group a tad better but still no good IMHO. And I also believe it just may be the Barrel. I might try Mellonair.com. I hear fairly cheap but a bit better than stock barrel.

June 21st, 2012, 8:40 am #6

I have used his barrels and have been very happy with them. I have 2 disco's now that I am very happy with. shot this group of 15 shots at 50 yards this past weekend.

June 21st, 2012, 3:47 pm #7

Just call Crosman and order  part # <font face="Times New Roman">2260SE-001 IIRC ? and once you have it go over the inleade, crown and transfer port opening and then swap it out. When you call to order it tell them why your ordering it and you'll probably score a good one.</font>

June 22nd, 2012, 2:44 pm #8

My .22 Disco didn't like pointed pellets at all and also had a couple of POI shifts (one after pumping and one as the tank pressure changed). It turned out to be that the breech screws were loose. No problems now. The pointed pellets have the same POI at 20 yards as the domed pellets. At 33 yards, the pointed pellets open up to a 2" group whereas the Benjamin HPs stayed tight hitting a penny sized bull 8 of 10 shots. Check the breech screws.
Last edited by JoeDzek on June 22nd, 2012, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 22nd, 2012, 4:56 pm #9

Use a bar clamp to compress it first then tighten those little screws a bit... foot pounds just inch pounds. Use the clamp again to take them out.

June 24th, 2012, 6:34 pm #10

My .22 Disco didn't like pointed pellets at all and also had a couple of POI shifts (one after pumping and one as the tank pressure changed). It turned out to be that the breech screws were loose. No problems now. The pointed pellets have the same POI at 20 yards as the domed pellets. At 33 yards, the pointed pellets open up to a 2" group whereas the Benjamin HPs stayed tight hitting a penny sized bull 8 of 10 shots. Check the breech screws.
There was some talk early in the release of the Disco about the breech rocking due to a tall transfer port. I sanded mine down a few thousands and clamped the breech and tightened the breech screw and that seemed to help.

Jeff P