Cleaning your shooting jacket

Cleaning your shooting jacket

July 5th, 2017, 5:54 am #1

What method do you use to clean your leather shooting jacket? Do you just send it to the cleaners or do you have your own way?

July 5th, 2017, 3:39 pm #2

"The only way to clean your coat is with a mild detergent (Woolite) and water. Spray the coat down lightly and scrub it inside and out. Rinse it off lightly and allow to air dry. Do not Dry Clean! (Do not) Soak in water! Or try any other method of cleaning! You will only damage the coat and have to buy a new one."

July 5th, 2017, 5:53 pm #3

Thanks for the good information, Leo. Since my new shooting jacket is wool with leather sleeves, the Woolite cleaning/maintenance information makes perfect sense and goes double for me.

Found it on Ebay for $49.99, and don't want to risk such a heavy investment in high-tech shooting gear to improper cleaning and mainrtenance.

Last edited by compressive on July 6th, 2017, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 5th, 2017, 8:42 pm #4

after last year's Southern Open. After the sweat fest in Heflin, it needed it.

I pulled my hardback coat's sleeves inside out, which took two men and a boy to do.

Then I used Orpine cleaner gel and brushed it inside with a stiff hard brush. Then I rinsed it off with a hose on the lightest flow. I dried it and put the sleeves back.

I spoke to Creedmore after that and the you woman had a heart attack when I told her. Fortunately, nothing happened to my coat. After $500 I was relieved.

Now I usually put it on the Creedmore coat hanger and put the one sleeve over the AC vent. It flows the air up the sleeve and circulates it through the coat. I do this after every practice or when I get home from a match. Lengthens the time between washing with the woolite..

July 6th, 2017, 2:13 am #5

What method do you use to clean your leather shooting jacket? Do you just send it to the cleaners or do you have your own way?
I hang mine in the garage for a week or two to bake out the funky bacteria and other microbes that make the stank when it gets bad. Mine is a Creedmore heavy leather shooting jacket. The damn thing weighs near what my gun does, maybe more.

July 6th, 2017, 10:42 am #6

get your coat to 180° F

On a good note, you can try putting 20 Little Tree air fresheners in the coat for a refreshing odor! I reccomend pineapple for a tropical feel...... Hahaha!

July 6th, 2017, 11:45 am #7

I put a box of backing soda in a bathtub full of hot water & soaked the coat for several hours. Followed by a soaking in plain water. IT took several days to dry on the back deck in the sun.

It's not advised, but I can wear it without passing out now.

K

July 6th, 2017, 1:34 pm #8

Keith, but the side benefit is you can put it in he refrigerator and keep food fresh!

July 6th, 2017, 7:30 pm #9

I hang mine in the garage for a week or two to bake out the funky bacteria and other microbes that make the stank when it gets bad. Mine is a Creedmore heavy leather shooting jacket. The damn thing weighs near what my gun does, maybe more.
Has anyone used Febreeze to remove the odor? -nt

July 6th, 2017, 11:41 pm #10

get your coat to 180° F

On a good note, you can try putting 20 Little Tree air fresheners in the coat for a refreshing odor! I reccomend pineapple for a tropical feel...... Hahaha!
With nothing to eat they can't live, maybe? Plus it gets well over 120* in the space above the rafters. Burn them little stanky terds right out. I use it for my work boots from time to time as well. I dunno, maybe it's different further south.