Diablo Rod and Gun Club FT Match Report 3/20/11 - PICS &Video

Diablo Rod and Gun Club FT Match Report 3/20/11 - PICS &Video

March 21st, 2011, 11:30 pm #1

After a long winter break from Field Target, the 2011 Season is upon us with Kick Off slated for March 20th. Old man Winter is still with us as the Bay Area has been experiencing rain storm after rainstorm and the FT Match is expected to be a wet and cold one. No worries though as its par for the course on the Field of Honor.

Field Target is a hunting simulation, as such it is not just a Fair Weather Event, the FT Faithful will show as they have for years at Diablo Rod & Gun Club and hopefully some new faces as well with the new season at hand for Northern California's Oldest and Largest group of Field Target Enthusiasts.

As I get into my van to make the trek up to the club, its cold, wet and windy and makes me think of what some folks had told me from the U.K. when describing an FT Event in that it would be proper that it was cold, wet, windy and that you hadn't got any sleep the night before because you were camping at the range with others that were running a generator all night and you were hungover as well...good times await!

The weather across the San Francisco Bay showed breaks but as I drove toward the range, it was clear that there would be waves of off and on showers today. Pulling into the range, there are a surprising number of cars in the lot and people busy putting up Canopies, setting targets and running strings. The Diablo Crew is busy with some helping new faces in the mix!

What a pleasure to see the usual suspects on the morning of an FT Match, let alone the opportunity to meet new shooters!

One of the relatively new guys that came to help set up, say hi and get some information was Tom F.. Tom is the lucky guy that won the Talon SS at the Pacific Airgun Expo!

Tom F.:

Once the 46 shot course and sight in area have been set, the line was called "HOT" and folks were busy trying to get rifles sighted in! I think this was the first match I'd ever been to where only 3 shooters at best had their clicks or holdover reasonably figured out in advance! All over the firing line, the common phrase was "well I'm sighted in at 25 yards!"

It was pretty amazing, the weather was horrible but there was a vibe/energy goin' round and ya could feel it and see it. As I talked with Jonathan R. about it, we both knew "Today was going to be a GOOD DAY!"

After a long sight in session, the Shooter's Meeting was called so that awards could be presented for last year's performances and to get people ready and paired up for today's match. Accuracy Enhancing Donuts and sweet Spanish Bread await the shooters inside the clubhouse to get them in "the zone" for todays event, lol!

Drum Roll for the 2010 FT Awards!!!

In PCP Open Class-

1st Place, Kevin Yee:

2nd Place, John Linday:

3rd Place, Guy Omictin:

In Piston Class-

1st Place, Jonathan Reyes:

2nd Place, Paul Booker:

3rd Place, Doug Burke:

In addition, awards were given to shooters that consistently shot in their respective classes to recognize their hard work and dedication to shoot their classes, even if there was often a lack of other competitors on a given match day, these folks showed up and shot their best!

Off Hand Class, Mike Aber:

Hunter Class, Eric Ko:

Youth Shooter, Maneva Gill:

With the awards presentation over, its Kick Off Time for the 2011 FT Season at Diablo Rod & Gun Club!!!

New shooter's were paired up with veteran shooters to help them learn the game and how the match runs at our club.

Ed P. is a new airgun shooter with an RWS 34(.17) that is experienced with powder burners and wanted to give FT a try. His 34 was unscoped so he paired up with Jonathan R. and shared Jonathan's TX200 SR for the match.

Ed P. and Jonthan R.:

Ed P.:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Richard A. is an airgun shooter from the Sacramento Area that drove down with his friend Matt to check out what the Diablo Rod and Gun Club has to offer Airgun Enthusiasts. Richard was paired up Kevin Y. and Matt wanted to just get trigger time with his rifles on the sight in range to figure out the trajectories and get them dialed in a bit.

Richard A.:

Kevin Y.:

Matt:

Eric C. is a new shooter that is partnered up with Riz M.:

Riz M.:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Along the course, veteran shooters are having at it, getting their FT Groove on after the long vacation:

Lonnie S. with his new S400C in Peterbuilt Stock:

Doug B., take a look at the flag pinned due north!

Mike A.:

Eric K.:

As the match is moving along, a couple of familiar faces drop in to visit friends and socialize Diablo Style! Frank M. and Al drove from Marin and San Francisco and in usual fashion, brought food for the grill and their great personalities to add to the FT experience and festivities! Time to start get ready for grillin' and chillin'!

Frank M.:

Al:

On today's menu, 1/3lb. Sirloin Burgers and a variety of mild and hot links with all the fixings to add!

At Diablo, we enjoy the post match Eating, Socializing and Plinking as much as shooting the Match itself, its all about friends getting together with their airguns!

With the match over, for now, time to eat, relax and hang out!

Now that everyone is full of food and relaxed, wouldn't ya know it, scores have been tallied and a Shoot Off is at hand to decide 1st and 2nd Place in Piston Class!!!

On that note, I head outside to set up the target, a 3/8" kz atop a barrel around 20ish yards.

Up at bat are Jonathan R. and Riz M.:

With the Shoot Off over, time to hang out and plink with friends until day's end when the public range closes and we need to close the facility down! It was a great time with friends, both old and new! Thanks again to Diablo Rod and Gun Club and the USI Range for providing yet another fun and safe event for us airgunners.

Special thanks to the new shooters that braved the weather and distance to attend our match and see a glimpse of what Diablo Rod and Gun Club has to offer airgunners. Field Target, Fun Shoots, Silhouettes, 10m, 3P, and Bench Rest are all available for Airgunners to participate in and enjoy. We look forward to seeing you guys again and bring friends if you can!

Til next time!

Regards,

Tony

Last edited by Trojan1994 on March 21st, 2011, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 22nd, 2011, 12:39 am #2

Champ Mr. Piston lucky to have those protective glasses on to prevent any Mustard or Onion shrapnel from that wild burger he is about to tear into! Looks like fun guys!

March 22nd, 2011, 12:42 am #3

It was a big ole time!!!

Regards,

Tony

March 22nd, 2011, 12:45 am #4

After a long winter break from Field Target, the 2011 Season is upon us with Kick Off slated for March 20th. Old man Winter is still with us as the Bay Area has been experiencing rain storm after rainstorm and the FT Match is expected to be a wet and cold one. No worries though as its par for the course on the Field of Honor.

Field Target is a hunting simulation, as such it is not just a Fair Weather Event, the FT Faithful will show as they have for years at Diablo Rod & Gun Club and hopefully some new faces as well with the new season at hand for Northern California's Oldest and Largest group of Field Target Enthusiasts.

As I get into my van to make the trek up to the club, its cold, wet and windy and makes me think of what some folks had told me from the U.K. when describing an FT Event in that it would be proper that it was cold, wet, windy and that you hadn't got any sleep the night before because you were camping at the range with others that were running a generator all night and you were hungover as well...good times await!

The weather across the San Francisco Bay showed breaks but as I drove toward the range, it was clear that there would be waves of off and on showers today. Pulling into the range, there are a surprising number of cars in the lot and people busy putting up Canopies, setting targets and running strings. The Diablo Crew is busy with some helping new faces in the mix!

What a pleasure to see the usual suspects on the morning of an FT Match, let alone the opportunity to meet new shooters!

One of the relatively new guys that came to help set up, say hi and get some information was Tom F.. Tom is the lucky guy that won the Talon SS at the Pacific Airgun Expo!

Tom F.:

Once the 46 shot course and sight in area have been set, the line was called "HOT" and folks were busy trying to get rifles sighted in! I think this was the first match I'd ever been to where only 3 shooters at best had their clicks or holdover reasonably figured out in advance! All over the firing line, the common phrase was "well I'm sighted in at 25 yards!"

It was pretty amazing, the weather was horrible but there was a vibe/energy goin' round and ya could feel it and see it. As I talked with Jonathan R. about it, we both knew "Today was going to be a GOOD DAY!"

After a long sight in session, the Shooter's Meeting was called so that awards could be presented for last year's performances and to get people ready and paired up for today's match. Accuracy Enhancing Donuts and sweet Spanish Bread await the shooters inside the clubhouse to get them in "the zone" for todays event, lol!

In PCP Open Class-

1st Place, Kevin Yee:

2nd Place, John Linday:

3rd Place, Guy Omictin:

In Piston Class-

2nd Place, Paul Booker:

3rd Place, Doug Burke:

In addition, awards were given to shooters that consistently shot in their respective classes to recognize their hard work and dedication to shoot their classes, even if there was often a lack of other competitors on a given match day, these folks showed up and shot their best!

Hunter Class, Eric Ko:

With the awards presentation over, its Kick Off Time for the 2011 FT Season at Diablo Rod & Gun Club!!!

New shooter's were paired up with veteran shooters to help them learn the game and how the match runs at our club.

Ed P. is a new airgun shooter with an RWS 34(.17) that is experienced with powder burners and wanted to give FT a try. His 34 was unscoped so he paired up with Jonathan R. and shared Jonathan's TX200 SR for the match.

Ed P. and Jonthan R.:

Ed P.:

Richard A. is an airgun shooter from the Sacramento Area that drove down with his friend Matt to check out what the Diablo Rod and Gun Club has to offer Airgun Enthusiasts. Richard was paired up Kevin Y. and Matt wanted to just get trigger time with his rifles on the sight in range to figure out the trajectories and get them dialed in a bit.

Richard A.:

Kevin Y.:

Matt:

Riz M.:

Along the course, veteran shooters are having at it, getting their FT Groove on after the long vacation:

Mike A.:

Eric K.:

As the match is moving along, a couple of familiar faces drop in to visit friends and socialize Diablo Style! Frank M. and Al drove from Marin and San Francisco and in usual fashion, brought food for the grill and their great personalities to add to the FT experience and festivities! Time to start get ready for grillin' and chillin'!

Frank M.:

Al:

On today's menu, 1/3lb. Sirloin Burgers and a variety of mild and hot links with all the fixings to add!

At Diablo, we enjoy the post match Eating, Socializing and Plinking as much as shooting the Match itself, its all about friends getting together with their airguns!

Now that everyone is full of food and relaxed, wouldn't ya know it, scores have been tallied and a Shoot Off is at hand to decide 1st and 2nd Place in Piston Class!!!

On that note, I head outside to set up the target, a 3/8" kz atop a barrel around 20ish yards.

With the Shoot Off over, time to hang out and plink with friends until day's end when the public range closes and we need to close the facility down! It was a great time with friends, both old and new! Thanks again to Diablo Rod and Gun Club and the USI Range for providing yet another fun and safe event for us airgunners.

Special thanks to the new shooters that braved the weather and distance to attend our match and see a glimpse of what Diablo Rod and Gun Club has to offer airgunners. Field Target, Fun Shoots, Silhouettes, 10m, 3P, and Bench Rest are all available for Airgunners to participate in and enjoy. We look forward to seeing you guys again and bring friends if you can!

Til next time!

Regards,

Tony

Guy shot WFTF all year while I shot open.... I'd hate to go against him on a level playing field.

Congrats to all the winners, and to Jonny P. for a great year!

BS

March 22nd, 2011, 12:49 am #5

and it reflected in the scores!!! It's gonna be a great year all around!

Regards,

Tony

March 22nd, 2011, 12:49 am #6

Tom F.:

In PCP Open Class-

1st Place, Kevin Yee:

2nd Place, John Linday:

3rd Place, Guy Omictin:

In Piston Class-

2nd Place, Paul Booker:

3rd Place, Doug Burke:

Hunter Class, Eric Ko:

Ed P. and Jonthan R.:

Ed P.:

Richard A.:

Kevin Y.:

Matt:

Riz M.:

Mike A.:

Eric K.:

Frank M.:

Al:

Til next time!

Regards,

Tony

weather. Nice report & pics. Congratulations to the winners of those beautiful trophies. Thanks for sharing.

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

March 22nd, 2011, 12:52 am #7

is a treat indeed!

Regards,

Tony

March 22nd, 2011, 1:18 am #8

Tom F.:

In PCP Open Class-

1st Place, Kevin Yee:

2nd Place, John Linday:

3rd Place, Guy Omictin:

In Piston Class-

2nd Place, Paul Booker:

3rd Place, Doug Burke:

Hunter Class, Eric Ko:

Ed P. and Jonthan R.:

Ed P.:

Richard A.:

Kevin Y.:

Matt:

Riz M.:

Mike A.:

Eric K.:

Frank M.:

Al:

Til next time!

Regards,

Tony

Enjoyed the read and the picx

I've counted to infinity......twice

March 22nd, 2011, 2:09 am #9

Tom F.:

In PCP Open Class-

1st Place, Kevin Yee:

2nd Place, John Linday:

3rd Place, Guy Omictin:

In Piston Class-

2nd Place, Paul Booker:

3rd Place, Doug Burke:

Hunter Class, Eric Ko:

Ed P. and Jonthan R.:

Ed P.:

Richard A.:

Kevin Y.:

Matt:

Riz M.:

Mike A.:

Eric K.:

Frank M.:

Al:

Til next time!

Regards,

Tony

Great writeup Tony.... The weather was very accomodating and I had a great day hanging out with our airgun gansters.

Getting to shoot "RED" my new Mac1 Hunter for the first time was a blast and she worked flawlessly... what a pleasure it is to shoot a simple gun that delivers amazing consistency and accuracy.

Thank you all for a great day.

Airguns are a gas

Boomer

March 22nd, 2011, 2:10 am #10

Tom F.:

In PCP Open Class-

1st Place, Kevin Yee:

2nd Place, John Linday:

3rd Place, Guy Omictin:

In Piston Class-

2nd Place, Paul Booker:

3rd Place, Doug Burke:

Hunter Class, Eric Ko:

Ed P. and Jonthan R.:

Ed P.:

Richard A.:

Kevin Y.:

Matt:

Riz M.:

Mike A.:

Eric K.:

Frank M.:

Al:

Til next time!

Regards,

Tony

Sorry FT fans... Boomer Technology is a club joke... No products or services will be available in the foreseeable future as the Boomer Technology Laboratory is a nickname for my home workshop and I'm too busy with my own projects to seek work.

I enjoy helping my fellow Diablo Rod and Gun Club and Diablo Field Target Association Club members with projects on their airguns in my little machine shop at home to pay them back (and I enjoy doing it)for setting my targets and the range setup/teardown work I can't do due to physical disabilities.

My basic machine work and help with work on their airguns doesn't have anything to do with their excellent shooting skills. I just make it a little easier for our club members to get their projects done.

Airguns are a gas

Boomer