Diablo Rod & Gun Club FT Match Report 7/18/10 - PICS

Diablo Rod & Gun Club FT Match Report 7/18/10 - PICS

July 20th, 2010, 7:40 pm #1

Today's match at Diablo Rod and Gun Club(DRGC) will be a change of pace as we are shooting a reduced shot course and having a potluck lunch and airgun swap meet. As such we will forgo having a Pistol FT Match to accommodate extended eating, negotiating and a more social setting to relax and have some fun.

To mix things up, a few of us decided to try Hunter Field Target(HFT) in Spring Piston Class. Hunter is a class that is expected to open the door for many new and experienced shooters to shooting at knockover Field Targets as the equipment restrictions keep cost of entry at a minimum in comparison to shooting Full Blown FT Rigs and hopefully keep them shooting HFT or give Field Target a whirl as well.

At DRGC, Eric K. aka Oldshooter, is the long standing HFT Shooter that everyone identifies with when HFT at our club is mentioned. He's a purist if you will, the kind of guy that shoots HFT with a variety of self tuned affordable break barrel springers like R7's, RWS 34s and RWS350's. Today Lonnie S. and I decided we would give HFT a whirl and see what our good friend enjoys so much about HFT that has kept him faithfully shooting this class over the years.

While driving to the range, my mind was kind of racing on several levels, wondering if I was gonna see a POI shift from having set up all my holdover based on the rifle in a Caldwell Tackdriver Bag vs. Off the Knee in the match and feeling hungry already, wanting to fire up the bbq and start cooking when I get to the range! Plus wondering what was gonna be on the swap tables!!!

Arriving at the match, the range is stirring with activity as the course is set, food is being unloaded and gear being set up for viewing!

After a short bit, the line is called hot for sighting in:

Today I'm shooting my Blue Laminate Paul Watts Advanced Tuned HW97k(.20) with Hawke Tactical Sidewinder 10 x 42 Mildot Scope. I figure, I'll just a take a few shots to see if it hits where I aim on some spinners and call it good as I'm probably only good for X number of good springer shots so why push it, lol! It seems to be hitting so after a handful of shots, I get up to touch base with the folks that I don't get to see often enough.

It's funny, quickly realize that this is a first at DRGC, 3 HW97 Blue Laminates at a match, warming up side by side at that with Pat J. and Lonnie S. bringing theirs as well. Pat J. and Mike G. shooting them below!!!

After a bit of warming up, the Shooter's Meeting is called and we find that the new Targets from Yegua arrived:

Moreover, our Match Director, Jonathan R. aka JohnnyPiston is graciously offering Group Tightener Supplements for everyone to consume for free before the match!!!

Today is gonna be a warm one with expected temps in the 100's so staying is hydrated is emphasized as the Lane Assignments are handed out. I am paired up with Eric K. on Lane 2 with his RWS34 Panther(.22). Lanes 1 and 2 are the club's farthest targets with ranges limited to 45 yards.

Eric K. on Lane 2:

Eric carefully sets up and hits the close target on the first shot, then misses the second. He then proceeds to clean the 45yard Bell Target with ease! As I set up, I'm anxious as can be to see if I can actually hit "a" target with my first attempt at using a springer in match, let alone HFT Style! After ranging the close target and Double checking it and the holdover chart on my I Phone, cock and load a Premier and try to settle in.

First thought through my mind now that my finger is on the blade and crosshair on the paddle is, how in the heck do people shoot with these low mag scopes! I'd been spoiled with shooting at 32x, 35x and 50x scopes for the past few years and at 10x, I was feeling a bit compromised/handicapped, lol!!! Exhale and break the shot and it falls! Time for a sigh of relief while resetting the target!!! I end up leaving that lane 3/4 and feeling good knowing that I was able to hit something!

Over on Lane 1, Sun L. is shooting his brand new TX200 MKIII(.17) with Leaper's/Centerpoint 6 - 24 x 56. This is Sun's first year of shooting FT and airguns for the most part having bought an RWS52 earlier in the year. After shooting a few matches with the 52, he decided to get a TX and is now trying to get situated with it. Today he is paired up with veteran FT Shooter Pat J. with his Blue Laminate HW97k(.17) and Leaper's 8 - 32 x 56.

Son L.:

Pat J.:

As we're making our way through the course we are shooting pretty evenly, trading misses as we go, lol!

Elsewhere on the course, several pairs of parent/child are on the course having fun shooting FT!

Mike and Maneva G., the father/daughter pair of shooters. Mike decided to try shooting a Blue Laminate HW97(.17) in Spring Piston Class and join in the fun while his daughter, the talented and accomplished 3P/10M shooting phenom was shooting her BSA Hornet(.17) in Open Class!

Mike G. shooting a Paul Watts Advance Tuned Blue Laminate HW97k(.17):

Maneva G. the young Femme Shooting Phenom and her BSA Hornet(.17):

Veteran FT shooter Guy O. and his son George were spending some quality time together slinging lead and experiencing/learning FT! Guy is shooting WFTF with his self tuned sub 12fpe FWB P70FT and George is shooting Open Class with a Steyr LG110 FT.

Guy O.(Left) and George(Right), the FT Machine and his prodigy!:

Battling it out in Open Class are veteran shooters John L. and Kevin Y. with dueling USFTs!

John L.:

Kevin Y. clamping down and locking in on a target, will he clear today's course?!?!:

As Eric and me make our way along the course, we're having a good time as usual and Eric keep joking around with me making comments like "see, you can shoot a springer and are having fun, forget the pcps and air tanks!"

The temps are warming up, not scorching but the heat is making its presence known. Pat J. takes a shot at a very generous kz and misses and looks a bit bewildered as to how he could miss it that bad. Shoots again and realizes a POI shift and starts looking at his gun, opening the loading port up reveals a Breach Seal that looked like a wad of chewed up bubble gum!!! From this point on he is stuck guesstimating the holdover for the added new variable!

As we're shooting, another Father & Son team come walking onto the range and its James Manou from Cometa USA and his son Nicolas!!!

James & Nicolas:

They came out to visit, say hi and drop off some products to local customers! Next time James plans on bringing his rifle to have some fun shooting FT!

Elsewhere on the course, veteran FT Shooter Bill H. and his Steyr LG100ZM are paired up with Match Director Jonathan R. and his TX200MKII enjoying a relaxing day on the range. Strangely enough Bill's gun started acting up and a quick chrony check revealed that its shooting a 40fps spread, possibly another victim of Heat Fatigue! Time for a visit to AZ's health spa treatment after the match!!!

Bill H.(Left) & Jonathan R.(Right):

Bill H. with his Steyr LG100 ZM:

Jonathan R. and his TX200MKII:

Lonnie S. and his Paul Watts Advance Tuned R9(.17) are paired up with Paul Booker and his HW97K(.17) doing the Spring Thing!!!

Lonnie S., check out that Dave G. Stock:

Paul B. and his pro tuned 97k(.17):

Ronnie E. is testing out his S400Carbine .22) in custom Zebrawood FT Stock after making some improvements to it. Today he is shooting with veteran shooter Greg T. and his Walther LG300 FT Dominator.

Ronnie E.:

Greg T.:

Another twist for today's match is a forced position Kneeling Lane which caught some off guard and had folks wondering how am I supposed to hold this position and shoot?!?!

Pat J. sizing up the target and plan of attack given the breach seal issue and a new position to deal with:

Greg T. looking like he's done this before!:

John L.:

Maneva G., hmmm, her form looks awful good for a kid on a positional lane!!!:

As we're getting towards the end of the course, one thing is clear, everyone deals with the heat differently. Some like to stay out of it and others can relax in it!!!

Paul B.:

Son L.:

We're also noticing targets are a little more challenging at the end with elevation, obstacles and tiny kz's! It was pretty amazing, Son L. who was shooting his new TX behind us actually threaded the needle and put a pellet through the tiny killzone of that red boar target!!!

With the end of the match, Eric and I shake hands, thanking each other for yet another wonderfully fun day of airgun shooting. This is followed by a beeline towards refreshments and to get the grill started!!!

Once the grill was up to operating temps, I started cooking Korean Style Boneless Short Ribs that I marinated the night before. A few minutes later, John L. fired up the other grill and got some links in motion, followed by huge Beef Ribs prepared by Guy O. and more Polish Links from Bill H. People were trickling over and getting plates ready with Pasta Salad, Potato Salad, Egg Rolls, Fresh Fruit, drinks, home made brownies, cookies, etc. that was completing the chow line. Folks brought so much food that some of it didn't even get cooked as there was an overload of that will get cooked later.

As we are eating and relaxing, the scores are being tallied up and there are some shoot offs coming!!! In PCP Class, there's a 3 way tie for 2nd and 3rd between Ronnie E., John L. and Guy O. who are tied at 40!

Also, Greg T., Bill H. and Maneva G. are tied at 31!

In the race for 2nd, 3rd and 4th Place, as the shooters line up, Guy O. had already put his rig away and decided to just share Ronnie's new gun! Everyone was teasing Ronnie about "Oh no, you're gonna get beat with your own gun!!!"

Ronnie was laughing away, as him and John L. get set up at the firing line.

John L. locks on and breaks his shot FAST and drops the target!

Ronnie may have worn sandals to shoot in today but when the rifle is in hand, he does try to shoot his best.

Ronnie is now focusing on the task at hand as best as he can given the food, heat and pressure!

He breaks the shot and catches face plate!!! Ronnie gets up and hands his rifle to Guy who gets settled in to position.

Guy sets up breaks the shot and the target falls with a crowd laughing and cheering which gets Guy and Ronnie laughing as well with this comical situation!

Now there are 2 battling it out for 2nd and 3rd, Guy comments that the kz's look small and realizes that Ronnie's scope is a Leupold 6.5 - 20 x 40AO EFR! He laughs and tries to settle down.

The crowd quiets down, the air is thick with rising heat and suspense!

John is ready, he breaks the shot and scores another hit!!! Guy lines up, breaks the shot and hits face plate!!! Whew, what a show!!!

Next in line is Greg and Maneva:

Pressure is on, John is ready, breaks the shot and scores a hit!!!

Maneva goes through her systematic sequence of setting up for a shot. Cool as a cucumber and accustomed to competition, she breaks the shot and the target falls like clockwork! Greg is up and also a seasoned competitor in a variety of shooting sports. He gets lined up, shoots and the target stands proud, kudos to the young gun!!!

At the end of the day, the final scores were as follows:

At this time, I would like to congratulate our outstanding Junior Maneva G. for her performance at the 2010 NRA and CMP 3P Nationals Events where she took 2nd at the NRA Event and 1st at the CMP in her age division/Sporter Class. At the CMP she scored the most bulls as well out of all the competitors!!! Fine shooting indeed and its going to be fun watching her travel this path!

Maneva G. with her medals from the Nationals:

In closing I must say that it was a truly fun day for Diablo Rod and Gun Club at the USI Gun Range. With all the shooting, camaraderie, and food at hand, it was a fine day that was capped off by a visit from USI Range President, Vice President and General Manager as we bbq'd.

They came down to say hi and let us know that they were happy with the fine job we have done with promoting/developing airgun shooting and to keep up the good work!

Regards,

Tony

Last edited by Trojan1994 on July 20th, 2010, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 20th, 2010, 8:51 pm #2

lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. -d

July 20th, 2010, 8:58 pm #3

and I would have to give a Qualified YES that we had a lot of FUN!!! Some darn good food and shooting as well!!!

Regards,

Tony

July 20th, 2010, 10:32 pm #4

Today's match at Diablo Rod and Gun Club(DRGC) will be a change of pace as we are shooting a reduced shot course and having a potluck lunch and airgun swap meet. As such we will forgo having a Pistol FT Match to accommodate extended eating, negotiating and a more social setting to relax and have some fun.

To mix things up, a few of us decided to try Hunter Field Target(HFT) in Spring Piston Class. Hunter is a class that is expected to open the door for many new and experienced shooters to shooting at knockover Field Targets as the equipment restrictions keep cost of entry at a minimum in comparison to shooting Full Blown FT Rigs and hopefully keep them shooting HFT or give Field Target a whirl as well.

At DRGC, Eric K. aka Oldshooter, is the long standing HFT Shooter that everyone identifies with when HFT at our club is mentioned. He's a purist if you will, the kind of guy that shoots HFT with a variety of self tuned affordable break barrel springers like R7's, RWS 34s and RWS350's. Today Lonnie S. and I decided we would give HFT a whirl and see what our good friend enjoys so much about HFT that has kept him faithfully shooting this class over the years.

While driving to the range, my mind was kind of racing on several levels, wondering if I was gonna see a POI shift from having set up all my holdover based on the rifle in a Caldwell Tackdriver Bag vs. Off the Knee in the match and feeling hungry already, wanting to fire up the bbq and start cooking when I get to the range! Plus wondering what was gonna be on the swap tables!!!

Arriving at the match, the range is stirring with activity as the course is set, food is being unloaded and gear being set up for viewing!

Today I'm shooting my Blue Laminate Paul Watts Advanced Tuned HW97k(.20) with Hawke Tactical Sidewinder 10 x 42 Mildot Scope. I figure, I'll just a take a few shots to see if it hits where I aim on some spinners and call it good as I'm probably only good for X number of good springer shots so why push it, lol! It seems to be hitting so after a handful of shots, I get up to touch base with the folks that I don't get to see often enough.

It's funny, quickly realize that this is a first at DRGC, 3 HW97 Blue Laminates at a match, warming up side by side at that with Pat J. and Lonnie S. bringing theirs as well. Pat J. and Mike G. shooting them below!!!

After a bit of warming up, the Shooter's Meeting is called and we find that the new Targets from Yegua arrived:

Moreover, our Match Director, Jonathan R. aka JohnnyPiston is graciously offering Group Tightener Supplements for everyone to consume for free before the match!!!

Today is gonna be a warm one with expected temps in the 100's so staying is hydrated is emphasized as the Lane Assignments are handed out. I am paired up with Eric K. on Lane 2 with his RWS34 Panther(.22). Lanes 1 and 2 are the club's farthest targets with ranges limited to 45 yards.

Eric K. on Lane 2:

Eric carefully sets up and hits the close target on the first shot, then misses the second. He then proceeds to clean the 45yard Bell Target with ease! As I set up, I'm anxious as can be to see if I can actually hit "a" target with my first attempt at using a springer in match, let alone HFT Style! After ranging the close target and Double checking it and the holdover chart on my I Phone, cock and load a Premier and try to settle in.

First thought through my mind now that my finger is on the blade and crosshair on the paddle is, how in the heck do people shoot with these low mag scopes! I'd been spoiled with shooting at 32x, 35x and 50x scopes for the past few years and at 10x, I was feeling a bit compromised/handicapped, lol!!! Exhale and break the shot and it falls! Time for a sigh of relief while resetting the target!!! I end up leaving that lane 3/4 and feeling good knowing that I was able to hit something!

Over on Lane 1, Sun L. is shooting his brand new TX200 MKIII(.17) with Leaper's/Centerpoint 6 - 24 x 56. This is Sun's first year of shooting FT and airguns for the most part having bought an RWS52 earlier in the year. After shooting a few matches with the 52, he decided to get a TX and is now trying to get situated with it. Today he is paired up with veteran FT Shooter Pat J. with his Blue Laminate HW97k(.17) and Leaper's 8 - 32 x 56.

Son L.:

Pat J.:

As we're making our way through the course we are shooting pretty evenly, trading misses as we go, lol!

Elsewhere on the course, several pairs of parent/child are on the course having fun shooting FT!

Mike and Maneva G., the father/daughter pair of shooters. Mike decided to try shooting a Blue Laminate HW97(.17) in Spring Piston Class and join in the fun while his daughter, the talented and accomplished 3P/10M shooting phenom was shooting her BSA Hornet(.17) in Open Class!

Veteran FT shooter Guy O. and his son George were spending some quality time together slinging lead and experiencing/learning FT! Guy is shooting WFTF with his self tuned sub 12fpe FWB P70FT and George is shooting Open Class with a Steyr LG110 FT.

Battling it out in Open Class are veteran shooters John L. and Kevin Y. with dueling USFTs!

John L.:

Kevin Y. clamping down and locking in on a target, will he clear today's course?!?!:

As Eric and me make our way along the course, we're having a good time as usual and Eric keep joking around with me making comments like "see, you can shoot a springer and are having fun, forget the pcps and air tanks!"

The temps are warming up, not scorching but the heat is making its presence known. Pat J. takes a shot at a very generous kz and misses and looks a bit bewildered as to how he could miss it that bad. Shoots again and realizes a POI shift and starts looking at his gun, opening the loading port up reveals a Breach Seal that looked like a wad of chewed up bubble gum!!! From this point on he is stuck guesstimating the holdover for the added new variable!

As we're shooting, another Father & Son team come walking onto the range and its James Manou from Cometa USA and his son Nicolas!!!

James & Nicolas:

They came out to visit, say hi and drop off some products to local customers! Next time James plans on bringing his rifle to have some fun shooting FT!

Elsewhere on the course, veteran FT Shooter Bill H. and his Steyr LG100ZM are paired up with Match Director Jonathan R. and his TX200MKII enjoying a relaxing day on the range. Strangely enough Bill's gun started acting up and a quick chrony check revealed that its shooting a 40fps spread, possibly another victim of Heat Fatigue! Time for a visit to AZ's health spa treatment after the match!!!

Lonnie S. and his Paul Watts Advance Tuned R9(.17) are paired up with Paul Booker and his HW97K(.17) doing the Spring Thing!!!

Ronnie E. is testing out his S400Carbine .22) in custom Zebrawood FT Stock after making some improvements to it. Today he is shooting with veteran shooter Greg T. and his Walther LG300 FT Dominator.

Ronnie E.:

Greg T.:

Another twist for today's match is a forced position Kneeling Lane which caught some off guard and had folks wondering how am I supposed to hold this position and shoot?!?!

Pat J. sizing up the target and plan of attack given the breach seal issue and a new position to deal with:

John L.:

As we're getting towards the end of the course, one thing is clear, everyone deals with the heat differently. Some like to stay out of it and others can relax in it!!!

Paul B.:

Son L.:

We're also noticing targets are a little more challenging at the end with elevation, obstacles and tiny kz's! It was pretty amazing, Son L. who was shooting his new TX behind us actually threaded the needle and put a pellet through the tiny killzone of that red boar target!!!

With the end of the match, Eric and I shake hands, thanking each other for yet another wonderfully fun day of airgun shooting. This is followed by a beeline towards refreshments and to get the grill started!!!

Once the grill was up to operating temps, I started cooking Korean Style Boneless Short Ribs that I marinated the night before. A few minutes later, John L. fired up the other grill and got some links in motion, followed by huge Beef Ribs prepared by Guy O. and more Polish Links from Bill H. People were trickling over and getting plates ready with Pasta Salad, Potato Salad, Egg Rolls, Fresh Fruit, drinks, home made brownies, cookies, etc. that was completing the chow line. Folks brought so much food that some of it didn't even get cooked as there was an overload of that will get cooked later.

As we are eating and relaxing, the scores are being tallied up and there are some shoot offs coming!!! In PCP Class, there's a 3 way tie for 2nd and 3rd between Ronnie E., John L. and Guy O. who are tied at 40!

In the race for 2nd, 3rd and 4th Place, as the shooters line up, Guy O. had already put his rig away and decided to just share Ronnie's new gun! Everyone was teasing Ronnie about "Oh no, you're gonna get beat with your own gun!!!"

Ronnie may have worn sandals to shoot in today but when the rifle is in hand, he does try to shoot his best.

Ronnie is now focusing on the task at hand as best as he can given the food, heat and pressure!

He breaks the shot and catches face plate!!! Ronnie gets up and hands his rifle to Guy who gets settled in to position.

Guy sets up breaks the shot and the target falls with a crowd laughing and cheering which gets Guy and Ronnie laughing as well with this comical situation!

Now there are 2 battling it out for 2nd and 3rd, Guy comments that the kz's look small and realizes that Ronnie's scope is a Leupold 6.5 - 20 x 40AO EFR! He laughs and tries to settle down.

John is ready, he breaks the shot and scores another hit!!! Guy lines up, breaks the shot and hits face plate!!! Whew, what a show!!!

Maneva goes through her systematic sequence of setting up for a shot. Cool as a cucumber and accustomed to competition, she breaks the shot and the target falls like clockwork! Greg is up and also a seasoned competitor in a variety of shooting sports. He gets lined up, shoots and the target stands proud, kudos to the young gun!!!

At this time, I would like to congratulate our outstanding Junior Maneva G. for her performance at the 2010 NRA and CMP 3P Nationals Events where she took 2nd at the NRA Event and 1st at the CMP in her age division/Sporter Class. At the CMP she scored the most bulls as well out of all the competitors!!! Fine shooting indeed and its going to be fun watching her travel this path!

In closing I must say that it was a truly fun day for Diablo Rod and Gun Club at the USI Gun Range. With all the shooting, camaraderie, and food at hand, it was a fine day that was capped off by a visit from USI Range President, Vice President and General Manager as we bbq'd.

They came down to say hi and let us know that they were happy with the fine job we have done with promoting/developing airgun shooting and to keep up the good work!

Regards,

Tony

...somehow, I know how that feels...LOL! Good shooting.

Tony, another great match report and lots of pictures. You guys certainly have some high-priced hardware and know how to shoot it.

It is also obvious that all attending looked to have a great time.

Best regards,
Mark

July 20th, 2010, 11:05 pm #5

had a great time shooting. real impressed shooting along side a USFT and FWB in a shoot off with my little old S400 22 cal i really like the rifle although not the most fancy rig on the market. the one thing i realized after getting home is that Guy O. should not have been in the shoot off with the open class shooters LOL as he entered in WFTF. LOL RMAO

July 20th, 2010, 11:21 pm #6

Eric K. on Lane 2:

Son L.:

Pat J.:

John L.:

James & Nicolas:

Ronnie E.:

Greg T.:

John L.:

Paul B.:

Son L.:

Regards,

Tony

forward to her scores improving in f/t as she already is the champ in standing competition. she is tracking good and will be a contender in f/t next year. look out guys-----she is hot on our tail

July 20th, 2010, 11:43 pm #7

Tony, another great match report and lots of pictures. You guys certainly have some high-priced hardware and know how to shoot it.

Best regards,
Mark
Some good shooting, bbq and joking round to be found all over da place!!!

Glad you enjoyed the read!

Regards,

Tony

July 20th, 2010, 11:46 pm #8

forward to her scores improving in f/t as she already is the champ in standing competition. she is tracking good and will be a contender in f/t next year. look out guys-----she is hot on our tail
in any airgun discipline until her. It's amazing that she's done it at such a young age and who knows, the Olympics could be in her future!

My daughter and I can't wait to get some training/tips tomorrow, gotta mess with quickly getting some 10M rifles set up now!!!

Regards,

Tony

July 21st, 2010, 1:45 am #9

Best regards,
Mark
You da MAN!!!
v.p.

July 21st, 2010, 2:35 am #10

Eric K. on Lane 2:

Son L.:

Pat J.:

John L.:

James & Nicolas:

Ronnie E.:

Greg T.:

John L.:

Paul B.:

Son L.:

Regards,

Tony

Excellent job summing up how our Sunday went! It was as fun as it looked.

Thanks to everybody for 'pitching in' and making it happen! I must say, it was a joy to see the elation from fellow shooters after knocking down some of them targets . We really do have an amazing group of both old and new, and it's always a good time when we get together.

Congrats to all on some fine shooting, and to Kevin for zee perfect score!

J