Conserve water: Pee in the sink.

Conserve water: Pee in the sink.

June 21st, 2012, 5:32 pm #1

My kids and I recently watched "Firefly". In one scene the captain is in his cabin. We cut in as he zips his fly.

Pan out and we see him kick a fold out urinal back up...under the sink. He then washes his hands in the sink...thus flushing the urinal.

Think about that. A sink trap holds what...1.5 cups of liquid? I just happen to know that my bladder will hold just over 1 litre of fluid...don't ask...I just know.

Regardless of how much fluid I put in the sink, the trap only holds 1.5 cups. The rest goes down the drain.

Now...if I wash my hands I use about 3 cups of water. That means all the pee in the trap (IF I were to "hypothetically" pee in the sink) was washed out and the trap contains nothing but water.

So. 3 cups of water to flush pee down the sink versus 1.6gals of water to flush my low vol toilet.

At our camp, we have all agreed to only flush the toilet if it holds poo. That means a lot of pee sitting before we use about 5 gallons of water to flush it down to the leach field. Still not as efficient as peeing in the sink....hypothetically.

June 21st, 2012, 7:49 pm #2

My buddy jimmys shop only has a sink in the washroom.needless to say no one walks around the building to the real bathroom.unless its number 2 lol.

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

June 21st, 2012, 8:46 pm #3

My kids and I recently watched "Firefly". In one scene the captain is in his cabin. We cut in as he zips his fly.

Pan out and we see him kick a fold out urinal back up...under the sink. He then washes his hands in the sink...thus flushing the urinal.

Think about that. A sink trap holds what...1.5 cups of liquid? I just happen to know that my bladder will hold just over 1 litre of fluid...don't ask...I just know.

Regardless of how much fluid I put in the sink, the trap only holds 1.5 cups. The rest goes down the drain.

Now...if I wash my hands I use about 3 cups of water. That means all the pee in the trap (IF I were to "hypothetically" pee in the sink) was washed out and the trap contains nothing but water.

So. 3 cups of water to flush pee down the sink versus 1.6gals of water to flush my low vol toilet.

At our camp, we have all agreed to only flush the toilet if it holds poo. That means a lot of pee sitting before we use about 5 gallons of water to flush it down to the leach field. Still not as efficient as peeing in the sink....hypothetically.
6 kids and 2 adults (10 kids and 4 adult when the cousins showed up). The men and boys peed in the woods, behind the boathouse or in the lake. The women and girls got to use the toilet or lake.
I don't get the part about "conserving" water. If you have a well and septic system, you're just recycling water. Nothing wasted.
I was talking to a friend who's a groundskeeper at the public golf course and he commented that they used 350,000 gallons last night. I said I hope they weren't using processed city water with chlorine and anti- cavity stuff added. He said they were. I asked why they didn't dig a few wells but he said that would make too much sense.

June 21st, 2012, 10:16 pm #4

Just a funnel and a hose that runs to the rock bed above a french drain outside. The boy drinks way too much beer...

June 21st, 2012, 10:25 pm #5

Standard flush toilets have been 1.6 gal for years and newer ones are under 1.2 gal.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

June 21st, 2012, 10:30 pm #6

Just a funnel and a hose that runs to the rock bed above a french drain outside. The boy drinks way too much beer...
 a trip,my toilet started to leak so I fixed it,problem I forgot how fragile porcelain is,right ..overtaken the nut and broke the it,happened about 30 minutes ago,taking a break,poop,well not until I get a new one,darnnnnnnnnnnn.
Last edited by boscoebrea on June 21st, 2012, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2012, 11:04 pm #7

I have a buddy who has a bathroom w/ only a toilet, no sink. He has this gadget that fits on top the basin and doubles as a sink. The waste water from washing your hands is used on the next flush.

June 21st, 2012, 11:32 pm #8

When I shower I put a bucket next to me, that catches a good ammount of whater that falls, I use then that water from the bucket to flush the toilet.

Sick 'em Hoff!!!

June 22nd, 2012, 3:30 am #9

Zero water used...

June 22nd, 2012, 4:55 am #10

Dead patch of grass dead. Lol. My 4 n 5 year old boys do so also. Lol. Really irritates my wife