Diablo Rod and Gun Club Airgun Silhouette Match Report

Diablo Rod and Gun Club Airgun Silhouette Match Report

September 20th, 2011, 4:04 pm #1

Airgun Silhouette, September 17, 2011
Diablo Rod and Gun Club, Concord California
Mike Aber, Match Director:

The weather today was as nice as it gets on the Concord range, a light breeze at noon and it stayed that way all day. It's always nice to introduce new shooters to Airgun Silhouette; we had a couple of new faces on the range including Kevin Newton shooting his Gamo rifle and Matt Lababedy shot our resettables for the first time. Our Rifle targets got a workout today with 4 of 6 rifle entries shooting Varmint Class off the benches.

Dont be afraid to bring the grandkids, your children, or wife to shoot a match off the benches. Juniors must be 8 years old with continuous adult supervision on the range and juniors below 18 shoot free.

Richard Aguilar won our new Varmint Air Rifle Match with a 37/40 shooting his .177 Red and Black Mac1 Hunter with a Bushnell 6/24 scope on the bench.

Matt Lababeny did a great job of taking 2nd (33/40) in the Varmint Air Rifle Match with his .177 Air Arms TX200.

Son Lu came in third (26/40) with his .20caliber HW97.

Kevin Newton got a couple of targets with his Gamo rifle his first time out Good job Kevin, it gets easier with more experience.

George Meamber won the Open Class Air Rifle Match with his .22 Crosman Maurader. It looks like George has the 45 yard Rams dialed in.

Eric Ko won the Sporter Air Rifle Match shooting his very accurate, self tuned RWS34 with a very respectable 19/40 score almost half of the targets off hand with a spring gun Eric shoots his RWS 34 very well.

Mike Aber won the Air Pistol Open Sight Standing Match with a score of 19/40 shooting his IZH46M with a set of Martens peep sights with a Merit adjustable rear aperture. Matt Lababedy did a great job of shooting 13/40 with his IZH46M in his first open sight air pistol standing match.

Mike Aber won the Air Pistol Standing Match with a score of 28/40 Shooting his IZH46M with a Wal-Mart Center Point 4-16X 44 scope.

We ended the match a little early so we had a plinkathon while I cooked ½ pound premium ground chuck burgers and Millers hot dogs with all the fixings. We also had some fresh cut watermelon, chips, and sodas but ants found the snicker doodle and chocolate dipped cookies before we had a chance to eat them.

Many thanks to all of you that setup/teardown and cleanup the range for me at our matches without your help it wouldnt be possible to run these matches.

Pictures by: Tony Inocentes... thanks Trojan Tony!

Airgun Silhouette Match Results September 17, 2011

Outdoor Air Pistol:
Mike Aber 7,8,8,5 28/40 AA MW
Richard Aguilar 7,4,4,3 18/40 A

Outdoor Air Pistol Open Sight:
Mike Aber 5,7,4,3 19/40 AA MW
Eric Ko 6,4,3,4 17/40 AA
Matt Lababedy 3,5,4,1 13/40 A

Outdoor Sporter Rifle:
Eric Ko 6,5,4,4 19/40 A MW (AA Score)

Outdoor Open Air Rifle:
George Meamber 0,1,0,5 6/40 B MW (A score)

Varmint Air Rifle:
Richard Aguilar 9,10,10,8 37/40 MW (Open Class Rifle)
Matt Lababedy 9,8,8,8 33/40 (1st Sporter Class Rifle)
Son Lu 7,4,6,9 26/40 (Sporter Class Rifle)
Kevin Newton 1,0,0,1 2/40 B (First Match)

7 shooters, 11 entries
--------------------------------------------------
Mike Aber, Match Director

Airguns are a gas

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer_Mikey on September 20th, 2011, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 20th, 2011, 4:24 pm #2

FT, 10M, etc. for us airgunners. Glad to see your reports reflecting that your match is a Diablo Rod and Gun Club Event.

Conditions were nice for the event, wind was mild, wish I could of stayed but as you know, I do have a daughter that's growing up fast and her school's festival took priority for me and my wife.

Oh, those Chuck Burgers!!! I should of fired the grill up while I was there, lol!!!

You're doing a great job with the Silhouette Program and your efforts are certainly noted and appreciated by all that witness and experience it. Keep up the great work and I'll be free for the next match to actually shoot, cook and eat!!!

Regards,

Tony

lhd

September 20th, 2011, 5:20 pm #3

The weather today was as nice as it gets on the Concord range, a light breeze at noon and it stayed that way all day. It's always nice to introduce new shooters to Airgun Silhouette; we had a couple of new faces on the range including Kevin Newton shooting his Gamo rifle and Matt Lababedy shot our resettables for the first time. Our Rifle targets got a workout today with 4 of 6 rifle entries shooting Varmint Class off the benches.

Dont be afraid to bring the grandkids, your children, or wife to shoot a match off the benches. Juniors must be 8 years old with continuous adult supervision on the range and juniors below 18 shoot free.

Richard Aguilar won our new Varmint Air Rifle Match with a 37/40 shooting his .177 Red and Black Mac1 Hunter with a Bushnell 6/24 scope on the bench.

Matt Lababeny did a great job of taking 2nd (33/40) in the Varmint Air Rifle Match with his .177 Air Arms TX200.

Kevin Newton got a couple of targets with his Gamo rifle his first time out Good job Kevin, it gets easier with more experience.

George Meamber won the Open Class Air Rifle Match with his .22 Crosman Maurader. It looks like George has the 45 yard Rams dialed in.

Eric Ko won the Sporter Air Rifle Match shooting his very accurate, self tuned RWS34 with a very respectable 19/40 score almost half of the targets off hand with a spring gun Eric shoots his RWS 34 very well.

Mike Aber won the Air Pistol Open Sight Standing Match with a score of 19/40 shooting his IZH46M with a set of Martens peep sights with a Merit adjustable rear aperture. Matt Lababedy did a great job of shooting 13/40 with his IZH46M in his first open sight air pistol standing match.

Mike Aber won the Air Pistol Standing Match with a score of 28/40 Shooting his IZH46M with a Wal-Mart Center Point 4-16X 44 scope.

We ended the match a little early so we had a plinkathon while I cooked ½ pound premium ground chuck burgers and Millers hot dogs with all the fixings. We also had some fresh cut watermelon, chips, and sodas but ants found the snicker doodle and chocolate dipped cookies before we had a chance to eat them.

Many thanks to all of you that setup/teardown and cleanup the range for me at our matches without your help it wouldnt be possible to run these matches.

Outdoor Air Pistol:

Eric Ko 6,4,3,4 17/40 AA

Outdoor Sporter Rifle:

Outdoor Open Air Rifle:

Varmint Air Rifle:

7 shooters, 11 entries

Airguns are a gas

Boomer
BTW,

In the Varmint class, what are the rules ... are same targets, timing, and distances used as for the regular offhand rifle game?

September 20th, 2011, 7:05 pm #4

Outdoor Air Pistol:

Eric Ko 6,4,3,4 17/40 AA

Outdoor Sporter Rifle:

Outdoor Open Air Rifle:

Varmint Air Rifle:

7 shooters, 11 entries

Airguns are a gas

Boomer
Thanks Boomer, The burgers were Great -nt

September 21st, 2011, 6:47 am #5

BTW,

In the Varmint class, what are the rules ... are same targets, timing, and distances used as for the regular offhand rifle game?
Hi Larry,

Yes, same rules as offhand shot from the benches... last month several of the guys were intimidated by the size and distances of the rifle targets as an offhand game so I created a Varmint Class to see if there would be interest. Our Smallbore Silhouette Matches have a Varmint Class and IMO it's a good way to transition shooters to the offhand game. In the future, I'll let Varmint Class shooters shoot from any freestyle position they wish including sitting and from a bucket with sticks. It'll be interesting to see if seated shooters can get 5 shots off in 2 1/2 minutes.

Another event I want to try is an offhand 10 Meter Target Rifle Class shot at the pistol target distances with a 6-7 fpe limit. Everyone with an old or new 10M Match rifle, CO2 rifle or R7/HW30/Bronco/etc. could have a blast. IMO this would be great training for regular Air Rifle Silhouette Matches and provide another fun event for the whole family to participate in with a modest rifle. A Varmint Class for this event could be viable as well, especially for Juniors.

Airguns are a gas

Boomer

lhd

September 21st, 2011, 10:08 pm #6

I like the any position scenario, though I think prone might be too much both if the guys use special mats, or allowed gloves and slings or anything like that.

We used to once in awhile shoot the rifle distances with iron sight rifles from the sitting position, and it was lots of fun, with little problem with the rifle time limit of 2.5 minutes per bank of five.

As to 10M rifle, when fitted with scopes they ruled the rifle game when it started, once the distances were changed from a true 1/10 scale (fifty meter rams) to the current rifle distances. It would be hard to miss with those long guns on the pistol line.