Couple of quick discovery questions

Couple of quick discovery questions

August 8th, 2012, 6:27 pm #1

Hey all,

I'm strongly considering a .22 disco with pump. I've got a few questions, just to keep it brief.

Is the discovery with a 6.5" TKO LDC quieter than the average springer? 7.5"? which is suggested?
Are there HDDs for the discovery, how much do they cost, how much air do they save?
Is there any way to tune down a discovery to lower power levels like the marauder? Can this be done with trial and error/number of turns, without a chronograph?

thanks,
Sidd
Last edited by dnullify on August 8th, 2012, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2012, 8:23 pm #2

I had a 6.5 on my .22 Disco, and it was very quiet. Quieter than my springers. It was on par with my Mrods. You can get an HDD for the Disco from AoA for $25ish I think, and it gives you better efficiency/more shots, but I can't give specifics as I was forced to sell my Discos. And, you can easily make your own power adjuster to tune your Disco up or down. There are plenty of posts here or YouTube vids that show you how. I found all the parts at my local Ace Hardware and had my power adjuster made and installed in less than an hour. While you're at it, check out how to do a 3 screw trigger mod. Easy and well worth the time and cents involved. I ended up with very nice triggers on both my Discos. I will go that route again when I get the chance. I love that platform.

Mark Stangl
stanglknives.com
Semper Fi

August 10th, 2012, 7:02 pm #3

I think I'll get the 6.5, just ordered my disco + pump combo.

Does a power adjuster adjust down from stock settings? or does it only adjust up from the stock settings?

If i remove a DIY power adjuster, will the gun return to stock settings? I'd like to be able to tune the gun down on a whim- for paper punching in my yard range. I don't need the full power for the 30 yds i have for safe shooting, i wouldn't mind trading power for shot count.

August 12th, 2012, 3:04 pm #4

Hey all,

I'm strongly considering a .22 disco with pump. I've got a few questions, just to keep it brief.

Is the discovery with a 6.5" TKO LDC quieter than the average springer? 7.5"? which is suggested?
Are there HDDs for the discovery, how much do they cost, how much air do they save?
Is there any way to tune down a discovery to lower power levels like the marauder? Can this be done with trial and error/number of turns, without a chronograph?

thanks,
Sidd
I have the 6.5 inch TKO on my .22 Discovery. The noise level went down from a 4+ to a 2. My .177 Phantom springer is around a 3. I chose the 6.5 inch version so that the Discovery would still fit into a gun case. I have a hard shell case and with the 6.5 inch TKO, it just fite with a inch to spare. I also have a recoil pad on the stock to give me an extra inch there - so without that, a 7.4 inch TKO would just fit the Plano case, come to think of it. I also had to move the TKO by 90 degrees from its first position because it was clipping the pellets. After that, it's just fine. I also sent the Discover to TKO for a tuning - I am very pleased. If you do send it to TKO, also send the tank filler cap and Mike will also modify it to fit with the muzzle brake.
Last edited by JoeDzek on August 12th, 2012, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm #5

Hey all,

thanks,
Sidd
I've fallen into the dark side!

Boy is it loud, and it does pack a punch! SO easy to shoot it's almost unfair, in its entirely stock configuration.
The trigger is pretty heavy, but not in the least bit sloppy. It's pretty crisp, if not stiff - there's no play in the trigger.

I ordered a TKO last week, no shipping confirmation though. It's a bit too loud to shoot extensively right now, i'm hoping that the LDC doesnt take long. Are they made to order?

Also, if i wanted to tune the power down a tad bit, how would i do that without a chrony?

thanks!
Last edited by dnullify on August 14th, 2012, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2012, 3:01 pm #6

I have the 6.5 inch TKO on my .22 Discovery. The noise level went down from a 4+ to a 2. My .177 Phantom springer is around a 3. I chose the 6.5 inch version so that the Discovery would still fit into a gun case. I have a hard shell case and with the 6.5 inch TKO, it just fite with a inch to spare. I also have a recoil pad on the stock to give me an extra inch there - so without that, a 7.4 inch TKO would just fit the Plano case, come to think of it. I also had to move the TKO by 90 degrees from its first position because it was clipping the pellets. After that, it's just fine. I also sent the Discover to TKO for a tuning - I am very pleased. If you do send it to TKO, also send the tank filler cap and Mike will also modify it to fit with the muzzle brake.
Sometimes Mike at TKO is out of town now and then. He is good at replying when he gets in. I had Mike tune my .22 DISCO, Part of the tuning is on the trigger. We left the power as-is with mine. I'm getting 22-23fpe at around 820ish fps with 15g-ish pellets. Very accurate with 14.3g Benjamin hollowpoints - at 33 yards, 10 shot groups, I hit a penny sized bulls eye 8 of 10 times. Someone else will have to respond on how to change the power since I have never done that. Congratulations on the new purchase! Oops - just saw I put this in the wrong spot.
Last edited by JoeDzek on August 16th, 2012, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 21st, 2012, 1:20 pm #7

I've fallen into the dark side!

Boy is it loud, and it does pack a punch! SO easy to shoot it's almost unfair, in its entirely stock configuration.
The trigger is pretty heavy, but not in the least bit sloppy. It's pretty crisp, if not stiff - there's no play in the trigger.

I ordered a TKO last week, no shipping confirmation though. It's a bit too loud to shoot extensively right now, i'm hoping that the LDC doesnt take long. Are they made to order?

Also, if i wanted to tune the power down a tad bit, how would i do that without a chrony?

thanks!
Shoot a pellet at a steel plate and inspect the splat made by the lead pellet. You can kind of guess at the power by the splat made. The PA blog did a write up on that topic quite a while back - look for it in the archives.

My 177 Discovery down to 12 fpe and it is quiet enough even without an LDC. Works great at protecting the back yard veggie garden.