Daystate Huntsman Classic verses XL

Daystate Huntsman Classic verses XL

dt3

April 3rd, 2012, 1:06 am #1

I am right on the verge of ordering one or the other and need some help making a final decision. I would be interested in knowing which model you own, what its preferred fill pressure is, shot count and so on. I have done the search thing and have a little info but it would seem most havent had their rifles long enough to thoroughly ring them out. BTW does anyone know the reservoir size on the XL? Daystates web site list the classic as 114cc however I can not find anything on the XL.

Something else I would like to get some input on. I noticed that the FAC models list more shots per fill in .177 than .22 which seem odd to me. For example they list 35 shots at 18 ft lbs in .177 and only 27 shots at 30 ft lbs in .22. Most other PCPs I am familiar with are actually more efficient in .22 than .177. AA S400/500 for example deliver the same number is not slightly more shots at considerably higher energy in .22 than the do in .177.

Darrell

April 3rd, 2012, 1:20 am #2

...the the .177 is putting out 35X18 = 630 total usable foot pounds while the .22 is putting out 27X30 = 810 total usable foot pounds.

Strangle the .22 down to the same energy as the .177 and it should give a longer shot count than the .177.

April 3rd, 2012, 2:33 am #3

I am right on the verge of ordering one or the other and need some help making a final decision. I would be interested in knowing which model you own, what its preferred fill pressure is, shot count and so on. I have done the search thing and have a little info but it would seem most havent had their rifles long enough to thoroughly ring them out. BTW does anyone know the reservoir size on the XL? Daystates web site list the classic as 114cc however I can not find anything on the XL.

Something else I would like to get some input on. I noticed that the FAC models list more shots per fill in .177 than .22 which seem odd to me. For example they list 35 shots at 18 ft lbs in .177 and only 27 shots at 30 ft lbs in .22. Most other PCPs I am familiar with are actually more efficient in .22 than .177. AA S400/500 for example deliver the same number is not slightly more shots at considerably higher energy in .22 than the do in .177.

Darrell
Not sure if that counts as ringing it out or not but I love shooting it.

I get 30 very nice shots or 40 good shots. I have a 230 bar fill for 40 and 200 bar fill for 30 My sweetest spot is 2700 to 2300 there abouts. I can put 30 or 40 shots in a 3/4 inch hole at 40 yards sitting with a front bag rested on my window sill.

The accuracy is top notch IMO so far the most accurate rifle in the stable.

I am getting the 880 with 15.9 jsb which shoot the best out of all the pells I have feed it. I have tried 18.? jsb 14.3 JSb HN FTT 14.3 CPHP these shoot good 21gr barracuda match, 12.? barracuda green these shoot well too polymags shoot ok and they fit in the mag!

So I have no problem hitting a golf ball sized spinner at 80 yards most of the time and a 2" spinner all the time. pellet on pellet at 30 yards.

IMO I would go XL just makes more sense IMO as it was more shots per fill with most every thing else the same. either way you will have a nice shooter if its anything like the one I got.

April 3rd, 2012, 3:23 am #4

Darrell
and have found JSB 15.9s to be the most accurate so far. Getting 40 good shots at 875 fps avg with a 200 bar fill, ending at 120 bar. The air capacity is 168cc. This gun likes any JSB pellet, but also groups CPs excellent. PolyMags are also very accurate. Typical groups today were well within 3/8" at 35 yards even though it was a bit breezy. I actually shot 4 CPs into a 1/4" hole during a still period! Don't ask about the 5th shot! This was all with a 9X scope. I'm sure if I mounted one of my 16 or 20 power scopes the groups would be a bit smaller. These guns are outstanding shooters and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Go for it!

Shoot to Live...Live to Shoot!

April 3rd, 2012, 3:37 am #5

Darrell
I have a .22 classic and just got my .25 XL. With the caliber difference its not really an apples to apples comparison. I can tell you the .25 is a bit more powerful then its factory rating.

Grumpy

April 3rd, 2012, 4:58 am #6

Darrell
About 60 good shots from a 2900 psi fill.

April 3rd, 2012, 11:23 am #7

Darrell
I'm sure he can and will, answer all your questions.

Tell him I suggested you call him. #248-969-0377

Later,
Dwight

April 3rd, 2012, 5:11 pm #8

and have found JSB 15.9s to be the most accurate so far. Getting 40 good shots at 875 fps avg with a 200 bar fill, ending at 120 bar. The air capacity is 168cc. This gun likes any JSB pellet, but also groups CPs excellent. PolyMags are also very accurate. Typical groups today were well within 3/8" at 35 yards even though it was a bit breezy. I actually shot 4 CPs into a 1/4" hole during a still period! Don't ask about the 5th shot! This was all with a 9X scope. I'm sure if I mounted one of my 16 or 20 power scopes the groups would be a bit smaller. These guns are outstanding shooters and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Go for it!

The ldc on the Huntsman. I've always liked shorter rifles and if I'm in a wide open country scenerio I'd like the option of removal for shorter carbine like handling.

John W

April 3rd, 2012, 7:10 pm #9

sense removing them as you only shorten the OAL of the gun by less than 3 inches, and you won't have a shroud cap. Buy it and shoot it. This is one gun that needs nothing but air and pellets!

Last edited by AndyH44 on April 3rd, 2012, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 3rd, 2012, 10:06 pm #10

I'm sure he can and will, answer all your questions.

Tell him I suggested you call him. #248-969-0377

Later,
Dwight
I went to a friends ranch this morning to do pest control i cant say enough about
the XL. You have great shot count super accuracy in a nice package.I hope everybody
enjoys there daystates as much as i have.Here are the first five hay stealers out of
the thirty i got rid of today.I posted this here just to let all the new huntsman owners
that they have bought one of the best guns on the market.just my 2cents