CFX Royal tuning

CFX Royal tuning

December 23rd, 2006, 2:45 am #1

Received my GTR III trigger in the mail today. Since I had the action out of the stock to install the trigger I decided to pull the spring and find out why the gun had so much spring vibration. The front guide had alot of play inside the spring, but the rear guide wasn't too bad. Following advice on the forums I installed shrink tubing on both guides. I put it all back together w/the new trigger installed and what a difference. The spring twang is completely eliminated and the new trigger is very light and predictable. Everyone with a Gamo rifle should made these simple modifications. I have several German and British springers and this rifle now shoots and feels just as good. Total cost for the trigger and materials was about $35. I still plan on getting a complete tune kit w/Macarri spring from Rich in the near future, but as is this gun shoots just as nice as my R9. I really hope some of you guys will try this. It's easy to do and makes a big difference in performance.

December 24th, 2006, 5:28 am #2

they wouldn't hesitate to follow your lead. Enjoy, I agree with you 100%. Did you re-assemble with proper lubes? It makes

December 24th, 2006, 6:13 am #3

I just cleaned the spring up and added a light coat of spring tar. I did lube the trigger per instructions. I must admit I've never thought much of the Gamo products. I guess I can understand the heavy trigger from a liability issue, but the spring vibration(shot cycle) makes no sense. They must have product testers out there that are shooting the other brands of guns and know how poorly their's compare. It would not add any cost to make the guides the proper size for the springs. I think they really could be a superior bargain at their current prices if they would correct these issues. At least the Gamo products are easy to work on and the after market parts to make them shoot well are available. I've always wanted a Stutzen and now that I've figured out that the Gamo guns can shoot well I'm going to start looking for one.

December 24th, 2006, 7:20 pm #4

Just buy a new stock form gamo and put it on a CFX, they sell the just stocks.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

December 25th, 2006, 1:58 am #5

A Stutzen stock won't fit on a CFX, they are quite different from each other.

Jeff

December 25th, 2006, 8:03 am #6

I just cleaned the spring up and added a light coat of spring tar. I did lube the trigger per instructions. I must admit I've never thought much of the Gamo products. I guess I can understand the heavy trigger from a liability issue, but the spring vibration(shot cycle) makes no sense. They must have product testers out there that are shooting the other brands of guns and know how poorly their's compare. It would not add any cost to make the guides the proper size for the springs. I think they really could be a superior bargain at their current prices if they would correct these issues. At least the Gamo products are easy to work on and the after market parts to make them shoot well are available. I've always wanted a Stutzen and now that I've figured out that the Gamo guns can shoot well I'm going to start looking for one.
moly on the piston and sear is the other. The outside of the piston should be lubricated, I think it is well established that a good moly paste is best. i like to polish the spring ends to avoid gouging like this:
Last edited by bigbore on December 25th, 2006, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 25th, 2006, 5:27 pm #7

A Stutzen stock won't fit on a CFX, they are quite different from each other.

Jeff
England. Even with the diff. in Shipping, its not much more than the US prices and you would have a .22 cal. I have bought from these guys and their service is great:
http://www.outdoorsman.co.uk/index.html ... =d191.html

December 26th, 2006, 7:03 pm #8

Received my GTR III trigger in the mail today. Since I had the action out of the stock to install the trigger I decided to pull the spring and find out why the gun had so much spring vibration. The front guide had alot of play inside the spring, but the rear guide wasn't too bad. Following advice on the forums I installed shrink tubing on both guides. I put it all back together w/the new trigger installed and what a difference. The spring twang is completely eliminated and the new trigger is very light and predictable. Everyone with a Gamo rifle should made these simple modifications. I have several German and British springers and this rifle now shoots and feels just as good. Total cost for the trigger and materials was about $35. I still plan on getting a complete tune kit w/Macarri spring from Rich in the near future, but as is this gun shoots just as nice as my R9. I really hope some of you guys will try this. It's easy to do and makes a big difference in performance.
Any one knows where to get the CFX Tune-up Guide?
Also, the Trigger Modification for the CFX, I saw a couple on the internet, which is the best one that you folks have good experience with?

What spring replacement is best for CFX?
Does JM provide one?

Thanks in advance for the info!

December 26th, 2006, 10:19 pm #9

Chris thoroughly documented his CF-X tune about 6 months ago. "Rich in Mich" has documented with great cut-away pictures the trigger insert mod, that's the only tune other than removining burrs and putting moly on the sear that I'm aware of.

December 26th, 2006, 10:27 pm #10

Which one do you prefer?

Thanks!