Did you ever get that feeling that something was terribly wrong inside your air rifle??

Did you ever get that feeling that something was terribly wrong inside your air rifle??

November 1st, 2006, 8:13 pm #1

Unfortunately I have that feeling today. Took my "home tuned" shadow out for the first real shooting session. The gun feels more solid when it shoots and I didnt notice any real spring torque (twisting) as before, just kind of a straight recoil, however there still is a little spring "buzz" (maybe not enough tar used), though not nearly as bad as pre-tune. Cocking action was smooth as silk (at first).
Now, after about 30 to 40 shots through it, the cocking is getting progressively more difficult in that I'm noticing a "dragging" type feeling. I'm going to open it back up later tonight (keeping my fingers crossed) and hope that it's something that's not going to be a problem....but as I mentioned before, I have that bad feeling.........

November 1st, 2006, 9:08 pm #2

Those sometimes do that. They start to wear/gall on the main tube with use. A delrin insert in the cocking foot will fix that real fast but you can also help it out with a dab of velocity tar.

November 1st, 2006, 9:47 pm #3

Unfortunately I have that feeling today. Took my "home tuned" shadow out for the first real shooting session. The gun feels more solid when it shoots and I didnt notice any real spring torque (twisting) as before, just kind of a straight recoil, however there still is a little spring "buzz" (maybe not enough tar used), though not nearly as bad as pre-tune. Cocking action was smooth as silk (at first).
Now, after about 30 to 40 shots through it, the cocking is getting progressively more difficult in that I'm noticing a "dragging" type feeling. I'm going to open it back up later tonight (keeping my fingers crossed) and hope that it's something that's not going to be a problem....but as I mentioned before, I have that bad feeling.........
Mark, it's probably the cocking linkage and may only require stock removal. If it shot fine for 50 shots you probably assembled the internals correctly, there is not really anything that that can "come apart" in there as you know. You would probably know if it was a broken spring, highly unlikely since it's JM.

November 1st, 2006, 11:33 pm #4

when I reassembled it. I'll give it another look and see if that is the cause (hopefully). I don't have any velocity tar, only heavy tar (for the spring) and moly grease. As I was using the gun, the amount of force needed to cock the rifle just got progressively more difficult relative to the first couple of times that it was cocked. It by no means is difficult in it's own right, just seems like the piston is dragging when cocking it back. I'm gonna go and remove the stock again and see what I can find out. I'll give it another look and see if the cocking shoe is the cause (hopefully). I don't have any velocity tar, only heavy tar and moly grease. If I need to, I'll disassemble it again and go a little deeper. I'll give an update a little later....hopefully I won't have any pictures to post (if you know what I mean).

BTW, does anyone have photos of a properly dressed (with heavy tar) mainspring they can post?

Thanks

November 1st, 2006, 11:41 pm #5

The one for the linkage that rides in the stock may have fell out while putting the action back in.

November 2nd, 2006, 12:02 am #6

when I reassembled it. I'll give it another look and see if that is the cause (hopefully). I don't have any velocity tar, only heavy tar (for the spring) and moly grease. As I was using the gun, the amount of force needed to cock the rifle just got progressively more difficult relative to the first couple of times that it was cocked. It by no means is difficult in it's own right, just seems like the piston is dragging when cocking it back. I'm gonna go and remove the stock again and see what I can find out. I'll give it another look and see if the cocking shoe is the cause (hopefully). I don't have any velocity tar, only heavy tar and moly grease. If I need to, I'll disassemble it again and go a little deeper. I'll give an update a little later....hopefully I won't have any pictures to post (if you know what I mean).

BTW, does anyone have photos of a properly dressed (with heavy tar) mainspring they can post?

Thanks
Now 3 of us want to know. CJ asks a good question below, it does sound like the little roller is missing or something is not aligned properly.

I have pictures of a tarred spring at home, I can throw them up at about 1:00a if you want. Of all the things it could be, I suspect this the least. I'm working on a P1/HW45 right now that shot and didn't sound abnormal and the spring was bone dry.

November 2nd, 2006, 12:29 am #7

delrin glider that goes in the first slot on the primary (one with shoe) linkage arm. Chris Klindt makes and sells these.

November 2nd, 2006, 12:49 am #8

The one for the linkage that rides in the stock may have fell out while putting the action back in.
It is a two piece cocking linkage setup and both the roller and plastic foot (stirrup) were in place.

Here is what I did:

1) applied moly underneath the plastic cocking lever stirrup
2) put a little moly/oil mixture inside of the cocking linkage roller, and for whatever reason, I turned the roller around on the pin also
3) cleaned and re-applied a little moly grease to the cocking foot
4) put a drop of moly/oil mix on both cocking lever pivot areas

Now she's back to cocking like smooth silk again! I'm very happy!

Thanks a bunch guys....I've been fixated on the piston chamber lubrication thing. The idea of using so much less lubrication than what the factory had originally used made me extremely paranoid, I kept picturing in my mind the piston scraping into the cylinder wall...screeeeccchhhh..WOW. Guess my confidence level will get better with more experience.

Oh I almost forgot, Lon, I was asking about a photo of the dressed/tarred spring for future reference...or in case I might have to re-do my spring again. I'm still getting a little spring "buzz" so I'm thinking I might not have put enough on it. But it's still better than it was.

Thanks again Warren, cj and Lon, you guys are great!
Last edited by Mark052 on November 2nd, 2006, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 2nd, 2006, 12:53 am #9

delrin glider that goes in the first slot on the primary (one with shoe) linkage arm. Chris Klindt makes and sells these.
lack of lubrication or alignment. It's working fine now.

November 2nd, 2006, 1:15 am #10

It is a two piece cocking linkage setup and both the roller and plastic foot (stirrup) were in place.

Here is what I did:

1) applied moly underneath the plastic cocking lever stirrup
2) put a little moly/oil mixture inside of the cocking linkage roller, and for whatever reason, I turned the roller around on the pin also
3) cleaned and re-applied a little moly grease to the cocking foot
4) put a drop of moly/oil mix on both cocking lever pivot areas

Now she's back to cocking like smooth silk again! I'm very happy!

Thanks a bunch guys....I've been fixated on the piston chamber lubrication thing. The idea of using so much less lubrication than what the factory had originally used made me extremely paranoid, I kept picturing in my mind the piston scraping into the cylinder wall...screeeeccchhhh..WOW. Guess my confidence level will get better with more experience.

Oh I almost forgot, Lon, I was asking about a photo of the dressed/tarred spring for future reference...or in case I might have to re-do my spring again. I'm still getting a little spring "buzz" so I'm thinking I might not have put enough on it. But it's still better than it was.

Thanks again Warren, cj and Lon, you guys are great!
The slight buzz may be the guide to spring fit. A guide kit from Rich in Mich is a drop in to remedy that, or you can use some heat shrink tubing to beef up the existing guide. Or you can just shoot it the way it is.