compressor for shoebox

compressor for shoebox

June 16th, 2017, 3:57 am #1

As my large compressor is quickly dying.... I need to come up with a smaller unit to run up stream of my shoe box. I was looking at the Harbor Freight models and was wondering if anyone has used these with any success?

3 gal. 1/3 HP 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor

Central Pneumatic® - Item#61615 Only: $54.99

Regards
Ray

June 16th, 2017, 5:37 am #2

If noise matters,think about California air tools compressors.Much quieter than most and mine has an aluminum tank,no rust.

June 16th, 2017, 4:37 pm #3

As my large compressor is quickly dying.... I need to come up with a smaller unit to run up stream of my shoe box. I was looking at the Harbor Freight models and was wondering if anyone has used these with any success?

Regards
Ray
That seems to be the recommended compressor from Shoebox. Best bang for the buck, and the unit we also recommend when people purchase a Shoebox from us.

June 16th, 2017, 4:49 pm #4

Regards
Ray
A buddy bought one of these to finish building a deck. Two of these pieces of junk died in the same afternoon; bought one and it lasted about 2hrs. Second one lasted about 45min. HF was easy to deal with as far as the refund(s) was concerned. Steer clear of these things.

June 16th, 2017, 6:59 pm #5

Regards
Ray
Works good. Isnt the quietest but it doesnt constantly run either.
I use it for shoebox and my air ratchet

June 16th, 2017, 10:34 pm #6

Regards
Ray
Thank you all for the responses!

Stu..
I had not thought much about the noise but a quiet compressor would be nice..and the aluminum tank is a bonus.

And Joe B. giving the second to them makes the decision easy.

I have bought a few items from HF..... kinda hit or miss quality wise. But for the price that is where I was heading. My son and I do buy quite a bit from them.

In the end I will order the California Compressor. Quiet is why I originally got into airguns.. then the savings on the price of ammo compared to PB's. Not saving anything overall now because of too many airguns!! But I just keep slinging more money at this air gun stuff LOL

Thank you all for the help!!! I really appreciate it!!

Regards
Ray

June 17th, 2017, 6:08 am #7

piston o-ring, when run continuously for very long at all. At least that's been my experience. Usually the nylon-looking piston ring survives, but the silicone looking o-ring under it deforms and then the compressor fails to build pressure. As someone mentioned here, this can happen in one afternoon of heavy, but not even close to fully continuous, on the job use. The cheap HF pancake compressor only holds up for very intermittent use. Sometimes they put them on sale for $40 so you can't expect much from them. HF sells no replacement parts; they are destined for the landfill instead!

On the other hand, I was able to resurrect my dead HF pancake compressor by stretching two very tight mil-spec Viton o-rings into the piston groove under the nylon ring. It now seems to handle longer run periods, but I don't think I'd ever trust it to feed a Shoebox.
Last edited by calinb on June 17th, 2017, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2017, 10:26 am #8

Regards
Ray
I can't handle the irritating din of those pancake compressors, my old Quincy cast iron just keeps trucking cachunk,cachunk,cachunk, will probably outlast me. Quality matters with air guns and machinery.

June 17th, 2017, 12:05 pm #9

Regards
Ray
Oil Lubed compressors are so much quieter it's not funny. I gave away my oilless 24 gallon compressor because I just couldn't stand the noise. My 60 gallon Home Depot special takes oil and sits on the garage floor with 2" rubber blocks under the feet. I added 18" of coiled 1.5" rubber hose to the intake nozzle, and it runs quieter than the dishwasher in my kitchen. Quiet is nice.

For portability and quiet, I have a 8 gallon oiled compressor from Home Depot. That's what I'd recommend for the Shoebox.

June 17th, 2017, 12:21 pm #10

Regards
Ray
hundred buck compressor, proven in the field, noisy. builders would run these things flat out all day to supply nail guns. most pancake compressors will burn out on you. these wound up lasting and are some of the gems that can be had from china. it ain't all junk.