Breech & Trigger issues...

Breech & Trigger issues...

November 22nd, 2011, 1:06 am #1

Readers

Just taken delivery of a new Custom QB from Archer. It has most of the extras added & installed. Love the gun & it shoot very well and is more accurate than I expected but have three questions for the forum readers who have walk the modification route. I would be interested in your opinions and fixes.. :

1. Does any on else (besides me ) think the $ 30.00 off set fix to allow 2" dia co2 or hpa tank to be installed is real cheap fix ? What about a breach riser or better yet I purchased a Weaver breach and why not just make the it taller ? does any one currently make such a fix ? I have a plan but I am sure others have walked this before me. Help!

2. I ordered a 2 stage trigger kit installed. So, where is the 2nd stage ? and the trigger is even rougher than the stock Crosman 2240. Has any one adjusted or made that trigger two stage with that kit + made it smooth? Could you share that persons name and email address.

3. It has to do with the small dia pin used to push the pellet in the breech. OK ( John did talk about it ) but my fingers do not work as well as in years gone by and with out that little extra the pellet just will not slide properly. ? any fixes like going back to the standard pin ?

I do like the gun and the above questions are not intended as a complaint against the product or any person, just striving to make it a better shooter.

George in Idaho

November 22nd, 2011, 2:12 am #2

Have been people who have made a spacer for between the breech and air tube...some times needing longer pins...new transfer port....and abandoning barrel bands. Not as easy as it looks, but it can be done (and has been sold...but can't remember where).

Whole new riser breech would work, and these are sold as well.

But suspect that the cost is going to be more than the price of the Archer off-set

BTW...Two alternate solutions...neither one real cheap:
#1.going to the skinnier standard QB barrel often cures a slight contact problem just fine.
#2. if someone were to make resonably priced co2 tanks that were actually UNDER 2" in diameter, would fit just fine. Costs a bit, and is way over strength, but if you can find an empty 22CI HPA tank, it will take a standard paintball valve, is smaller in diameter than 9oz. tanks, and safely holds 10oz of co2.

Getting a real two-stage is not in the QB design; it can be done but its more drastic than just adding a few parts. Best thing about the trigger kit is that it gets most of the slack out of the parts so that once you do get it adjusted for a good pull, it tends to stay adjusted.

Can usually go back to a standard bolt probe, which can be shorter. The pin type probes push the pellet in from the hollow center of the hollow skirt...the factory hollow type probes push the pellet in from the edges of that skirt...so they can be shorter and still get the pellet into the barrel just as deeply.

ONE more BTW:
Probably noticed that most 9oz. co2 tanks are not made to exacting standards. As you screw it on, will see no contact...contact...no contact...etc. they aren't threaded dead straight. For any paintball use, that 1/8-1/4" of "wobble" isn't important, but for QB use is is.
Last edited by gubb33ps on November 22nd, 2011, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2011, 2:37 am #3

Readers

Just taken delivery of a new Custom QB from Archer. It has most of the extras added & installed. Love the gun & it shoot very well and is more accurate than I expected but have three questions for the forum readers who have walk the modification route. I would be interested in your opinions and fixes.. :

1. Does any on else (besides me ) think the $ 30.00 off set fix to allow 2" dia co2 or hpa tank to be installed is real cheap fix ? What about a breach riser or better yet I purchased a Weaver breach and why not just make the it taller ? does any one currently make such a fix ? I have a plan but I am sure others have walked this before me. Help!

2. I ordered a 2 stage trigger kit installed. So, where is the 2nd stage ? and the trigger is even rougher than the stock Crosman 2240. Has any one adjusted or made that trigger two stage with that kit + made it smooth? Could you share that persons name and email address.

3. It has to do with the small dia pin used to push the pellet in the breech. OK ( John did talk about it ) but my fingers do not work as well as in years gone by and with out that little extra the pellet just will not slide properly. ? any fixes like going back to the standard pin ?

I do like the gun and the above questions are not intended as a complaint against the product or any person, just striving to make it a better shooter.

George in Idaho
Hello George,

Thanks for posting. I hope you don't mind if I offer a couple of comments? In answer to your questions...

1. There have been breech risers and spacers available, most notably from JRA, but these products have not been available recently (you'll see other posts on this further down this Forum). One reason I chose the "screw in" offset approach with the QB79 Paintball Adapter was that it's very easy to install. I didn't go with the riser breech or spacer approach as then the factory front band will no longer fit. Replacement hammer and cocking pins may required also. Either a new front band would then need to be designed and made, or the barrel and main tube no longer support each other with (I believe) detrimental effects on accuracy. All these would add to the cost of the "fix" to provide increased clearance between 9-ounce tank and barrel.

2. If you're not too happy with the 2-stage trigger setting, you can adjust the pull weight and overtravel screws in the trigger mechanism. I'll also send you a PDF of the adjustment instructions so that you can investigate further. The trigger does smooth out significantly with a little use.

3. The XP Tune Kit bolt uses a thin probe to push the pellet into the barrel. This increases the muzzle velocity by reducing the barriers to gas flow behind the pellet. The narrow probe bears on the center of the pellet as it pushes it into the barrel. The standard bolt probe bears on the edge of the pellet - this may make loading pellets easier, but it significantly reduces muzzle velocity. Typically, I find it easiest to thumb the pellet into the rear of the barrel and then push it home by closing the bolt. Some pellets will load more readily than others.

I hope this helps. Please email me at sales@archerairguns.com if you would like me to call and discuss.

Stephen Archer
Archer Airguns Inc.
Online stores http://www.archerairguns.com
http://www.archerpelletguns.com
Videos http://www.youtube.com/ArcherAirguns
Blog http://www.archerairguns.info

November 22nd, 2011, 3:01 am #4

Have been people who have made a spacer for between the breech and air tube...some times needing longer pins...new transfer port....and abandoning barrel bands. Not as easy as it looks, but it can be done (and has been sold...but can't remember where).

But suspect that the cost is going to be more than the price of the Archer off-set

#1.going to the skinnier standard QB barrel often cures a slight contact problem just fine.
#2. if someone were to make resonably priced co2 tanks that were actually UNDER 2" in diameter, would fit just fine. Costs a bit, and is way over strength, but if you can find an empty 22CI HPA tank, it will take a standard paintball valve, is smaller in diameter than 9oz. tanks, and safely holds 10oz of co2.

Getting a real two-stage is not in the QB design; it can be done but its more drastic than just adding a few parts. Best thing about the trigger kit is that it gets most of the slack out of the parts so that once you do get it adjusted for a good pull, it tends to stay adjusted.

Can usually go back to a standard bolt probe, which can be shorter. The pin type probes push the pellet in from the hollow center of the hollow skirt...the factory hollow type probes push the pellet in from the edges of that skirt...so they can be shorter and still get the pellet into the barrel just as deeply.

ONE more BTW:
Probably noticed that most 9oz. co2 tanks are not made to exacting standards. As you screw it on, will see no contact...contact...no contact...etc. they aren't threaded dead straight. For any paintball use, that 1/8-1/4" of "wobble" isn't important, but for QB use is is.
and the very good insite. This gun is very new to me and the learning curve will be very high.

Plan A will be to remove the $ 30.00 adapter and us the standard 79 opening. In the very beginning I plan to use an in line of/off slide valve and and 88 gram co2 via the adapter as the power source.

In my mind this does two thing for me. 1st in takes the stress of the gun from a 9 oz co2 bottle hanging in front of the gun & allows for easy changing of the bottles.

I do believe that a manifold system with 2 13 ci HPA bottles can be adapted using the large stocks thru hole as an attach point.

So until I shoot the gun a lot more and work to bugs out I know it will be a fun toy to play with.

To all shoot well and often...

George

November 22nd, 2011, 3:16 am #5

Hello George,

Thanks for posting. I hope you don't mind if I offer a couple of comments? In answer to your questions...

1. There have been breech risers and spacers available, most notably from JRA, but these products have not been available recently (you'll see other posts on this further down this Forum). One reason I chose the "screw in" offset approach with the QB79 Paintball Adapter was that it's very easy to install. I didn't go with the riser breech or spacer approach as then the factory front band will no longer fit. Replacement hammer and cocking pins may required also. Either a new front band would then need to be designed and made, or the barrel and main tube no longer support each other with (I believe) detrimental effects on accuracy. All these would add to the cost of the "fix" to provide increased clearance between 9-ounce tank and barrel.

2. If you're not too happy with the 2-stage trigger setting, you can adjust the pull weight and overtravel screws in the trigger mechanism. I'll also send you a PDF of the adjustment instructions so that you can investigate further. The trigger does smooth out significantly with a little use.

3. The XP Tune Kit bolt uses a thin probe to push the pellet into the barrel. This increases the muzzle velocity by reducing the barriers to gas flow behind the pellet. The narrow probe bears on the center of the pellet as it pushes it into the barrel. The standard bolt probe bears on the edge of the pellet - this may make loading pellets easier, but it significantly reduces muzzle velocity. Typically, I find it easiest to thumb the pellet into the rear of the barrel and then push it home by closing the bolt. Some pellets will load more readily than others.

I hope this helps. Please email me at sales@archerairguns.com if you would like me to call and discuss.

Stephen Archer
Archer Airguns Inc.
Online stores http://www.archerairguns.com
http://www.archerpelletguns.com
Videos http://www.youtube.com/ArcherAirguns
Blog http://www.archerairguns.info
Stephen

Thank you for getting back to me. Please do not take my comments negative. I have shot about 50 pellets thru the gun in my garage. It seems to be very accurate using the simple crosman 7.9 pellets.

We are headed to a club match this weekend and if it is in house I plan to take it. If we shoot out side it is getting very cold and will take a HPA gun.

Triggers are the most subjective thing on a gun and I will just get use to in and as you say, hope it smooths out some. If not I will get it worked on. This is were I will say " I am a shooter" and do not do any serious work or modification to guns. I do how very have a Tool and die maker on my speed dial for that effort.

Have you ever heard of any one doing a manifold hook up with 2 13 ci HPA tanks ? I think this could work and may get it a go-- rather my machinist will.

I am very happy and have lots of plans for the gun. It is a long winter in the north country as you know. I Like shooting co2 inside and HPA out side. I Purchase the weaver rail because I plan to set up two scopes one for bench rest and F/T. & one for 10 meter indoors shooting. all I will have to do is change to co2 and my 3-9 scope and shoot. and so on. You get the picture. That way I do not have to spend all day re zeroing the gun when it is time to shoot.

So again Thanks and I will be getting back with you shortly for some additional spare parts.

George in Idaho

November 22nd, 2011, 6:22 pm #6

ONE more BTW:
I was fortunate to be able to take my bottle fed QB
into the local Gander Mountain store.
(in a case of course)

They allowed me to go through the bottles they had in stock
and try the fit of each one. I quit when I found three
that would screw into the rifle and not touch anything as they
were screwed in. Checked quite a few to find those three.

November 24th, 2011, 9:32 pm #7

Stephen

Thank you for getting back to me. Please do not take my comments negative. I have shot about 50 pellets thru the gun in my garage. It seems to be very accurate using the simple crosman 7.9 pellets.

We are headed to a club match this weekend and if it is in house I plan to take it. If we shoot out side it is getting very cold and will take a HPA gun.

Triggers are the most subjective thing on a gun and I will just get use to in and as you say, hope it smooths out some. If not I will get it worked on. This is were I will say " I am a shooter" and do not do any serious work or modification to guns. I do how very have a Tool and die maker on my speed dial for that effort.

Have you ever heard of any one doing a manifold hook up with 2 13 ci HPA tanks ? I think this could work and may get it a go-- rather my machinist will.

I am very happy and have lots of plans for the gun. It is a long winter in the north country as you know. I Like shooting co2 inside and HPA out side. I Purchase the weaver rail because I plan to set up two scopes one for bench rest and F/T. & one for 10 meter indoors shooting. all I will have to do is change to co2 and my 3-9 scope and shoot. and so on. You get the picture. That way I do not have to spend all day re zeroing the gun when it is time to shoot.

So again Thanks and I will be getting back with you shortly for some additional spare parts.

George in Idaho
a light touch on the surfaces and the sear will make a world of difference, don't use moly to lube, just plain clear grease works well...

mailto:flyingdragonairrifles@hotmail.com
Bestairgun.com 515-924-3699