CFX general tips and tuning

CFX general tips and tuning

June 22nd, 2007, 9:55 am #1

Hello guys.

I am new to the airgun world, so I don't know that much yet, but I am getting better real fast.

Can you guys suggest some things which I can do to my CFX to get the most out of it? I don't mean the most speed. I mean the most accuracy.

I know that this rifle is quite tricky to hold, and I also know that sandbaging it helps a lot.

I know that I must touch the rifle at the same spot every time, keep relaxed, etc... What else must I do especially to the CFX?

Also, what is an easy part to tune on it that will help accuracy?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

June 22nd, 2007, 12:48 pm #2

June 22nd, 2007, 12:50 pm #3

Hello guys.

I am new to the airgun world, so I don't know that much yet, but I am getting better real fast.

Can you guys suggest some things which I can do to my CFX to get the most out of it? I don't mean the most speed. I mean the most accuracy.

I know that this rifle is quite tricky to hold, and I also know that sandbaging it helps a lot.

I know that I must touch the rifle at the same spot every time, keep relaxed, etc... What else must I do especially to the CFX?

<P>Shoot it!  The CFX is one of the least hold sensitive rifles made. I have three of them and they all shoot well no matter if you bench them or set it in a crook of a tree or shoot off hand with them.</P>
<P> Get a 1000 pellets through it and then decide if you want to do anything to the rifle like a spring chane of a tune. The rifle smooths out quite nice the more pellets you shoot and the trigger although stiff also gets better as you shoot the rifle. The only thing I would do is a trigger mod right away, and you have many choices on that item. There is two inserts and a complete trigger for Gamo's so you have many options on the trigger.</P>

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

June 22nd, 2007, 3:37 pm #4

Hello guys.

CFXs are so sweet to shoot, you might find that a completely stock one is fine for you. And mine were very accurate, right out of the box. My .22 is the first new rifle I've had where I had to shoot one shot outside a group (at 20 yards) to assure myself they were all going through one hole! (That's with Rich's trigger insert; I'm not sure it would have done that with the stock trigger and didn't try, I installed the insert immediately after receiving the rifle).

Joe C

June 22nd, 2007, 4:03 pm #5

Hello guys.

What ammo have you found to provide long range accuracy in your CFX?
Jeffery

June 22nd, 2007, 4:15 pm #6

Hi,
My .177 likes ... loves Crosman Premier Hollow Points and they are also cheap. Don't know why but try them, they also have excellent BC (drag) characteristics for longer shots. It also likes JSB Exacts 4.52/4.53 and Beeman Kodiaks. Superdomes are a tight fit but shoot well, although they have a low BC which may come into play for longer shots. My gun also likes JSB predators, Logun Penetrators and is OK with Crosman Premier lights.

Have Fun

John

June 23rd, 2007, 12:53 am #7

What ammo have you found to provide long range accuracy in your CFX?
Jeffery
The .22 did that 20-yd. one-hole group with Wolverines, but also likes Crosman Premiers...it's new and I haven't had a chance to run the normal tests. If I find a hollow point it shoots that well (maybe Predators) I'll be in nirvana.

.177 likes Wolverines and CPHs, but is very pellet-tolerant. These puppies are very easy to live with.

Joe C
Last edited by Agiyo on June 23rd, 2007, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2007, 8:48 am #8

Hello guys.

Thanks guys. That's a lot of things I can do to my rifle. Thanks for the pellet suggestions and the mod suggestions.

The fact is that this is my first rifle ever, so I can't complain about anything. Even the trigger doesn't seem bad to me because I haven't used any other trigger ever before. I only have 250 shoots through it, it's brand new.

I understand that the first things I "should" do is to get that new trigger insert and maybe a guide kit at a later stage.

Do I have to take the main spring out to make that trigger mod? The actual question is: Do I need a spring compressor to do it?

Thanks a lot

June 23rd, 2007, 3:40 pm #9

No the spring does not have to come out to mod the trigger.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

June 23rd, 2007, 4:21 pm #10

Thanks guys. That's a lot of things I can do to my rifle. Thanks for the pellet suggestions and the mod suggestions.

The fact is that this is my first rifle ever, so I can't complain about anything. Even the trigger doesn't seem bad to me because I haven't used any other trigger ever before. I only have 250 shoots through it, it's brand new.

I understand that the first things I "should" do is to get that new trigger insert and maybe a guide kit at a later stage.

Do I have to take the main spring out to make that trigger mod? The actual question is: Do I need a spring compressor to do it?

Thanks a lot
If the stock trigger is working for you, I suggest leaving it alone till you are much more familiar with the rifle. I've lived with guns of all sorts for 50 years, and while Rich's insert is a fantastic improvement over stock---for someone with experience---it is VERY light and requires very careful operation. At least mine does.

YMWV,

Joe C