Corrosion in Daystate Regal

Corrosion in Daystate Regal

July 13th, 2017, 2:25 am #1

I've had my Daystate Regal XL in .177 for about 5 months. I've been filling it with a Benjamin hand pump. I fill indoors to reduce the moisture content of the air I'm pumping. The gun recently developed a leak at the junction of the air tube and the fill valve. I sent it in under warranty. I just received the bad news yesterday that moisture and then oxidation had damaged the orings on the front and rear of the air reservoir. The tech told me that is NOT covered under warranty. Cost...$152.17. Ouch! Just a heads up to anyone in the same situation. Time for a tank.

July 13th, 2017, 11:31 am #2

Moisture does NOT corrode rubber o-rings... n/t

July 13th, 2017, 12:19 pm #3

I've had my Daystate Regal XL in .177 for about 5 months. I've been filling it with a Benjamin hand pump. I fill indoors to reduce the moisture content of the air I'm pumping. The gun recently developed a leak at the junction of the air tube and the fill valve. I sent it in under warranty. I just received the bad news yesterday that moisture and then oxidation had damaged the orings on the front and rear of the air reservoir. The tech told me that is NOT covered under warranty. Cost...$152.17. Ouch! Just a heads up to anyone in the same situation. Time for a tank.
I think I'd be asking for pics of that.....doesn't seem right.....n/t

July 13th, 2017, 12:35 pm #4

Pumping indoors does very little to reduce moisture from hand pumps. You have to get the dew point down to about 0 deg F to be really effective. The moisture can easily corrode any aluminum parts in the tube (valves, gauge blocks, etc.), and that granular corrosion oxide can cut/scratch the o-rings. The lack of effective moisture filters for hand pumps is a real problem. The little harbor freight desiccant filters do almost nothing (the air isn't in the filter long enough to get the moisture out).

July 13th, 2017, 2:25 pm #5

In this case aluminum cuts steel easily. nt

July 13th, 2017, 9:15 pm #6

So, has anyone had moisture/corrosion problems with these pumps? I have several buddies that have been using these pumps for less than a year with no ill effects. Are the small on board moisture traps really effective?

July 14th, 2017, 12:39 am #7

Just recently. I rebuilt a leaking Marauder for a friend who used a hand pump. The inside was all white with corrosion and the end caps were both corroded and the orings hard as a rock. I was able to salvage it but don't know how long before it develops another leak. I told him he needs to buy a tank or install some sort of filter on his hand pump.

July 14th, 2017, 1:22 am #8

..the only rust I've founf in an air tube must have been "factoy rust" as it was in there when I opened a new PCP out the box.

Now just think...if I had not opened it up right away, WHATEVER I filled it with would have gotten the blame....pump, air tank, or n2 tank. Human nature, we all pretty much EXPECT a brnad new PCP to be internally rust free.

They aren't.

July 14th, 2017, 5:57 pm #9

I ponied up the $170, and bought a Hill MK3 with moisture trap. Again, i'm not sure whether what they said was correct or not, i didn't tear down the gun myself to see what they did/did not do. It doesn't make sense to me though, you should be able to fill these PCPs with handpumps.

low and behold It started leaking again. I ended up trading it for a FX streamline.
Last edited by dnullify on July 14th, 2017, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 14th, 2017, 9:12 pm #10

"It doesn't make sense to me though, you should be able to fill these PCPs with handpumps."

You can fill it with chicken soup if you want to but if you want the gun to perform as designed you should fill it with "dry" air. It is not the guns at fault when you fill it with water.
Last edited by TerryVanpool on July 14th, 2017, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.