Decided on Another Good Use For My AR2079

January 1st, 2016, 1:49 am #1

I have thought of what kind of major fun I can have, and I have decided.

Although I want the AR 2079A for competition, I want to play.... So I will set it up as a 15 -20 yard insect killer. Where I live I have all kinds of ? that lands everywhere. So I will find a high power scope that can see and hit flies and ? , I may already have the scope :- )

I will stay with .177 as I want to use it for serious competition too, but this will be major fun. Shooting flies and wasps off of rotten meat is way to much fun :- ) ------- hopefully a wad cutter will be accurate enough !

I really need close to under 1/2 " at 20 yds just to be in the game, so I have some work to do when I get the gun. not worrying about a gut shot wasp getting away !

What is great about this is I don't need a hunting license, and season is open all year long ! Not only that but I can use bait. Of course I will have my hunting license just in case :- )

Just throwing this out for you insect killers out there :- )

wll2506

January 1st, 2016, 3:09 am #2

(we've posted on the other page's topic)

Really don't need much power for that job, so with some mods/tuning shot count can become really high.

Have managed less than 1/5th inch at 20yards on calm occasions...but I'll give you that on windy days, will get a whole lot bigger (then again, when it's really windy, the shootable flys seem to be few and far between).

One of the best efforts (and you won't need 12 foot pounds to shoot as well):

January 1st, 2016, 3:29 am #3

Yep, don't need 12 fpe i just need accuracy to about 20 yds ;- )

I'm trying right now how to head mount flies and wasps, and an occasional grasshopper ; - )

wll2506

January 1st, 2016, 4:40 am #4

I didn't check to see if it could still sting...

January 8th, 2016, 2:25 am #5

Hope to find out for myself in the near future ;- )

I'm waiting for a good sunny day to use my chronograph and sight in at the same time as my tanks have been shipped off to be re-certified. ... I could always pump up to 2000 psi also if the mood hits me ... so far the mood has not hit me ;- )

wll2506