CP .177 Heavy quality

CP .177 Heavy quality

October 28th, 2010, 12:46 am #1

Howdy all. I just bought a box of CP heavies in .177. They all have a very visible parting line around the pellet, I also have a tin that I bought about ten years ago that are flawless with no sign of a parting line. Is this new box the norm for today or did I just get a bad box?
Here is a pic, old on left.
Thanks,
Dan

October 28th, 2010, 1:56 am #2

Makes you wonder if the Chinese are making them now. But, how well do they shoot?

I've counted to infinity......twice

October 28th, 2010, 2:47 am #3

Just got them today, haven't tried them yet. I hope they aren't all like this now.
Dan

October 28th, 2010, 2:51 am #4

Howdy all. I just bought a box of CP heavies in .177. They all have a very visible parting line around the pellet, I also have a tin that I bought about ten years ago that are flawless with no sign of a parting line. Is this new box the norm for today or did I just get a bad box?
Thanks,
Dan
From the 'Ammo' chapter.
"I find it quite a bitter irony that the company whose classic guns are so totally awesome, but whose current guns I find hilarious, now produce possibly the finest airgun ammo on the planet! Crosman would do well to do well... meaning quality must remain high if you expect to stay on top."
Not interested in washing cruddy pellets, I've been shooting JSB's almost exclusively for years (since they came available).
Last edited by compressive on October 28th, 2010, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 28th, 2010, 2:54 am #5

Thanks,
Dan
a few in my boxes that look that bad. Maybe 10 per box? I'm not crazy about this die and am waiting for the next.

(+) Paul (+)
USFT #230
Daystate MK 4 iS MCT
FX Whisper .22

October 28th, 2010, 3:17 am #6

From the 'Ammo' chapter.
"I find it quite a bitter irony that the company whose classic guns are so totally awesome, but whose current guns I find hilarious, now produce possibly the finest airgun ammo on the planet! Crosman would do well to do well... meaning quality must remain high if you expect to stay on top."
Not interested in washing cruddy pellets, I've been shooting JSB's almost exclusively for years (since they came available).
I can't get the 10.2 jsb to shoot as well as my old CP heavies unfortunately.
Dan

October 28th, 2010, 3:58 am #7

From the 'Ammo' chapter.
Based just on the quote above it sounds like an entertaining and informative read!

-Casey

October 28th, 2010, 5:05 am #8

From the 'Ammo' chapter.
Fortunately, JSBs of at least one type shoot very well outta my HWs/TX..

Saves me a lot of headaches, too..Shane

October 28th, 2010, 6:18 am #9

Thanks,
Dan
I received a box of CPLs that looked like these..............

After shootin' 'em I found that they were as accurate as the BEST die lot I had bought years before. After the test I immediately called D&R and bought every box they had of the same die stamp and date, and they have been used up long ago. Matter of fact, I split 2 cases of these wierd CPLs with my brother and we used 'em only for huntin' and hunter class FT matches.

October 28th, 2010, 11:04 am #10

Thanks,
Dan
I used to have the same situation with CP's sold in the cardboard boxes....very dirty and sometimes inconsistent. Then I switched to Crosman Premier heavies 10.5gr, Ultra Magnum...the ones sold at 500 per tin, with the screw on cap. I just examined them...none of these have the line. They are also domed pellets and you can't tell them apart side by side from a boxed pellet, except that they don't have the line, are cleaner and a heck of a lot more consistent.

I'm waiting for my new toy...a picky Walther LG300 Dominator. I will run tests of these Premier Ultra's versus JSB's heavy and see which groups better. Dan