can anyone post a vid on how to do vtaper with basic lathe..im new sorry..nt

can anyone post a vid on how to do vtaper with basic lathe..im new sorry..nt

June 17th, 2012, 12:26 am #1

I know a bunch of the basics..just wondering how the stepup is done on ldcs?

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>
Last edited by robnewyork on June 17th, 2012, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2012, 2:08 am #2

What is a vtaper? I do tapers using a couple of different methods.

June 17th, 2012, 2:26 am #3

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

June 17th, 2012, 2:50 am #4

For a short taper, I usually just angle my toolpost and use a carbide insert tool with a wide enough cutting face. And run it straight in with the cross slide. If it is going to be a longer taper, I rotate my compound to the desired angle and use it. If I was at the shop, I would take a picture for you.

June 17th, 2012, 2:06 pm #5

I'm sure that most tapers on a lathe are cut with a version of this:

http://cartertools.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... pound.html

June 17th, 2012, 3:48 pm #6

the taper will only be as long as the feed on the compound about 2-3". Some lathes will accept a taper attachment(costs about as much as the lathe) and you can make longer tapers, 12-14"

June 17th, 2012, 8:14 pm #7

Of the setup you need:

[/IMG]

Set the compound to the taper angle you want, in this case, I have a 10 degree taper set for this muzzle brake, that will give you a 20 degree included angle. As you can see, the cutter is set perpendicular to the compound. You'll most likely need to make several passes, advancing the cutter with the cross slide, but actually making the cuts with the compound. Stop when you have the small end to the size you want. It sounds more complicated than it is, once you've done the first one, the rest are easy .

BTW, you're probably better off starting with a wider angle than you think you'll want, that way, if the taper ends up shorter than you want, you can just decrease the angle and re-cut it. I happen to like 10 degrees, it gives me a nice looking taper without being too long. Hope that helps.

Dave

PS Something to keep in mind, on my lathe, the cross slide is at zero when it's parallel with the spindle axis, on some lathes, that would be 90 degrees. Obviously, if yours is the latter, you'd want the compound to be at 80 degrees in this case, rather than 10.

Oops, that should say the COMPOUND is at zero, not the cross slide. Sorry if that caused any confusion.
Last edited by daved20319 on June 18th, 2012, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 18th, 2012, 1:23 am #8

For a short taper, I usually just angle my toolpost and use a carbide insert tool with a wide enough cutting face. And run it straight in with the cross slide. If it is going to be a longer taper, I rotate my compound to the desired angle and use it. If I was at the shop, I would take a picture for you.
Ill learn soon.just dont wanna be too agressive doing it wrong.

June 18th, 2012, 1:26 am #9

I'm sure that most tapers on a lathe are cut with a version of this:

http://cartertools.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... pound.html
He said it took several passes and this cut is not as simple as i once thought.

June 18th, 2012, 1:29 am #10

the taper will only be as long as the feed on the compound about 2-3". Some lathes will accept a taper attachment(costs about as much as the lathe) and you can make longer tapers, 12-14"
Neil clagues work i always wondered how he did those dramatic stepups in short lengths..thanks for info.look foward to your project results.