CFX questions and recommendations

CFX questions and recommendations

July 7th, 2006, 1:02 am #1

I'm new to airgunning and want to plink and shoot some starlings. I got to try out a Shadow 1000 today and really liked it other than I now know what "dieseling" is I think. I wasn't sure if I should make the investment in a nice airgun but now I'm somewhat hooked. I loved the feel of the Shadow 1000 and it sounds like it only gets better with nicer guns.

From my research, the CFX is highly recommended and I really like the idea of a non-barrel breaking gun. It just seems that it would be more accurate with a scope.

Here's a few questions though.

1. Will the CFX "diesel" like the shadow 1000?

2. What other guns would compare to the CFX that I should also consider?

3. Is the way you load the CFX a pain? To the point of changing anyones mind about it?

Thanks for any responses.

chris

July 7th, 2006, 1:23 am #2

there's something wrong with it. This is the Gamo forum, but we still need to be realistic about what guns can and cannot do. I believe that with some brands you are paying up to $100 or more just for the name. Not so with Gamo. They are inexpensive and yet still good quality guns. But because they are inexpensive some things will slip through the cracks. As long as you are aware of this and not afraid to use GamoUSA's LIFETIME warranty you will be more than happy with your gun. The CFX is very accurate, but mainly excels in its immunity to "hold sensitivity." It is that trait that will allow the CFX to be respectable in Hunter Class FT.

July 7th, 2006, 2:35 am #3

I'm new to airgunning and want to plink and shoot some starlings. I got to try out a Shadow 1000 today and really liked it other than I now know what "dieseling" is I think. I wasn't sure if I should make the investment in a nice airgun but now I'm somewhat hooked. I loved the feel of the Shadow 1000 and it sounds like it only gets better with nicer guns.

From my research, the CFX is highly recommended and I really like the idea of a non-barrel breaking gun. It just seems that it would be more accurate with a scope.

3. Is the way you load the CFX a pain? To the point of changing anyones mind about it?

chris
There are so many great guns you can pick from. I happen to like the CFX because it has all the attributes of guns costing much more. Until I am constantly able to produce a prefect shot in Hunter Class Field Targeting, the Gamo CFX will not let me down. I figure that may take me a while, at least a season or two or three.

Competing in a sport like FT one also needs to be somewhat competent in gun cleaning, maintenance and some level of tuning. I feel more at ease practicing my cleaning and maintenance skills on the CFX. If I somehow screw the whole thing up and have to scrap the entire gun I could cope. I would probably get another CFX right away. It’s been an all around good place for me to start.

If money is no object, and your wife won’t give you crap for spending big dollars on toys, then go for it get what ever you want. Some wives also want to settle the score right away when it comes to shopping. If they see you spend it. OK then when it’s their turn they want no questions asked just pay the bill. All wives are different right?

Hey, some guys buy high dollar titanium golf clubs and fancy shoes the first day they go to a driving range. They don’t have a swing and they can’t hit straight to save their life, but they got the best stuff. It doesn’t matter how or where you start in airgunning just start with something. It is a fun, inexpensive hobby and can be a very challenging sport if you decide to take on FT, Hunter Class style. Ether way you’re overall shooting skills will improve.

The CFX loading port is easy to get use too. I can load a break barrel faster. But I don’t shot at live targets... anymore. In FT the targets don’t fly or run away before you get your second shot off at them. I shoot at a slower Zen pace then my brother who also shoots the CFX in FT. I also shot my Dad’s RWS-48 .22 side cocking, bear trap loading gun. It cost more than twice of what the CFX cost and I prefer the CFX loading port and it performance.

July 7th, 2006, 2:41 am #4

copy and paste (repost) this on the Main Forum, Rick, IMO.

July 7th, 2006, 8:43 pm #5

chris
I was looking hard at CFX but bought a Shadow because I got a great deal on it. If I had the extra money I think the CFX is a better rifle. However, as far as my shooting needs, the Shadow works just fine and I am happy with it.

Or, I could say it this way. Shadow is the best I could find under $130. CFX was the best I could find under $200. I have since seen used or remanufactured CFX or Shadow for about $100.

I bought a Shadow 1000 without scope at Walmart for $125.

If you can afford to spend $300+ there are better guns/models out there. Gamo has a few better models. RWS and Beeman, among others, even Daisy and Crossmman have some excellent options at $300+.

The one thing I DO NOT like on these GAMO rifles is the trigger mechanisms. If you want a great trigger you need to buy and install a modified trigger blade, such as the GTX-II series or the new GRT-III.

Gamo only has to be better than their competition. There is no incentive to put great triggers on their rifles, they only need to be slightly better than their competition.

A quality rifle product with a cheap trigger. Kind of sad. But easily rectified.

July 10th, 2006, 1:36 am #6

chris
(1. Will the CFX "diesel" like the shadow 1000?)
All spring airguns will expel oil vapor 'smoke' for the first few shots. My CFX was no different. After about 40-50 shots the vapor went away. The number of shots to reduce it varies with each gun.

(2. What other guns would compare to the CFX that I should also consider?)
Not much that I've seen compares well for the price. The CFX has great power (it's about a 13-14.5fpe airgun) and the GFX trigger kit helps a great deal, but it will never be a Rekord or Air Arms or other high quality trigger. You will have to spend more to get a gun with a better trigger and the same power as the CFX.

(3. Is the way you load the CFX a pain? To the point of changing anyones mind about it?)
It takes a little to get used to but I have no issues with it. Long, high power scopes may not work as they would cover the opening.
Last edited by rs-mn on July 10th, 2006, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.