Diablo Field Target Match report 4/15/12

Diablo Field Target Match report 4/15/12

April 17th, 2012, 12:54 am #1

April 15th.... Yuck !!! For obvious reasons I've always disliked that date. But this year, on our great country's special day, I was in my happy place. In Concord, CA with my friends from Diablo Rod and Gun Club shooting Field Target....Yeah buddy!!

In the days leading up to the match however, I was a little concerned that the weather was going to "rain on our parade". Earlier in the week, we had a pretty big front move through the area and we experienced "car alarm tripping" thunder, 276 lightning strikes in one night, some hail, and 3 inches or so of rain for the week. But at Diablo, we are committed to the cause of FT fun regardless of the conditions so my truck was packed for the Sunday morning drive as usual.

It was 8:35am when I arrived, and director John Lindsay was their in faithful form already opening the doors to our target equipment shed and the clubhouse preparing the scene. Thanks to everyones help in the early morning air, we had the course set up smoothly and efficiently. Several of our members must of had faith in the weather forecast (and their taxes done) because the practice line filled in quickly and spilled over into the next bay as about 20 shooters showed up to test their skills against the diabolical course of metal quarry awaiting for them at our club's AP range. During the warm up period a couple of new toys caught my eye and my camera.

Son with his custom stocked HW100.

Matt's TM100. Looking good Matt!!

Somehow Riz's Steyer changed colors from silver to red. hmmmm.. is it a paint job or did he find another one in the closet? hee hee!

Before we got started with our the pre-match shooters meeting, we had a short awards ceremony to recognize the accomplishments of our 2011 season's award winners. In order to qualify for a "seasonal award" you have to shoot at least 4 matches in the same division. We calculate each shooters "highest percentaged" 4 divisional matches and tally the results. Last year, several of our club's newer shooters improved considerably throughout the season. Not only that, but participation in both the Piston and Hunter divisions has grown in leaps and bounds. Of whom was once the newbie FT-er are now one of the skilled marksmen of the club and the results are in. During the meeting, Match Director-John Lindsay insightfully pointed out, that multiple positions in the various divisions for 2011 were won or lost with one single pellet. It was that close!

A big "THANK YOU" goes to all of our FT shooters for comming out and participating. Its all of you that make our club such an enjoyable experience. Congratulations to each of the award winners for their achievements in 2011!!

The 2011 awards went as followed:

PRECHARGED DIVISION:
John Lindsay 1st place 2011
Jim Whittlesy 2nd place 2011
Lonnie Smith 3rd place 2011

PISTON DIVISION:
Rizalde Marquez 1st place 2011
Paul Booker 2nd place 2011
Son Lu 3rd place 2011

HUNTER DIVISION
Jim Rubiales 1st place 2011
Jim Cyran 2nd place 2011
Matt Lababedy 3rd place 2011

On to the match.... During the match the weather warmed up very nicely. It was cloudy at first but I had my sweatshirt off by start time and by the end of the day the California sunshine was beaming. Of course I forgot to pack the sunscreen. ouch..!!

About halfway through the match we had a Turkey that decided to pay us a visit on the range.... (had me wondering how many of you guys remembered it was still turkey season this year). Don't worry, we don't allow any killing of wild life on the range. We declared the range cold as Director Kevin Yee took chase on the critter to "shoo" it away from danger. It was fun to see despite the interuption.

After the match we had a great lunch and some social time! A BIG, BIG thanks to all the members who brought the tasty treats and lunch items. We enjoyed stadium dogs and chili, potato salad, and lots of chips, cookies & drinks to go around. No tummy was left behind as the chili pot and dog steamer were quickly ravished!

Hungry tummy's got there before the camera

Some delicious treats!

Out on the range....

We've welcomed a few new shooters to the group. Most recently, Russ and Simon have joined us. Also, Pat and Chris have just put a few matches under their belts. All seem to be well on their way to knocking down some targets. Nice to have you fellas with us! Keep up the good work. You're doing great!

On top of the standings, John Lindsay nearly cleaned the course only missing one shot and showing us why he is the 2011 PCP champ! "Da Springman"-Kevin Yee was on fire to. He hit every single seated shot on the course. (there were some tough ones out there to)Unfortuneately, the offhand lane was the demise to his perfect score hopes. Regardless, he still shot very well and was the piston division leader for the day. In Hunter, the "battle of the Jims" has continued on. I don't know how the tied score flew under the "Directors" radar but it did so there was no shoot off for the match winner in Hunter. Never-the-less that was some excellent shooting by both of you!

There was some impressive shooting within the standings to. I noticed Mike Aber shot a 40 on his first time shooting Hunter division. If he can keep that up he'll be giving the other HFT shooters some more competition. As you can see below, several others shot strong matches as well!

On the scoreboard:

PRECHARGED:
John L. 47
Rizalde M. 44
Son L. 41
Jim W. 35
Chris 34
Pat R. 28

Piston:
Kevin Y. 44
Paul B. 39
Eric C. 32
Doug B. 31

Hunter
Jim C. 45
Jim R. 45
Mike A. 40
George M. 24
Matt L. 38
Roger. 34
Russ (waiting on score)
Eric K. 31 (piston)
Lonnie S 30 (piston)
Simon L. 10 (piston)

Birdie in the window.

After lunch we got started on setting up for our scheduled 20 shot PFT match.
We had 7 pistoleers waiting give it a go. Russ shot Hunter style from a standing postion with me, using his Brocock Grand Prix. Eric K. shot his LD. Jim C came packing his .22 Prod as did myself. Mike Aber, (our club's sils MD) scoped his Crosman 1701P and joined us. In his premier PFT match, Mike ended up in a 3way tie for 1st place with Rizalde (shooting his Steyer LP1..aka "The Rizzynater") and Jim R. (shooting his FX Ranchero)

The PFT match was quite exciting! We had a few pretty tough targets and one forced postional shot. I left our much dreaded 3/8" quail target up from the rifle match and repositioned a few targets so we had some mored inclined shots with some obstacles to shoot over or around. The wind picked up just a little for us during this event as well. By the end of the match we were pretty tired and still had a 3way tie to settle for the match winner. For the shoot-off I pulled the groundhog target with the 1/2" kz back to 22yds yards and put Riz, Mike and Jim R on the line.

First round... was 3 misses! At this point I was thinking I might need to put out a bigger target.. hee hee! But in the second round.... Jim and Riz both put the target down leaving Mike to claim third place. For R-3 .... we moved the target back another 4 yards and let Riz and Jim go at it again. When Riz missed I thought Jim was going to take it with the next shot but his pellet was denied entry to the KZ and we went on to one more round. Round 4.... Riz shot first, thwap!... cer-clunk, ground hog down! ... I could see the releif on Riz's face when he looked up. It was a pretty tough shot so I suspected that would be the final. But Jim still had his R-4 attempt, he was concentrating pretty hard. He wasn't going to just give this away.... spooot! ... it was close, but it looked like the pellet hit just on the rim and with that familiar faceplate clank we had our 1st place winner and Jim R. earned second fiddle for April.

Nice shooting everyone!

Rizalde M. 15 (1st by shoot off)
Jim R. 15 (2nd by shoot off)
Mike Aber 15 (3rd by shoot off)
Jim C. 14
Eric K. 12
Russ 9
Lonnie 9

Riz and Jim battling for 1st and second

The PFT shoot off target

Russ shooting PFT his Brocock Grand Prix. The both of us shot the PFT match standing off the bipod.

Lonnie Smith
Associate Match Director DFTC
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org/home.html

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"
Last edited by AirSmithCA on April 17th, 2012, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2012, 1:16 am #2

Awesome report bro, thanks. nt

April 17th, 2012, 1:33 am #3

April 15th.... Yuck !!! For obvious reasons I've always disliked that date. But this year, on our great country's special day, I was in my happy place. In Concord, CA with my friends from Diablo Rod and Gun Club shooting Field Target....Yeah buddy!!

In the days leading up to the match however, I was a little concerned that the weather was going to "rain on our parade". Earlier in the week, we had a pretty big front move through the area and we experienced "car alarm tripping" thunder, 276 lightning strikes in one night, some hail, and 3 inches or so of rain for the week. But at Diablo, we are committed to the cause of FT fun regardless of the conditions so my truck was packed for the Sunday morning drive as usual.

It was 8:35am when I arrived, and director John Lindsay was their in faithful form already opening the doors to our target equipment shed and the clubhouse preparing the scene. Thanks to everyones help in the early morning air, we had the course set up smoothly and efficiently. Several of our members must of had faith in the weather forecast (and their taxes done) because the practice line filled in quickly and spilled over into the next bay as about 20 shooters showed up to test their skills against the diabolical course of metal quarry awaiting for them at our club's AP range. During the warm up period a couple of new toys caught my eye and my camera.

Somehow Riz's Steyer changed colors from silver to red. hmmmm.. is it a paint job or did he find another one in the closet? hee hee!

Before we got started with our the pre-match shooters meeting, we had a short awards ceremony to recognize the accomplishments of our 2011 season's award winners. In order to qualify for a "seasonal award" you have to shoot at least 4 matches in the same division. We calculate each shooters "highest percentaged" 4 divisional matches and tally the results. Last year, several of our club's newer shooters improved considerably throughout the season. Not only that, but participation in both the Piston and Hunter divisions has grown in leaps and bounds. Of whom was once the newbie FT-er are now one of the skilled marksmen of the club and the results are in. During the meeting, Match Director-John Lindsay insightfully pointed out, that multiple positions in the various divisions for 2011 were won or lost with one single pellet. It was that close!

A big "THANK YOU" goes to all of our FT shooters for comming out and participating. Its all of you that make our club such an enjoyable experience. Congratulations to each of the award winners for their achievements in 2011!!

PRECHARGED DIVISION:

PISTON DIVISION:
Son Lu 3rd place 2011

HUNTER DIVISION
Jim Cyran 2nd place 2011

On to the match.... During the match the weather warmed up very nicely. It was cloudy at first but I had my sweatshirt off by start time and by the end of the day the California sunshine was beaming. Of course I forgot to pack the sunscreen. ouch..!!

About halfway through the match we had a Turkey that decided to pay us a visit on the range.... (had me wondering how many of you guys remembered it was still turkey season this year). Don't worry, we don't allow any killing of wild life on the range. We declared the range cold as Director Kevin Yee took chase on the critter to "shoo" it away from danger. It was fun to see despite the interuption.

After the match we had a great lunch and some social time! A BIG, BIG thanks to all the members who brought the tasty treats and lunch items. We enjoyed stadium dogs and chili, potato salad, and lots of chips, cookies & drinks to go around. No tummy was left behind as the chili pot and dog steamer were quickly ravished!

Some delicious treats!

Out on the range....

We've welcomed a few new shooters to the group. Most recently, Russ and Simon have joined us. Also, Pat and Chris have just put a few matches under their belts. All seem to be well on their way to knocking down some targets. Nice to have you fellas with us! Keep up the good work. You're doing great!

On top of the standings, John Lindsay nearly cleaned the course only missing one shot and showing us why he is the 2011 PCP champ! "Da Springman"-Kevin Yee was on fire to. He hit every single seated shot on the course. (there were some tough ones out there to)Unfortuneately, the offhand lane was the demise to his perfect score hopes. Regardless, he still shot very well and was the piston division leader for the day. In Hunter, the "battle of the Jims" has continued on. I don't know how the tied score flew under the "Directors" radar but it did so there was no shoot off for the match winner in Hunter. Never-the-less that was some excellent shooting by both of you!

There was some impressive shooting within the standings to. I noticed Mike Aber shot a 40 on his first time shooting Hunter division. If he can keep that up he'll be giving the other HFT shooters some more competition. As you can see below, several others shot strong matches as well!

On the scoreboard:

PRECHARGED:
John L. 47
Rizalde M. 44
Son L. 41
Jim W. 35
Chris 34
Pat R. 28

Piston:
Kevin Y. 44
Paul B. 39
Eric C. 32
Doug B. 31

Hunter
Jim C. 45
Jim R. 45
Mike A. 40
George M. 24
Matt L. 38
Roger. 34
Russ (waiting on score)
Eric K. 31 (piston)
Lonnie S 30 (piston)
Simon L. 10 (piston)

Birdie in the window.

We had 7 pistoleers waiting give it a go. Russ shot Hunter style from a standing postion with me, using his Brocock Grand Prix. Eric K. shot his LD. Jim C came packing his .22 Prod as did myself. Mike Aber, (our club's sils MD) scoped his Crosman 1701P and joined us. In his premier PFT match, Mike ended up in a 3way tie for 1st place with Rizalde (shooting his Steyer LP1..aka "The Rizzynater") and Jim R. (shooting his FX Ranchero)

The PFT match was quite exciting! We had a few pretty tough targets and one forced postional shot. I left our much dreaded 3/8" quail target up from the rifle match and repositioned a few targets so we had some mored inclined shots with some obstacles to shoot over or around. The wind picked up just a little for us during this event as well. By the end of the match we were pretty tired and still had a 3way tie to settle for the match winner. For the shoot-off I pulled the groundhog target with the 1/2" kz back to 22yds yards and put Riz, Mike and Jim R on the line.

First round... was 3 misses! At this point I was thinking I might need to put out a bigger target.. hee hee! But in the second round.... Jim and Riz both put the target down leaving Mike to claim third place. For R-3 .... we moved the target back another 4 yards and let Riz and Jim go at it again. When Riz missed I thought Jim was going to take it with the next shot but his pellet was denied entry to the KZ and we went on to one more round. Round 4.... Riz shot first, thwap!... cer-clunk, ground hog down! ... I could see the releif on Riz's face when he looked up. It was a pretty tough shot so I suspected that would be the final. But Jim still had his R-4 attempt, he was concentrating pretty hard. He wasn't going to just give this away.... spooot! ... it was close, but it looked like the pellet hit just on the rim and with that familiar faceplate clank we had our 1st place winner and Jim R. earned second fiddle for April.

Nice shooting everyone!

Jim C. 14
Eric K. 12
Russ 9
Lonnie 9

The PFT shoot off target

Russ shooting PFT his Brocock Grand Prix. The both of us shot the PFT match standing off the bipod.

Lonnie Smith

great match and report.

April 17th, 2012, 1:49 am #4

PRECHARGED DIVISION:

PISTON DIVISION:
Son Lu 3rd place 2011

HUNTER DIVISION
Jim Cyran 2nd place 2011

Some delicious treats!

Out on the range....

On the scoreboard:

PRECHARGED:
John L. 47
Rizalde M. 44
Son L. 41
Jim W. 35
Chris 34
Pat R. 28

Piston:
Kevin Y. 44
Paul B. 39
Eric C. 32
Doug B. 31

Hunter
Jim C. 45
Jim R. 45
Mike A. 40
George M. 24
Matt L. 38
Roger. 34
Russ (waiting on score)
Eric K. 31 (piston)
Lonnie S 30 (piston)
Simon L. 10 (piston)

Birdie in the window.

Nice shooting everyone!

Jim C. 14
Eric K. 12
Russ 9
Lonnie 9

The PFT shoot off target

Lonnie Smith

what a fun day with perfect weather, great food and a great venue. The evil winds were nowhere to be seen and the scores showed it. Bikerscum missed the weasel target that you could not see the KZ on (really you could not make out the KZ!) Great display of shooting skill. Thanks to everyone for a great day, but especially thanks, to JimR who should have tied Bikerscum at only 1 shot down but must have felt sorry for me and missed 2 shots on the same lane near the end of the match to allow me to tie him.

Jim in Sacramento

April 17th, 2012, 1:52 am #5

PRECHARGED DIVISION:

PISTON DIVISION:
Son Lu 3rd place 2011

HUNTER DIVISION
Jim Cyran 2nd place 2011

Some delicious treats!

Out on the range....

On the scoreboard:

PRECHARGED:
John L. 47
Rizalde M. 44
Son L. 41
Jim W. 35
Chris 34
Pat R. 28

Piston:
Kevin Y. 44
Paul B. 39
Eric C. 32
Doug B. 31

Hunter
Jim C. 45
Jim R. 45
Mike A. 40
George M. 24
Matt L. 38
Roger. 34
Russ (waiting on score)
Eric K. 31 (piston)
Lonnie S 30 (piston)
Simon L. 10 (piston)

Birdie in the window.

Nice shooting everyone!

Jim C. 14
Eric K. 12
Russ 9
Lonnie 9

The PFT shoot off target

Lonnie Smith

That is a nice report Lonnie !!!! Keepgoing

April 17th, 2012, 2:54 am #6

PRECHARGED DIVISION:

PISTON DIVISION:
Son Lu 3rd place 2011

HUNTER DIVISION
Jim Cyran 2nd place 2011

Some delicious treats!

Out on the range....

On the scoreboard:

PRECHARGED:
John L. 47
Rizalde M. 44
Son L. 41
Jim W. 35
Chris 34
Pat R. 28

Piston:
Kevin Y. 44
Paul B. 39
Eric C. 32
Doug B. 31

Hunter
Jim C. 45
Jim R. 45
Mike A. 40
George M. 24
Matt L. 38
Roger. 34
Russ (waiting on score)
Eric K. 31 (piston)
Lonnie S 30 (piston)
Simon L. 10 (piston)

Birdie in the window.

Nice shooting everyone!

Jim C. 14
Eric K. 12
Russ 9
Lonnie 9

The PFT shoot off target

Lonnie Smith

Great report Lonnie, I had a great day of shooting in relaxed mode... I had a blast shooting both courses of fire. The weather,a great bunch of guys and some fabulous shooting together with a great lunch for a very enjoyable day.

Airguns are a gas

Boomer

April 17th, 2012, 4:56 am #7

PRECHARGED DIVISION:

PISTON DIVISION:
Son Lu 3rd place 2011

HUNTER DIVISION
Jim Cyran 2nd place 2011

Some delicious treats!

Out on the range....

On the scoreboard:

PRECHARGED:
John L. 47
Rizalde M. 44
Son L. 41
Jim W. 35
Chris 34
Pat R. 28

Piston:
Kevin Y. 44
Paul B. 39
Eric C. 32
Doug B. 31

Hunter
Jim C. 45
Jim R. 45
Mike A. 40
George M. 24
Matt L. 38
Roger. 34
Russ (waiting on score)
Eric K. 31 (piston)
Lonnie S 30 (piston)
Simon L. 10 (piston)

Birdie in the window.

Nice shooting everyone!

Jim C. 14
Eric K. 12
Russ 9
Lonnie 9

The PFT shoot off target

Lonnie Smith

Good to see you guys back in action with some terrific scores and some nice toys, too. My TM looks just a bit different than Matt's and I am looking forward to putting it through its' paces this coming weekend if I don't have to work.

I can relate to getting the camera anywhere near the food with our crew also. I am lucky to be able to get a few pics before it is gone.

Overall, good job.

Best regards,
Mark

April 17th, 2012, 4:26 pm #8

PRECHARGED DIVISION:

PISTON DIVISION:
Son Lu 3rd place 2011

HUNTER DIVISION
Jim Cyran 2nd place 2011

Some delicious treats!

Out on the range....

On the scoreboard:

PRECHARGED:
John L. 47
Rizalde M. 44
Son L. 41
Jim W. 35
Chris 34
Pat R. 28

Piston:
Kevin Y. 44
Paul B. 39
Eric C. 32
Doug B. 31

Hunter
Jim C. 45
Jim R. 45
Mike A. 40
George M. 24
Matt L. 38
Roger. 34
Russ (waiting on score)
Eric K. 31 (piston)
Lonnie S 30 (piston)
Simon L. 10 (piston)

Birdie in the window.

Nice shooting everyone!

Jim C. 14
Eric K. 12
Russ 9
Lonnie 9

The PFT shoot off target

Lonnie Smith

Great report Lonnie. Thanks to all the guys, especially Kevin, John and Lonnie, for giving us the opportunity to shoot and have some good fun. Jim C, you shot great on Sunday. Jim R.

April 17th, 2012, 5:03 pm #9

what a fun day with perfect weather, great food and a great venue. The evil winds were nowhere to be seen and the scores showed it. Bikerscum missed the weasel target that you could not see the KZ on (really you could not make out the KZ!) Great display of shooting skill. Thanks to everyone for a great day, but especially thanks, to JimR who should have tied Bikerscum at only 1 shot down but must have felt sorry for me and missed 2 shots on the same lane near the end of the match to allow me to tie him.

Jim in Sacramento
That target was tough... Pat and I had a tough time with several invisible KZ's during the day. One of the things we did in an attempt to see them was to rock the target with the reset line to make the paddle flop a little while your partner watched the target. I was lucky to get that one with my 12X scope on the first shot that painted the paddle silver with my 10.3 grain JSB making it easier for my partner to see.

Airguns are a gas

Boomer

April 17th, 2012, 8:50 pm #10

PRECHARGED DIVISION:

PISTON DIVISION:
Son Lu 3rd place 2011

HUNTER DIVISION
Jim Cyran 2nd place 2011

Some delicious treats!

Out on the range....

On the scoreboard:

PRECHARGED:
John L. 47
Rizalde M. 44
Son L. 41
Jim W. 35
Chris 34
Pat R. 28

Piston:
Kevin Y. 44
Paul B. 39
Eric C. 32
Doug B. 31

Hunter
Jim C. 45
Jim R. 45
Mike A. 40
George M. 24
Matt L. 38
Roger. 34
Russ (waiting on score)
Eric K. 31 (piston)
Lonnie S 30 (piston)
Simon L. 10 (piston)

Birdie in the window.

Nice shooting everyone!

Jim C. 14
Eric K. 12
Russ 9
Lonnie 9

The PFT shoot off target

Lonnie Smith

looks like a "bling" shoot with all those shiny thangs....

"Thumper2"