Comparing a couple of rifles lately

Comparing a couple of rifles lately

October 8th, 2010, 6:29 pm #1

I've been shooting my USFT now for almost two years in competition. When I was setting it up I shot some groups testing different pellets to see what shot best in it. Once I narrowed it down to the right pellet, then I started working with sorting out the pellets for best fit and so on. I settled on Crosman Premier 10.5 grain pellets in the USFT as being the best overall from an accuracy standpoint.

Here's a 50 yard, 10 shot group that I shot with my USFT when I was testing pellets.

Recently I sent my Steyr LG100 off to Allen Zasadny to get him to set it up for WFTF below 12 fpe. He reset the regulator pressure, changed out the hammer spring and changed out the barrel to a shorter Anschutz barrel. After receiving it back from Allen, I decided to go through basically the same tests with it that I did with my USFT. Just as a bench mark, I hoped for similar accuracy from the Steyr that I get out of my USFT.

I tried JSB 8.4 grain pellets and they shot pretty dang good, but I did a good bit of shooting in the wind with them and found that I just couldn't predict the hold off as well as I should. So, I tried JSB Express and bingo! They seemed to really be predictable in the wind and shot tighter groups to boot. So, I've shot a number of groups and they seem very consistent. I didn't take time until yesterday to really save any of the groups. So, I shot a couple of 5 shot groups at 50 yards off my knee just like I would in a match. No harness, no bench, just the rifle and a standard canvas shooting jacket. It was a little windy, which I think adds some credibility to the pellets wind capability. So, below is a pic of a group using the pellet hole to the right as the aim point. Needless to say, I'm pleased with the performance of the Steyr so far.

Here's a 50 yard, 5 shot group that I shot yesterday with my 12 fpe Steyr.

Here's a picture of the rifle

Now, I guess time will tell how I perform shooting the Steyr. I certainly have no excuses with the rifle performing as it is now. I'm looking forward to shooting a few matches with it to see how consistent it performs in the field.

Take care,

Harold

Last edited by Thepointman on October 8th, 2010, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold Rushton

October 8th, 2010, 6:56 pm #2

as more folks discover them i think they will be used more.

-bp

October 8th, 2010, 7:19 pm #3

and i'd shoot rabbit pellets (as in "smart pills") if they were the best performers, but alas, my QB will only shoot JSB exacts (light or heavy, doesn't care) but my B-26 likes CPLs just a little bit better than the JSBs.

haven't tried the CPLs in the B-40 yet, but so far it also likes the JSBs best of all.

i've been through all the samplers and almost every other kind i can get a tin of.

-bp

October 8th, 2010, 7:27 pm #4

I've been shooting my USFT now for almost two years in competition. When I was setting it up I shot some groups testing different pellets to see what shot best in it. Once I narrowed it down to the right pellet, then I started working with sorting out the pellets for best fit and so on. I settled on Crosman Premier 10.5 grain pellets in the USFT as being the best overall from an accuracy standpoint.

Here's a 50 yard, 10 shot group that I shot with my USFT when I was testing pellets.

Recently I sent my Steyr LG100 off to Allen Zasadny to get him to set it up for WFTF below 12 fpe. He reset the regulator pressure, changed out the hammer spring and changed out the barrel to a shorter Anschutz barrel. After receiving it back from Allen, I decided to go through basically the same tests with it that I did with my USFT. Just as a bench mark, I hoped for similar accuracy from the Steyr that I get out of my USFT.

I tried JSB 8.4 grain pellets and they shot pretty dang good, but I did a good bit of shooting in the wind with them and found that I just couldn't predict the hold off as well as I should. So, I tried JSB Express and bingo! They seemed to really be predictable in the wind and shot tighter groups to boot. So, I've shot a number of groups and they seem very consistent. I didn't take time until yesterday to really save any of the groups. So, I shot a couple of 5 shot groups at 50 yards off my knee just like I would in a match. No harness, no bench, just the rifle and a standard canvas shooting jacket. It was a little windy, which I think adds some credibility to the pellets wind capability. So, below is a pic of a group using the pellet hole to the right as the aim point. Needless to say, I'm pleased with the performance of the Steyr so far.

Now, I guess time will tell how I perform shooting the Steyr. I certainly have no excuses with the rifle performing as it is now. I'm looking forward to shooting a few matches with it to see how consistent it performs in the field.

Take care,

Harold
at 50 yards, in perfect conditions, the Express can hold tighter groups than 8.4gr Exacts with me shooting but when the wind picks up at all, I can't hold it together with the Express, the 8.4gr seem to work better for me.

Maybe I was testing a bad tin and need to revisit it. Good post and good luck at the nationals!

Regards,

Tony

October 8th, 2010, 7:50 pm #5

and i'd shoot rabbit pellets (as in "smart pills") if they were the best performers, but alas, my QB will only shoot JSB exacts (light or heavy, doesn't care) but my B-26 likes CPLs just a little bit better than the JSBs.

haven't tried the CPLs in the B-40 yet, but so far it also likes the JSBs best of all.

i've been through all the samplers and almost every other kind i can get a tin of.

-bp
but i think a lot of folks have dismissed expresses out of hand. in my tx they perform the best. in someone elses tx they may not. there seems to be an asumption that they won't handle wind well but Harolds's experience does not bare that out.

October 8th, 2010, 8:03 pm #6

As do many of the top shooters at the GOB in their TXs..

I was discussing ammo with Roz Sumpter one fine morning as he and Cliff were working on my FT gun and Roz made the statement that Expresses don't need to be weight-sorted for competition. Cliff had asked him about their consistency and he said he shot them straight-outta-the-tin because his weighing experiments showed little deviation.

While I certainly have not the credibility of Roz, Cliff or Harold, I can say that they are the best performing light pellet in all my HWs and my TX200HC..TV

October 8th, 2010, 8:04 pm #7

Take care,

Harold
...your groups that is. Really impressive! I'm still trying to figure out the most accurate pellet with the Ripley at 55 yds. I've ordered 4.51 and 4.52 AA 8.4 to compare. The JSB 8.4 and 7.9 are very similar but just aren't quite up to my expectations at 55 yds. I may try 4.53 jsb 8.4 if I can get my hands on some.

I've counted to infinity......twice

October 8th, 2010, 8:10 pm #8

at 50 yards, in perfect conditions, the Express can hold tighter groups than 8.4gr Exacts with me shooting but when the wind picks up at all, I can't hold it together with the Express, the 8.4gr seem to work better for me.

Maybe I was testing a bad tin and need to revisit it. Good post and good luck at the nationals!

Regards,

Tony
That's the reason that I was testing each of these pellets in windy conditions. We initially thought the 8.4's might be the best choice in this gun. However, my groups were much tighter in the wind with the Express. Now, that very well could be that this barrel favors the Express a little. Also, I've been shooting Express pellets in my EV2 for at least 3 years. So, I kind of know what to expect with wind doping them. Either way, they look promising in the Steyr.

Take care,

Harold
Harold Rushton

October 8th, 2010, 8:16 pm #9

...your groups that is. Really impressive! I'm still trying to figure out the most accurate pellet with the Ripley at 55 yds. I've ordered 4.51 and 4.52 AA 8.4 to compare. The JSB 8.4 and 7.9 are very similar but just aren't quite up to my expectations at 55 yds. I may try 4.53 jsb 8.4 if I can get my hands on some.

I've counted to infinity......twice
David,

These are 4.52 Express. I haven't tried 4.51 or 4.53's. You never know til you test them what they are going to do. You've still been shooting that Ripley real good at our matches lately!

Harold
Harold Rushton

October 8th, 2010, 8:28 pm #10

That's the reason that I was testing each of these pellets in windy conditions. We initially thought the 8.4's might be the best choice in this gun. However, my groups were much tighter in the wind with the Express. Now, that very well could be that this barrel favors the Express a little. Also, I've been shooting Express pellets in my EV2 for at least 3 years. So, I kind of know what to expect with wind doping them. Either way, they look promising in the Steyr.

Take care,

Harold
Holds better in the wind with less time of flight. Any idea of the die number and year of production of those Express?

Regards,

Tony