Boy, I am definately not a contender at Pistol Field Target!! ....

Boy, I am definately not a contender at Pistol Field Target!! ....

September 19th, 2011, 9:09 pm #1

But I sure had fun this weekend at our match shooting PFT with the pistoleers at our club!!

I've always had such a tough time with scrunching down so low with these little pistols. A couple of the fellas that shoot Hunter FT adopted the shooting sticks for PFT so I gave it a try. It didn't help my scores any, but I had a much more enjoyable time shootinng PFT and didn't have a neck-ache afterwards.

Out of 6 of us who shot the PFT match 4 of us were using the Hunter-PFT method. Except for mine, the scores were pretty competitive across the board. I'm looking forward to trying this again up at the Western Regionals.

lhd

September 19th, 2011, 9:29 pm #2

NO scrunchin down near the ground all bent over the gun for this ole boy! I have a co2 powered Tau-7 iron sight gun ready for the iorn sight class, which I'll try to shoot mostly offhand if I can, but will sit on my folder chair when I can't.

I'm just finishing up a Falcon scoped pistol for the HFTP class. The Falcon WAS an FN19 with FN12 thumbhole carbine stock, but Ive cut the action and barrel to meet the pistol spec, and am cutting off the buttstock behind the pistol grip. Hope it works ok.

See ya at Grant's pass.

September 19th, 2011, 10:40 pm #3

But I sure had fun this weekend at our match shooting PFT with the pistoleers at our club!!

I've always had such a tough time with scrunching down so low with these little pistols. A couple of the fellas that shoot Hunter FT adopted the shooting sticks for PFT so I gave it a try. It didn't help my scores any, but I had a much more enjoyable time shootinng PFT and didn't have a neck-ache afterwards.

Out of 6 of us who shot the PFT match 4 of us were using the Hunter-PFT method. Except for mine, the scores were pretty competitive across the board. I'm looking forward to trying this again up at the Western Regionals.

September 19th, 2011, 11:12 pm #4

NO scrunchin down near the ground all bent over the gun for this ole boy! I have a co2 powered Tau-7 iron sight gun ready for the iorn sight class, which I'll try to shoot mostly offhand if I can, but will sit on my folder chair when I can't.

I'm just finishing up a Falcon scoped pistol for the HFTP class. The Falcon WAS an FN19 with FN12 thumbhole carbine stock, but Ive cut the action and barrel to meet the pistol spec, and am cutting off the buttstock behind the pistol grip. Hope it works ok.

See ya at Grant's pass.
L D

Do you have a list of the casa shooters headed to Grants Pass in a week and a half ? When does your group plan to arrive ? I have been in contact with Vince P but do not know for sure if he is signed up. I will send him an email this evening.

Looking forward to catching up on stories... Ron Gill ( President of our Idaho club) and I will be coming in Late Wed to help with the set up on Thursday. I hope this give us time for many stories....

lhd

September 20th, 2011, 1:42 am #5

Not sure who IS coming, but Vince tole me today he doesn't plan to.

September 20th, 2011, 2:30 am #6

One that our two non HPFT-ers were using. Mine is just a stock Marauder Pistol. I'll have to work on my game and come up with something that works for me. Lifes been a little to busy lately so I'm trying very hard to avoid any more projects. I do have a Steve Corcoran stock for it that I still need to try out though. I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference except on the grip end.

Lonnie Smith
Associate Match Director DFTC
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org/home.html

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"

September 20th, 2011, 2:33 pm #7

Creedmoor position - with a pistol scope or red dot? No scrunching required.

lhd

September 20th, 2011, 5:50 pm #8

In a REAL FT match, with varied terrain and fairly open equipment and position rules, I have seen folks TRY Creedmore style, but the more they use it, the worse they usually do. Its a position created and maintained by artificially stifling rules, and it isn't very competitive in the more varied conditions of many FT matches.

Its similar to using one hand 10M style at an NRA air pistol Silhouette match. A few speialsists do ok .... for awhile, but they eventually switch to two-hand shooting.

September 21st, 2011, 12:45 am #9

Creedmoor position - with a pistol scope or red dot? No scrunching required.
I vaguely remember a description and it sounded like your laying on your back with the pistol against your knee. Not even sure that it correct but it doesn't sound ike anything i'd be limber enough to do.

I would be fine shooting it off my elbow too if the rules allowed for me to use a knee pad or my a bean bag to get my elbow up higher. It really just comes down to being able to being able to look through the scope without a lot of straining.

lhd

September 21st, 2011, 3:28 am #10

You have a hard kicking pistol, like a .7mm or sumthin, where you NEED a long eye relief scope, or if you have open sights and can't seem to hold the gun out far enough while sitting to get a decent sight picture.