Can anyone point me to a source for adjustable iris aperture..

January 1st, 2010, 5:51 pm #1

discs for Beeman or Williams peep sights? I thought that Brownell's had them, but don't seem to be able to find them on their site. Nor, have I found them at PA. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

January 1st, 2010, 5:57 pm #2

Mine is a Gehman Adjustable Iris, there is an adapter that you need to buy as well to attach it to the William's Peep Sight. A quick talk with Champion's Choice will get you exactly what you need, highly recommended!!!

Regards,

Tony

January 1st, 2010, 6:35 pm #3

Thanks for the info Tony.

January 1st, 2010, 6:36 pm #4

Mine is a Gehman Adjustable Iris, there is an adapter that you need to buy as well to attach it to the William's Peep Sight. A quick talk with Champion's Choice will get you exactly what you need, highly recommended!!!

Regards,

Tony

I'm a fan of aperture sights and you have to be carefull. The interchangability of the whole aperture sight from gun to gun is schetchy at best. I have quite a few different sights ranging from Williams, HW, AA, FWB and Gheman. Many only fit on certain guns. Then when you go and switch out diopters there are different sizes as well. Tony is correct. Call Champions Choice and they will most likely be able to answer any gun/sight question you may have. The were a world of help for me. Also Mike Driskal (sp)??? here on the forum has a wealth of knoledge in this area.

January 1st, 2010, 6:36 pm #5

discs for Beeman or Williams peep sights? I thought that Brownell's had them, but don't seem to be able to find them on their site. Nor, have I found them at PA. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...
Brownells web search is a nightmare. You can't find anything using it unless you already know exactly what it's called. Look under "Merit" for companies and you night find them. They make a range of adjustable pupil disks with threads to match any factory sight body. It's the first upgrade I make to any aperture sight. While you are at it, have them send you a paper catalog. It's much better.

Teryx

January 1st, 2010, 6:41 pm #6

your assessment of the utility of Brownell's site. I have a really old hard-copy of their catalog, and will request a current one. Used to order all sorts of parts for powderburners from them. But you're right that their search engine is pretty poor.

January 1st, 2010, 8:01 pm #7

January 1st, 2010, 9:50 pm #8

I'm a fan of aperture sights and you have to be carefull. The interchangability of the whole aperture sight from gun to gun is schetchy at best. I have quite a few different sights ranging from Williams, HW, AA, FWB and Gheman. Many only fit on certain guns. Then when you go and switch out diopters there are different sizes as well. Tony is correct. Call Champions Choice and they will most likely be able to answer any gun/sight question you may have. The were a world of help for me. Also Mike Driskal (sp)??? here on the forum has a wealth of knoledge in this area.
I am also considering a rear iris for my Anschutz sights as I am having more and more of a hard time getting a clear sight pic. I wonder how much of a difference it makes and which one to get. The more adjustable the better? Filters, magnification etc it gets complicated.

January 1st, 2010, 10:00 pm #9

Just about any match shooting dealer can provide the adjustable iris units--lots of options besides Brownell's.

The Merit disks are of course specifically made for US sights and very nicely made, but rather expensive.

Note, the British-made Parker-Hale sight disks will work in some US sights, but not all. While the thread size is nominally the same (7/32 x 40), the thread pitch angle is a little different on the English units. I have found that PH eyepieces will fit Lyman sights, but not Williams or Redfield.

The German sights all use the same thread (9.5 mm x 1.0 mm) and are theoretically interchangeable between all brands of these sights, though occasionally you will run into a bit of inconsistency here. I've never had a major problem, though I do have a Gehmann iris which is a little picky about fitting into FWB sights!

I definitely agree with the suggestion to get one of the Euro-sized adjustable iris units, together with an adapter for US sights. That way you are good to go, even if you add a nice German match rifle in the future. (Caveat: if you get an iris with a magnifying lens, the field-of-view will be slightly restricted when looking through the smaller opening in the adapter.)

Another advantage of the German irises over Merit, is that they can be had with colored filters, polarizing lenses, or magnifying lenses; in literally any combination of 1, 2, or all 3 features. IMHO the polarizers are mostly to control heat mirage in long-range outdoor shooting, but the other two features can be very useful in airgun shooting. Colored filters can help optimize contrast between the target and the bull. The magnifying lenses, while illegal in many formal matches, are absolutely fantastic for older eyes. I use one most of the time...you don't notice the target being bigger so much as just clearer!

This photo shows a selection of rear sight gadgets. The big one on the left is what I call "the kitchen sink," a Gehmann 535 with lens, colored filters, and polarizer. Note that the lens can be removed; the thing next to the iris is an adapter for using it that way. The unit third from the right is an older Gehmann with iris only.

This pic shows the iris I actually use the most--another old Gehmann, with non-removable lens (gun is an HW 55 CM with old Anschutz diopter sight). Found the iris cheap on an auction site.

Last but not least, here is my old HW 50 S, with an old Williams sight, and an old Gehmann iris-only unit using a simple adapter. I got the adapter from Champion's Choice near Nashville, a great dealer.

January 2nd, 2010, 12:19 am #10

I am also considering a rear iris for my Anschutz sights as I am having more and more of a hard time getting a clear sight pic. I wonder how much of a difference it makes and which one to get. The more adjustable the better? Filters, magnification etc it gets complicated.
Having the ability to change the rear iris size helps considerably. It's greatest advantage is to be able to adjust to the surounding conditions. Indoor v.s. outdoor. Low light v.s. bright light. I never did get the color lenses but they work well in tough to see conditions. Haze/brush/snow ect... What you can't see well with the naked eye can be seen better with the colored lenses. I also have adjustable front sights. This also helps. If you ever decide to get a lense that has magnification I sugest getting one for the front sight. When you add magnification to the rear aperture it just distorts the entire view. Putting it on the front sight makes just the target more clear not the entire picture.