Blue Strek Blues

Blue Strek Blues

March 19th, 2012, 11:35 am #1

<p>Have a 1970 Sheridan Blue Streak that looks bad but pumps up pretty strong and holds air well that has developed an issue I can't figure out so hopeful someone else has run accross a similar issue and can point me in the right direction. </p><p>Had a few pumpss in it and every week or so would dry fire it to make sure it was holding air. Went to test one last time before boxing it up for sale and pulled the bolt back to dry fire. When I did it would mini fire each time I tried to cock the bolt and released tension. It will not pull hammer back far enough to engage sear so can't be fired with trigger. However each time you pull back bolt far enough and release it puffs a little air until valve empties. </p><p>Opened up the back and everything seems there and unbroken except the hammer has a cast ring that is only a half moon. No pieces came out for the other half and I don't know if it is supposed to be that way or not.</p><p>Any ideas?</p><p>Thanks</p><p>Tom</p>

March 19th, 2012, 3:08 pm #2

...and that's why the broken piece(s) are missing.

The hammer will engage with the sear, cock, and allow the gun to fire normally when the hammer happens to be rotated so that the intact part of the ring is on the bottom, but doesn't when it rotates to the top and misses the sear.

Make sense?

Steve

March 19th, 2012, 4:01 pm #3

<p>Thanks Steve, it does make sense- I'll give a test and if it works according to that theory, I'll know to look for another hammer.</p><p>Tom</p>

March 20th, 2012, 3:43 am #4

one it will be the same way. don't know why but i think they came this way from the factory. i've never seen one with the full ring around it, just the half part and i've been in a LOT of dans thru the years. never had a problem with any of them. if it won't cock, rotate it 180 degrees that's what i do and never have a problem. of all of them i've been in thru the years if the ring was on it and broke off i would have found at least one of the pieces inside the tube i believe.
Last edited by johnny366 on March 20th, 2012, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2012, 1:45 am #5

<p>Thanks Johnny</p><p>I have a bit of experience with Crosman but not Dans good to know. Anything else cause the thing not to cock all the way? I can't see any reason not too. Pretty simple mechanism actually. Not all that different from Crosman's on the hammer side?</p><p>T</p>

March 21st, 2012, 4:26 am #6

the hammer from rotating unless it's the contact with the hammer spring keeping it under tension but i always take a magic marker and mark the rear of the hammer so the half ring you are talking about is facing straight up then i ease the hammer spring in against it and put in the rear plug. with it assembled like that i've never had one to rotate out of cocking position.

March 22nd, 2012, 12:32 pm #7

<p>Have a 1970 Sheridan Blue Streak that looks bad but pumps up pretty strong and holds air well that has developed an issue I can't figure out so hopeful someone else has run accross a similar issue and can point me in the right direction. </p><p>Had a few pumpss in it and every week or so would dry fire it to make sure it was holding air. Went to test one last time before boxing it up for sale and pulled the bolt back to dry fire. When I did it would mini fire each time I tried to cock the bolt and released tension. It will not pull hammer back far enough to engage sear so can't be fired with trigger. However each time you pull back bolt far enough and release it puffs a little air until valve empties. </p><p>Opened up the back and everything seems there and unbroken except the hammer has a cast ring that is only a half moon. No pieces came out for the other half and I don't know if it is supposed to be that way or not.</p><p>Any ideas?</p><p>Thanks</p><p>Tom</p>
<p>Kept putting back together with hammer upright but could not seem to get it back together and get it to cock.</p><p>I had tendon surgery 4 mos ago and thing is just really hard to cock sometimes, like it binds. Cocks all the way now just too hard for my bad hand (right one of course)</p><p>Thanks for the input. Kept me on the right track.</p><p> </p>

March 24th, 2012, 5:34 pm #8

hand would work better for you until the right is up to speed, you can install an E series Sheridan pistol bolt.
These have a knurled knob that you twist and pull so I guess they could be considered ambi. You can find them at the usual suspects, Bryan & Associates, AB Airgun,Precision Pellet.