Canted buttpad

Canted buttpad

September 17th, 2010, 3:52 pm #1

What's the opinion on a Morgan adj. pad mounted to be angled into the shoulder instead of straight back. This is on a spring gun and it seems to not be good idea. The stock was cut at about 25 degrees and the pad then mounted making it turn into the shooting shoulder.

September 17th, 2010, 6:06 pm #2

with a short butt hook to help locate the same every time. i really think it depends on how you like to mount gun. I have seen some springer shooters with an angled pad but don't know if it would work for me and i like what i have now. seems like it might create a sideways movement just kind of looking at the geometry and the force vector involved.

September 17th, 2010, 10:54 pm #3

What's the opinion on a Morgan adj. pad mounted to be angled into the shoulder instead of straight back. This is on a spring gun and it seems to not be good idea. The stock was cut at about 25 degrees and the pad then mounted making it turn into the shooting shoulder.
After finding tilting my Morgan a little left was more comfortable I found it would stay in place with a piece of thin leather between the two cross hatched sides after tightening hard. this is on a 97K-HW with a target stock...Good luck...c

September 18th, 2010, 1:03 am #4

Actually, what you describe is what I call Tilted. To me...Canted is when the verticle axis is not straight up and down and the bottom of the butt is pushed away from the body. I have mine both canted and tilted for comfort. I have made many stocks with the same tilt and cant and everyone that has received them loved the feel. I have done it with Morgans, Pachmayr, Hogues and even with my own butt pads. The stock that I just made last week for myself is the same way so why wouldn't it be a good idea? When I shoot standing, the gun is 90 degrees from my shoulder and goes across my body. The angled butt allows the butt to go into my shoulder instead of up against my arm. When shooting in the FT position, I am approx. at a 45% angle. That tilt and cant allows for more comfort. Don't see how someone can shoot a gun straight off their shoulder, but I guess it is all a matter of opinion.

Paul Bishop
http://paulbcustomstock.weebly.com/