BSA Barrels

BSA Barrels

April 11th, 2012, 12:28 am #1

I have a BSA Techstar, and when I bought it, the barrel had been cut down to 16 5/8" from the original 18". I came across a unmolested barrel and bought it. I now am interested in doing a project with the original barrel, but, am interested in your thoughts and ideas on the barrel. Is it junk, or should it still work OK? Is the barrel choked, and if so, how long is the choked area? How much more could I cut it down and still have a useable barrel? Anyone have any thoughts on it? I never shot the original barrel before I switched it out.

April 11th, 2012, 12:39 am #2

BSA barrels are legendary for accuracy. I wouldn't toss it because it was cut back at some point. If you do toss it, pitch it my way.

April 11th, 2012, 12:46 am #3

I have a BSA Techstar, and when I bought it, the barrel had been cut down to 16 5/8" from the original 18". I came across a unmolested barrel and bought it. I now am interested in doing a project with the original barrel, but, am interested in your thoughts and ideas on the barrel. Is it junk, or should it still work OK? Is the barrel choked, and if so, how long is the choked area? How much more could I cut it down and still have a useable barrel? Anyone have any thoughts on it? I never shot the original barrel before I switched it out.
and see if you can detect a tight spot. Clean it and see why it's tight there. If it looks good, mark the rod you are using to push the pellet at that spot and cut there. Crown it and check the accuracy.

Last edited by bigbore on April 11th, 2012, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 11th, 2012, 2:48 am #4

BSA has a pretty long tradition of making some very good barrels. If the chop job was done in an improper manner, which would be to cut from the front of the barrel, thus removing the choke, it will probably never be as accurate as a choked BSA bore.

If it was cut down the right way, which is from the breech end, you are good to go. A good barrel can generally be cut down as much as you want to cut. I have one floating around out there that has an 11" barrel on it that is an absolute tack driver.

Regards,
DaveG
See more picts @http://davegcustomstocks.com

April 11th, 2012, 3:53 am #5

The bores are ever so slightly tapered..but no choke.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

April 11th, 2012, 5:47 pm #6

That sounds like good news. This barrel may just do the trick after all. I was asking if they had a choke. I did not know.

April 11th, 2012, 10:52 pm #7

The bores are ever so slightly tapered..but no choke.

John Dobson
I have two bsa barrels in .22, both are definitely choked.
Dan

April 11th, 2012, 11:27 pm #8

I have a bunch of Beesas.. and there's no choke in them. All were UK made. I'm wondering if any of the Spanish barrelled guns have chokes..?

John Dobson

April 11th, 2012, 11:59 pm #9

Mine were blanks from the UK factory.
Dan

April 12th, 2012, 12:03 am #10

posting because I have three choked BSA barrels.....

"A further big advantage of the cold swaging process is that it can be used to produce a natural choke at one end of the barrel. The normal method of choking is to finish the barrel and then squeeze the outside diameter to reduce the bore size, but in some circumstances this can distort the pattern of the rifling. However with the BSA method the rifling form is reproduced perfectly from the impression on the mandrel, with the bore gradually decreasing very slightly in diameter to give a perfect choke with considerable benefits in accuracy."

"Silence is the only thing that can hinder the Truth"