Crosman barrel coating

Crosman barrel coating

June 7th, 2013, 5:10 pm #1

I thought that the Crosman barrels on the 2250b and 2240 were blued. I went to add a muzzle brake to my 2250b and it would not fit. I had to wire brush the barrel and then add a bit of silicone spray to make it slide on. The brake was ordered by size for the 2250b and had the correct as advertised inside diameter of 7/16 inch. looks great but I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem.
ps my 2250b is a older gun.

June 8th, 2013, 1:20 pm #2

Crosman barrels are blued or black oxide coated which shouldn't increase the OD if that's what you're referring to. I have older and newer barrels that both measure 0.435 OD which is 0.002 under 7/16". My guess is the muzzle break was machined undersized or had a burr that caused the interference.

June 8th, 2013, 1:55 pm #3

I think you may be right. my barrel seems to have the black oxide on it we will see with the next one.

June 9th, 2013, 3:40 pm #4

I thought that the Crosman barrels on the 2250b and 2240 were blued. I went to add a muzzle brake to my 2250b and it would not fit. I had to wire brush the barrel and then add a bit of silicone spray to make it slide on. The brake was ordered by size for the 2250b and had the correct as advertised inside diameter of 7/16 inch. looks great but I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem.
ps my 2250b is a older gun.
BUT there's some variation in OD from barrel to barrel.

I'd have taken an adjustable reamer to the brake myself( Harbor Freight sells a useable set for $40, you'll find a use for them all at some point)or slotted a tube and put a rolled strip of fine sandpaper in it to make a hone.

Why? It's tougher to make a small, consistent reduction in OD with hand tools than to remove a little from the ID.

Also, silicon is a lousy metal lube, you probably could have pressed the brake on if you'd lubed with a good grease, or wax, or if you'd heated the brake and chilled the barrel in the freezer.

It may sound like I'm being harsh, but I've been doing this for 35 years, and I've learned a little..I'd like to think I can save a few guys some of the mistakes I've made.
Last edited by classicalgas on June 9th, 2013, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2013, 4:58 pm #5

I guess I just learned something new that i had not thought of. If i should remove this brake I'll also be replacing the barrel also for a longer one but for now it will work. thanks for the memory bank info I will keep that
on my old mental hard drive .

DR