CP's Brown Box vs CP's Hollow Pt Screw Tin

CP's Brown Box vs CP's Hollow Pt Screw Tin

February 22nd, 2010, 7:50 pm #1

Getting the brown box CP's (.22 cal) to shoot very well from my Mrod. Bought a tin of hollow points from Gander Mountain and amazed at how inaccurate they are. In a 10 shot magazine I usually get 5 to go into a single hole and the other 5 spray in every direction. The skirts are visually ok. Are the hollow points manufacturally challenged? 2nd question....are the Benjamin Discovery .22 hollow point pellets sold in the brown tin the same as the CP's I am shooting from the silver tin?

February 22nd, 2010, 9:01 pm #2

In my Maruader I have had similar experience with the Brown Boxed CP's, They shoot very well. And any of the Crosman pellets that come in the tin will shoot 5 great and 2 wild...etc. I have shot the pointed and hollow points. As for the Benjamin Discovery Hollow points, I assumed they would have been the same as the Crossman Hollow Points but they really seem to shoot really well. Not perfect like 8 or 9 great and 1 bad. I have not noticed bad shaped pellets, but I may start to weight them. Kind of interesting that they are all 14.3 grains and they all shoot so diferent. Oh well, I know the Brown box CP's shoot great so, The UPS guy just dropped off 4 new boxes today. Also, stangely, the Predator Tipped Pellets shoot nearly as well as the CP's. Of all the 20-30 diferent brands, models, and weights, the order would be 1:Brown Boxed CP's, 2:Beeman FTS's, 3:Predators, 4:H&N Baracudas, and 5:Benjamin Discoveries.

Brett

February 22nd, 2010, 11:37 pm #3

(in the box anyway). They used to use die numbers,and now it's lot numbers? Ron [/IMG] [/IMG]

February 23rd, 2010, 1:05 am #4

In my Maruader I have had similar experience with the Brown Boxed CP's, They shoot very well. And any of the Crosman pellets that come in the tin will shoot 5 great and 2 wild...etc. I have shot the pointed and hollow points. As for the Benjamin Discovery Hollow points, I assumed they would have been the same as the Crossman Hollow Points but they really seem to shoot really well. Not perfect like 8 or 9 great and 1 bad. I have not noticed bad shaped pellets, but I may start to weight them. Kind of interesting that they are all 14.3 grains and they all shoot so diferent. Oh well, I know the Brown box CP's shoot great so, The UPS guy just dropped off 4 new boxes today. Also, stangely, the Predator Tipped Pellets shoot nearly as well as the CP's. Of all the 20-30 diferent brands, models, and weights, the order would be 1:Brown Boxed CP's, 2:Beeman FTS's, 3:Predators, 4:H&N Baracudas, and 5:Benjamin Discoveries.

Brett
Kodiak double gold shoot as good if not better than CP's and FTS. Have you tried them?

February 23rd, 2010, 1:19 am #5

Some fit tight,and some fit loose! Box pellets ALL fit the same.My R9 (tuned) shoots the box pellets into the same hole. The ones (hollow points) in the tin, shoot more like a shotgun pattern. Having said that,all guns aren't the same,so your gun may love them. I'll give them a try in the Mrod when it gets here later this week.( I don't have much hope of them shooting well)But it would be great if it likes them. Ron
Last edited by rks1949 on February 23rd, 2010, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 23rd, 2010, 1:29 am #6

Getting the brown box CP's (.22 cal) to shoot very well from my Mrod. Bought a tin of hollow points from Gander Mountain and amazed at how inaccurate they are. In a 10 shot magazine I usually get 5 to go into a single hole and the other 5 spray in every direction. The skirts are visually ok. Are the hollow points manufacturally challenged? 2nd question....are the Benjamin Discovery .22 hollow point pellets sold in the brown tin the same as the CP's I am shooting from the silver tin?
Here is one take on the brown boxed CPs not often shared.

They come from the same die (or are supposed to), if they are good, then all of the box is good..... but if they are bad, ALL of them are bad and sorting them isnt going to help one bit.

Both are from brown boxed .177 CPHs. The one to the left is from an earlier box, the one on the right (the one with wings and rounded irregular skirt edge) is from my last box (and "last" is more a promise than an adjective).
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Last edited by gubb33ps on February 23rd, 2010, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 23rd, 2010, 3:02 am #7

Kodiak double gold shoot as good if not better than CP's and FTS. Have you tried them?
I have heard Marauders kind of either like Kodiaks or some of the newer vintage seemed to like JSBs. Mine likes Neither! I even bought a few JSB models. i.e Exacts, Exacts RS with no luck. Again, I know all guns are diferent. It just seems like if two guns shoot one particular pellet really well, how can it be that they don't then shoot another as well? I guess like Gun A, and Gun B shoot Kodiaks really well, And Gun A shoots CP's well, how can gun B not shoot CP's as well. I know it happens and I am not questioning anyone. Obviously a multitude of variables are involved, but just doesn't quite compute in my brain. Oh well, I have sampled like 20-30 diferent pellets and know what mine like. For now that is.

February 23rd, 2010, 4:54 am #8

Here is one take on the brown boxed CPs not often shared.

They come from the same die (or are supposed to), if they are good, then all of the box is good..... but if they are bad, ALL of them are bad and sorting them isnt going to help one bit.

Both are from brown boxed .177 CPHs. The one to the left is from an earlier box, the one on the right (the one with wings and rounded irregular skirt edge) is from my last box (and "last" is more a promise than an adjective).
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Do the "lot Numbers" match up from the diffrent boxes? nt

February 23rd, 2010, 4:36 pm #9

Different lots.

But the bad ones were evuidently from one die, as they are uniformly bad. having production from just one die doesn't do a whole lot of good if that die is maladjusted.

February 23rd, 2010, 5:39 pm #10

CPL's and CPH's have allways been my "go to pellet of choice". Ron