Can't cock my varmint hunter

Can't cock my varmint hunter

October 18th, 2010, 4:30 pm #1

Here's the full story:

I put a JM spring and seal in the gun a while ago (maybe 300 shots ago) and was getting around 10fpe.
It was too big a spring for the gun, and I had to cut down the length of the spacer that goes on the rear guide to make it work.
It also had a smaller ID than the OEM spring, so I had to "turn" the rear spring guide and top hat to make them fit.

After a while, the GRTII trigger that had worked sell for 2000 shots prior to changing the spring started acting funny.
It seemed that a few shots would go smooth, then one or two shots would require about 12 pounds of trigger pull to release.

I took it apart last night and saw where the piston had dug into the sear and made a notch for itself. I am guessing the this notch is what caused the increased trigger pull weight. I took some fine sandpaper to smooth out the surface and put it back together. I fired off a dozen shots or so and all was well. Today, I took it outside and found that it will not catch. No matter what I do, I can't get the sear to hold the piston.

If I simply rounded off the sear, it wouldn't have shot fine last night, right?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

October 18th, 2010, 5:35 pm #2

...as if the problem is coming from elsewhere - that is to say, a defective trigger.

The vendor of the GRT trigger is held in disrepute here, because his knock-off copy of the GTX was dishonestly come by (a very old story). So unfortunately discussion of him and his product is generally discouraged, because of the free advertising it gives him.

So while I'm sorry you got a lemon (you probably had no idea of this issue when you bought it), the only fix I can suggest is that you buy from reputable dealers in future.

E.g., http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/GTX.htm

Steve

October 24th, 2010, 7:31 am #3

The trigger I have is a GRTIII, that I bought straight from Charlie Da Tuna. Charlie is (was) the original right?

October 24th, 2010, 2:43 pm #4

...and went into business for himself.

During that process he made a cosmetic change (added ribs on the front face of the blade) and a blunder. He changed the critical location of the Primary adjustment screw, which effectively ruined the 1st/2nd stage transition.

Meanwhile, learning from the mistake of trying to work with a thief, I took my time to find a reputable dealer - AoA - reviewed my original design, added the functional improvement of bearing-tip adjustment screws, and reintroduced the GTX as the GTXg2.

That's the history in a nutshell. Anyone interested in that history is invited to go back into the six year old archieves of the Yellow forum to when it was originally happening, and read daTuna saying it all in his own words - before he changed his story two years later.

For example: September 9 2004 at 5:40 PM CharlieDaTuna (Login Charlie-in-SC)

"I haven't discussed this with Steve, but he doesn't matter...LOL...he just comes up with the idea's and designs."

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/me ... rigger+mod

So actually neither "gold" trigger is exactly the original GTX, but only one works as well as the original did - because only one is made by the original designer. Me.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on October 24th, 2010, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.