Bore lapping & polishing

Bore lapping & polishing

September 9th, 2017, 12:31 pm #1

Is it just me and I can't leave well enough alone or is it the air gunner in us that we always have two tinker with something to see if it makes our gun better or more accurate or just to see what the outcome is? Who knows. My whole point is saying all this is about lapping and polishing a barrel. How is it known if you do need it or not? Or lets say if you don't need it will your Barrel still benefit from it? Like as most of you may have already know I have a air arms prosport and an RWS 54. Now John Thomas already lapped and polish my 54 and she shoots amazing. My prosport is untuned and she is what is supposedly one of the best airguns off the assembly line. She shoots amazingly at whatever distances which really equates to 55 yards. But I'm always striving for that little bit tighter group as we all have and or doing. So my question to you guys are do you think it will benefit from a lap and polish? Or should I just leave well enough alone? Another question. What makes it the deciding factor to lap and polish apparel and how would you guys do it on a fixed Barrel rifle. Now I'm not going to do it on my Pro Sport but just in case if I get bored one day, LOL.

September 9th, 2017, 12:36 pm #2

Be careful here. Airgun barrels use relatively soft steel compared to firearms. VERY easy to go to far in your quest for perfection and actually ruin a barrel. If its shooting good i'd leave it alone.

September 9th, 2017, 12:38 pm #3

Is it just me and I can't leave well enough alone or is it the air gunner in us that we always have two tinker with something to see if it makes our gun better or more accurate or just to see what the outcome is? Who knows. My whole point is saying all this is about lapping and polishing a barrel. How is it known if you do need it or not? Or lets say if you don't need it will your Barrel still benefit from it? Like as most of you may have already know I have a air arms prosport and an RWS 54. Now John Thomas already lapped and polish my 54 and she shoots amazing. My prosport is untuned and she is what is supposedly one of the best airguns off the assembly line. She shoots amazingly at whatever distances which really equates to 55 yards. But I'm always striving for that little bit tighter group as we all have and or doing. So my question to you guys are do you think it will benefit from a lap and polish? Or should I just leave well enough alone? Another question. What makes it the deciding factor to lap and polish apparel and how would you guys do it on a fixed Barrel rifle. Now I'm not going to do it on my Pro Sport but just in case if I get bored one day, LOL.
along with re-crowning the muzzle. The factory rifling job on the barrel had been really rough even after going through and thoroughly cleaning mine. The crown looked like they just stuck a counter sink in the end (and off-centered at that) so shored the end up and did a proper 11 degree and that improved it more taking out flier shots I kept getting, then lapped the whole thing which took it to a nice polished and shiny inside that pulled the groups in a good bit more (even with crappier ammo that it didn't like as much before). If your barrel was fairly good to start with then it may not benefit from the lapping at all, and could in fact become worse, however if you had a cruddy pitted funky barrel to start with it can certainly improve it and turn it into something quite usable.

September 9th, 2017, 1:06 pm #4

Good point(s). The Airmax's chinese barrel can vary greatly and then add to that sitting in a shipping container for who knows long(or dry) on its way here. I'm not on a chinese barrel witch-hunt but the quality of chin. barrels can be all over the map compared to BSA's(UK guns), HW,LW, etc. I guess i've just been really lucky because i've never had a problem with an airgun barrel. Had mechanical issues but so far good luck with the tubes.

September 9th, 2017, 2:06 pm #5

Air Arms uses LW barrels so the odds are that the barrel is pretty darn good,as is. Perhaps give it a good cleaning with either Goo Gone or Ballistol (my choice). Then let it settle in with it's preferred ammo (mine likes JSB 8.44s) relax,and do some shooting. 9 times out of 10,bad groups are MY fault. Not to impune Your skill level, but practice is a Huge part of the discipline that often takes a backseat when we (myself included!) are prone to have itchy "tinkerin fingers". Just my thoughts...hope it's helpful!
Last edited by MScottLeeman on September 9th, 2017, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 9th, 2017, 4:17 pm #6

otherwise, unless you want to try firelapping.

Lapping (done correctly by a skilled operator, with a cast in bore lead lap on a ball bearing swivel handle, from the breach) will always improve a bore. The degree of improvement is what varies, and there is some risk of creating an oversize bore if what the factory sent you is near the upper end of the caliber specs.

LW bores are button rifled, and will benefit from a skilled lap job, even if only to extend the number of shots between leading up.

Hammer forged barrels( older BSA only, so far as I know) won't benefit much...they are already nearly ideal(taper bore with a smooth internal finish) and tend to be a bit oversize to start with.

Do a few cheapies before you lap an expensive gun.

September 9th, 2017, 10:02 pm #7

JB bore compound has always worked well for me. It cleans down to the grooves the bore nicely and does no damage. Just work from the breech end and don't be overly aggressive.

September 10th, 2017, 2:13 am #8

Be careful here. Airgun barrels use relatively soft steel compared to firearms. VERY easy to go to far in your quest for perfection and actually ruin a barrel. If its shooting good i'd leave it alone.
I am thinking the same thing nt

September 10th, 2017, 2:14 am #9

along with re-crowning the muzzle. The factory rifling job on the barrel had been really rough even after going through and thoroughly cleaning mine. The crown looked like they just stuck a counter sink in the end (and off-centered at that) so shored the end up and did a proper 11 degree and that improved it more taking out flier shots I kept getting, then lapped the whole thing which took it to a nice polished and shiny inside that pulled the groups in a good bit more (even with crappier ammo that it didn't like as much before). If your barrel was fairly good to start with then it may not benefit from the lapping at all, and could in fact become worse, however if you had a cruddy pitted funky barrel to start with it can certainly improve it and turn it into something quite usable.
Thanks for the advice brother nt

September 10th, 2017, 2:15 am #10

Air Arms uses LW barrels so the odds are that the barrel is pretty darn good,as is. Perhaps give it a good cleaning with either Goo Gone or Ballistol (my choice). Then let it settle in with it's preferred ammo (mine likes JSB 8.44s) relax,and do some shooting. 9 times out of 10,bad groups are MY fault. Not to impune Your skill level, but practice is a Huge part of the discipline that often takes a backseat when we (myself included!) are prone to have itchy "tinkerin fingers". Just my thoughts...hope it's helpful!
+1 on the tinkering fingers mike nt