Cure for mrod that did not group well.

Cure for mrod that did not group well.

May 5th, 2013, 5:36 am #1

My Mrod would group sometimes and then be all over the board the next time I picked it up. I decided to make a new solid mount for the shroud while keeping the factory rear mount. I altered the length of the front mount and drilled additional holes in it. It was a nice fit so I just used some Loctite to hold it on the barrel. This mean't I also had to shorten one of the baffles slightly. I removed the rubber O-ring from the barrel band and turned a small aluminum sleeve that fits nicely inside it and is a nice tight fit on the shroud. The shroud is now locked solid and the groups are right on the money, it is now stacking pellets every time I pick it up. No more good groups and bad groups, they are all nice and tight. I think these modifications point to the way the shroud is mounted as the cause of erratic groupings. For little over an hours work i now have a much nicer shooting Mrod that is also quieter than stock,I hope this might help other mrod owners, Neil.

May 5th, 2013, 5:41 am #2

Do share in pictures changes made .... please

May 5th, 2013, 5:55 am #3

Seems straight forward enough to me, just replace the factory mount on the end of the barrel, it has a rubber O-ring on it, make the part out of aluminum for a nice fit inside the shroud to give it a hard mount. Then use a small sleeve on the barrel band so the shroud is hard mounted and not free floating. I have not liked the way the Mrod shroud has been mounted for a long time and had my suspicions that it was playing a large part in the erratic groupings I would get with the gun, with the hard mounted shroud the gun shoots tight groups every time I pick it up, it is now a pleasure to shoot.
I am not sure that posting pictures of the mount would be allowed as it is vented into the shroud, as an LDC maker I have to be careful what pictures I post on the forums, Neil.

May 5th, 2013, 5:59 pm #4

Neil

Would you consider making these parts available for the do-it-yourself guys? Also, is the sleeve for your barrel band sized for the early .177/.22 barrel band or the later .25 sized band? I assume it is the later .25 opening, since I think that is what they are using on everything now...

May 5th, 2013, 6:51 pm #5

Eddie if someone mailed me their barrel band I could make she sleeve to fit it, I assume that the ID of the shrouds is the same for all caliber guns, of course I have been wrong before.If there was enough interest in them I could make the parts for an easy do it yourself fix, Neil.

May 5th, 2013, 7:02 pm #6

Eddie PM me if you would like me to make a kit for you, Neil.

May 5th, 2013, 10:38 pm #7

My Mrod would group sometimes and then be all over the board the next time I picked it up. I decided to make a new solid mount for the shroud while keeping the factory rear mount. I altered the length of the front mount and drilled additional holes in it. It was a nice fit so I just used some Loctite to hold it on the barrel. This mean't I also had to shorten one of the baffles slightly. I removed the rubber O-ring from the barrel band and turned a small aluminum sleeve that fits nicely inside it and is a nice tight fit on the shroud. The shroud is now locked solid and the groups are right on the money, it is now stacking pellets every time I pick it up. No more good groups and bad groups, they are all nice and tight. I think these modifications point to the way the shroud is mounted as the cause of erratic groupings. For little over an hours work i now have a much nicer shooting Mrod that is also quieter than stock,I hope this might help other mrod owners, Neil.
I hope this makes it clear for those who prefer pictures over descriptions, Neil.

May 6th, 2013, 6:05 am #8

i would like 4 of them

thanks
Dick

May 6th, 2013, 10:59 am #9

It is also possible to shim up the o-ring, and perhaps use a harder one. A thin strip of paper, cut to fit at the bottom of the o-ring groove will also tughten up the front shroud support. If one revolution/thickness doesn't do it, cut the strip longer and go around twice... Or run like the springer breech seals and wind some detal floss in there. suggest gore Glidefloss as it is thin trflon tape.
cheers,
Douglas

May 7th, 2013, 12:04 am #10

Paper will compress just like rubber, the idea is to get rid of the movement in the shroud and barrel, by getting rid of the internal O-ring and the external O-ring there is no movement in either the barrel or shroud. This is where I have thought for a long time the problem has been with the Mrods,since doing these modifications the gun has been a tack driver, Neil.