CFX-SCI pellet info

CFX-SCI pellet info

August 25th, 2006, 5:52 pm #1

I received my rifle 3 days ago, cleaned the bore and checked it all out. Mounted the scope by using a fitted pin in the stop hole, and installed Charlie's trigger. Got it sighted in yesterday and then this morning decided to see how it shot.
My Rest was lousy but the best I could do at this time. I rested my left elbow on a fence gate and set up the target at 25 yards. I suspected the bore of this rifle is tighter than my other CFX and now I really think it is. I shot 3/4" groups with the Crossman Premier 10.4gr domed pellets that measured .180 skirts...with no flyers like I got with the first CFX and this same box of ammo.
Ken had warned me not to use these premiers because the bore was oversized...and he was right! I could not get decent groups with that rifle and a lot better sandbag rest. Of course the factory trigger had a lot to do with it. Charlie's trigger allowed my control to be much more precise.
I have 2 more items enroute for this rifle. The one-piece ring setup and a muzzle brake from Rich in MI. When they arrive, I'll install them and at that time measure the bore size. And then I'll rig up a good rest and do some serious pellet testing. I'm really impressed with the accuracy potential of this SCI and am anxious to see what it'll do with good pellets and a decent Rest.
Last edited by robot2 on August 25th, 2006, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 25th, 2006, 6:11 pm #2

with the standard CFX? I think you should try the Gamo Hunters then, but also get some Beeman FTS.

August 25th, 2006, 6:41 pm #3

Yep, it sure looks like it. I was really disappointed with the groups out of the other CFX and the Premier domes, and that was by using a pretty good sandbaged rest. This one was producing good groups when it shouldn't have.
I do have some FTS pellets, and several others that I'll be trying soon.
BTW, I did try some of those 5gr what...PBS I think...with the chrono. They did a tad over 1000. No where near the 1200 claimed in their advertising. The Premiers were doing about 775 before I had put more than 5 pellets through the rifle. I've run about 200 through it now and will use the chrono again in a couple of weeks.
Oh, the problem of a misaligned loading block/chamber is fixed. A little epoxy on the lever is all it took.
Last edited by robot2 on August 25th, 2006, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 25th, 2006, 11:27 pm #4

I received my rifle 3 days ago, cleaned the bore and checked it all out. Mounted the scope by using a fitted pin in the stop hole, and installed Charlie's trigger. Got it sighted in yesterday and then this morning decided to see how it shot.
My Rest was lousy but the best I could do at this time. I rested my left elbow on a fence gate and set up the target at 25 yards. I suspected the bore of this rifle is tighter than my other CFX and now I really think it is. I shot 3/4" groups with the Crossman Premier 10.4gr domed pellets that measured .180 skirts...with no flyers like I got with the first CFX and this same box of ammo.
Ken had warned me not to use these premiers because the bore was oversized...and he was right! I could not get decent groups with that rifle and a lot better sandbag rest. Of course the factory trigger had a lot to do with it. Charlie's trigger allowed my control to be much more precise.
I have 2 more items enroute for this rifle. The one-piece ring setup and a muzzle brake from Rich in MI. When they arrive, I'll install them and at that time measure the bore size. And then I'll rig up a good rest and do some serious pellet testing. I'm really impressed with the accuracy potential of this SCI and am anxious to see what it'll do with good pellets and a decent Rest.
the important dimension is the diameter of the head.

Jeff

August 26th, 2006, 12:13 am #5

Thanks a lot Jeff. I thought the skirt would be the primary load-bearer in the bore but I certainly agree that it has to be the body. I came to my original opinion after measuring a lot of pellets and finding that the body was considerably smaller than the skirt. Often even smaller than bore size...in which case that pellet would be useless for accuracy. I see I have some more measuring to do.

August 26th, 2006, 2:00 am #6

Now I am confused. I just finished measuring 10 each of 5 different tins of .177 pellets. Slugged the bore in this CFX also, and it's .177 exactly.
Here's the results:
Crossman Premier Domes: .176 body, .180 skirt
H&N Match Diabolo: .1745 body, .180 skirt
RWS Match Meisterkugeln: .1745 body, .185 skirt
RWS Superpoint Extra: .176.5 body, .185 skirt
Beeman FTS: .176 body, .1785 skirt
Couldn't believe my numbers so I checked them again with another digital caliper...same numbers. Then checked with a Starrett micrometer...same numbers.
My question: How can these pellets shoot so well when only the skirt fills the bore? I must be missing something here and would appreciate some guidance.

August 26th, 2006, 2:44 am #7

Superdomes, FTS and Kodiaks fit best.

August 26th, 2006, 2:57 am #8

Now I am confused. I just finished measuring 10 each of 5 different tins of .177 pellets. Slugged the bore in this CFX also, and it's .177 exactly.
Here's the results:
Crossman Premier Domes: .176 body, .180 skirt
H&N Match Diabolo: .1745 body, .180 skirt
RWS Match Meisterkugeln: .1745 body, .185 skirt
RWS Superpoint Extra: .176.5 body, .185 skirt
Beeman FTS: .176 body, .1785 skirt
Couldn't believe my numbers so I checked them again with another digital caliper...same numbers. Then checked with a Starrett micrometer...same numbers.
My question: How can these pellets shoot so well when only the skirt fills the bore? I must be missing something here and would appreciate some guidance.
here's a link to straightshooters, they have ALL the specs for pellets

http://www.straightshooters.com/documen ... n.html#177

August 26th, 2006, 3:15 am #9

Thanks Rich. I went to that site and found that their numbers didn't always jibe with mine.
Close, but this isn't horse shoes. I think I'll probably stick with the FTS.

August 26th, 2006, 4:24 am #10

I know that's all I feed my CFX's, I have both a .22 and a.177 CFX. They both do real well on a diet of FTS's