CFX and BSA with Gas Rams........a little long

CFX and BSA with Gas Rams........a little long

March 10th, 2007, 2:14 pm #1

Just received my CFX and BSA Lightning XL back from David Slade, both with the Theoben gas ram upgrade. The CFX,in particular, was a very nice shooter before I sent it and even though I didn't have a chrony before I'm sure it shot in the 900's. But because I was sending my BSA Lightning XL I thought "what the heck", I'll send em both.
I only took 2 1/2 weeks for David to do his thing and by then I had received my F1 Chrony and thought I would share some numbers.
When I first got them back I shot 5 or 6 shots with each rifle just to hear and feel the differences in them. After only that few a shots I then began to shoot several 10 shot strings from both rifles using different pellets and here's what I got. Also fyi I used CPHP 7.9 gr pellets for FPS and accuracy benchmark, which are what the CFX liked to be fed before it was sent.

Pellet Type FPS FPE Joules
CPHP
7.9 935

avg 919.19 14.82 20.1

And the BSA with the same Pellet.......

CPHP 897.3
7.9 910.2

avg 901.06 14.25 19.31

Both rifles had such different personalities when I first began to shoot them with both taking 150 or so shots each to settle in (or for me to get the comfortable feel of the follow through etc). But it was as though there was a time around a hundred or so shots that each began to sound different (better) and the pellets seemed to begin to disappear into the same hole at 30yards.

Also they both sound different from one another and I guess its relative to the barrel lengths. But there is no question that the CFX is my favorite. It's sound and the smooth way it hurls pellets at an object is amazing. I've heard many people describe the way a gas ram sounds, but in my opinion, none do justice in describing the sound made from either of my guns and especially my CFX.
I highly recommend the Gas Ram upgrade. Though my chrony numbers show a wider spread than I like, I can tell you that with each shot they are becoming more consistent or I more knowledgeable in my follow through and with what I am doing. Hopefully both.
When they are better seasoned with a thousand or so rounds through each I'll post more chrony numbers.
I've a suggestion for you, if you have either of these rifles "GO GET A GAS RAM > YOU WON'T REGRET IT. $145 for the CFX and $135 for the BSA is the best money I've spent on my AirRifle addiction yet!! And I think you'd agree.

Good Shooting to All.
Bobalue

March 10th, 2007, 4:19 pm #2

on how the gas rams perform in areas of accuracy and durability. Are they much harder to cock? Does the cocking effort seem more smooth?

March 10th, 2007, 7:25 pm #3

Just received my CFX and BSA Lightning XL back from David Slade, both with the Theoben gas ram upgrade. The CFX,in particular, was a very nice shooter before I sent it and even though I didn't have a chrony before I'm sure it shot in the 900's. But because I was sending my BSA Lightning XL I thought "what the heck", I'll send em both.
I only took 2 1/2 weeks for David to do his thing and by then I had received my F1 Chrony and thought I would share some numbers.
When I first got them back I shot 5 or 6 shots with each rifle just to hear and feel the differences in them. After only that few a shots I then began to shoot several 10 shot strings from both rifles using different pellets and here's what I got. Also fyi I used CPHP 7.9 gr pellets for FPS and accuracy benchmark, which are what the CFX liked to be fed before it was sent.

CPHP
7.9 935

avg 919.19 14.82 20.1

CPHP 897.3
7.9 910.2

avg 901.06 14.25 19.31

Both rifles had such different personalities when I first began to shoot them with both taking 150 or so shots each to settle in (or for me to get the comfortable feel of the follow through etc). But it was as though there was a time around a hundred or so shots that each began to sound different (better) and the pellets seemed to begin to disappear into the same hole at 30yards.

Also they both sound different from one another and I guess its relative to the barrel lengths. But there is no question that the CFX is my favorite. It's sound and the smooth way it hurls pellets at an object is amazing. I've heard many people describe the way a gas ram sounds, but in my opinion, none do justice in describing the sound made from either of my guns and especially my CFX.
I highly recommend the Gas Ram upgrade. Though my chrony numbers show a wider spread than I like, I can tell you that with each shot they are becoming more consistent or I more knowledgeable in my follow through and with what I am doing. Hopefully both.
When they are better seasoned with a thousand or so rounds through each I'll post more chrony numbers.
I've a suggestion for you, if you have either of these rifles "GO GET A GAS RAM > YOU WON'T REGRET IT. $145 for the CFX and $135 for the BSA is the best money I've spent on my AirRifle addiction yet!! And I think you'd agree.

Good Shooting to All.
Bobalue
What an improvement!

March 11th, 2007, 12:12 am #4

on how the gas rams perform in areas of accuracy and durability. Are they much harder to cock? Does the cocking effort seem more smooth?
either rifle. The stroke on the CFX seems a little longer than it was and I know it probably is'nt. I only say that because there are times that I think I finished with the cocking pull and yet there's still a little more to go. It is consistent, quite, impressive and accurate.
Bobalue

March 11th, 2007, 2:04 am #5

CPHP
7.9 935

avg 919.19 14.82 20.1

CPHP 897.3
7.9 910.2

avg 901.06 14.25 19.31

Good Shooting to All.
Bobalue
and although a fading memory they are quite different. Your average spread looks good, the few extremes are probably due to poorly fitting pellet skirt or dieseling.

July 31st, 2008, 4:14 am #6

CPHP
7.9 935

avg 919.19 14.82 20.1

CPHP 897.3
7.9 910.2

avg 901.06 14.25 19.31

Good Shooting to All.
Bobalue
how is your CFX with the gas ram holding up?