CPH pexpansion at 30yrds.

CPH pexpansion at 30yrds.

July 24th, 2006, 11:56 pm #1

Rifle- Gamo Shadow 1000
Yards- 30
Target- Coke botlle full of water.

I did a test. Not scientific. But just to see if the hollow points
really did expand. They were shot at a distance of 30yrds. The target was
a 20oz. Coke bottle filled with water.I filled the bottles all the way up. With as little air as possible. So there wouldn't be any give in the bottle. I also tried the Gamo mags, but they went in and out, never to be found.

The results.
[/IMG]

Did it holow?
[/IMG]

Two Hollows
[/IMG]

BTW- I have no idea what the drug name on the pad is for, It was Freebie.

July 25th, 2006, 1:04 am #2

....and compare the Premier Hollow point to the Premier Domed (CPL). Same basic pellet, except for the HP part...

July 25th, 2006, 2:18 am #3

Rifle- Gamo Shadow 1000
Yards- 30

a 20oz. Coke bottle filled with water.I filled the bottles all the way up. With as little air as possible. So there wouldn't be any give in the bottle. I also tried the Gamo mags, but they went in and out, never to be found.

The results.
[/IMG]

Did it holow?
[/IMG]

Two Hollows
[/IMG]

I did that with Crosman Premier Hollow Points, before my guns spring broke.

July 25th, 2006, 2:52 am #4

Rifle- Gamo Shadow 1000
Yards- 30

The results.
[/IMG]

Did it holow?
[/IMG]

Two Hollows
[/IMG]

because you are not getting much power out of your shadow. My RWS 320 (B20) puts out a little less than 12fpe, but at almost 30 yds it will punch all the way through a one gallon milk jug full of water.

The second thing is that beeman Crowmagnums are great for expansion. They've got a huge cup on the front. I've used them successfully on small game. They lose lots of power at 40yds and beyond though.

July 25th, 2006, 4:18 am #5

I can use other pellets that will go through it at 40yrds.
But these do not, They make a small dent on the back, but no pass through.

I staid in the first post I tried Gamo Mags, and they went straight through it.
The reason I bought these pellets, was due to over penetration. So I tested them.
And they do not penetrate as deep, but do not open up as I expected them to.
Last edited by TnShooter on July 25th, 2006, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 25th, 2006, 11:37 pm #6

They expand quite a bit.
As I said in my post above, even they went through a 1 gallon milk jug filled w/ water, when shot from a little less than 30yds from my 12fpe rifle. So it seems that your gun which should be around 16-17fpe is not performing up to it's potential.

I've found the crosman pellets to be too small for the bore of both my rifles (gamo CFX and B 20) this may be the case w/ your shadow. The problem w/ too small pellets is that they do not properly seal the barrel, allowing a significant amount of air (read power) blows by the pellet. The alternative, however, is not a pleasant one. Your shadow may somehow be damaged. The best way to find out is to shoot through a chronograph w/ a few different styles of pellets.

July 26th, 2006, 11:30 am #7

Try firing pellets into a soaked telephonebook

I tried different points, domed, and these RWS super-H-point was the only ones to expand

From left: a unfired pellet, pellet speed 580fps, pellet speed 700fps

[/IMG]

July 26th, 2006, 4:27 pm #8

They expand quite a bit.
As I said in my post above, even they went through a 1 gallon milk jug filled w/ water, when shot from a little less than 30yds from my 12fpe rifle. So it seems that your gun which should be around 16-17fpe is not performing up to it's potential.

I've found the crosman pellets to be too small for the bore of both my rifles (gamo CFX and B 20) this may be the case w/ your shadow. The problem w/ too small pellets is that they do not properly seal the barrel, allowing a significant amount of air (read power) blows by the pellet. The alternative, however, is not a pleasant one. Your shadow may somehow be damaged. The best way to find out is to shoot through a chronograph w/ a few different styles of pellets.
I'll have to get it get it to a chrony.
But my guess is that it shoots in the mid 800's

July 26th, 2006, 4:28 pm #9

I tried different points, domed, and these RWS super-H-point was the only ones to expand

[/IMG]
nt

July 26th, 2006, 4:28 pm #10

[/IMG]
nt