Birding with the Pro Sport this morning, Graphic

Birding with the Pro Sport this morning, Graphic

dt3

March 24th, 2012, 3:44 pm #1

After long dry spell in part do to health issues I finally made it out this morning to do some birding with my .177 Pro Sport. Shot about 7 sparrows, the shooting was so fast I lost track, 5 starlings and one crow. All of the smaller birds fell among the cattle in the mud/well you know, so rather than pick them up I just kind of stepped on them and pressing them down in the mud until they disappeared.

Best shot of the morning was a 50 yard sparrow setting on top of a grain bin, second best was the crow as 52 yards setting in a tree. I was shooting 8.4 gr JSB Exacts @ 840 fps and when hit it just folded up and hit the ground.

[/IMG]

Been shooting this combo for about 3 months now and to be honest I didn't seen much benefit of the mil dots until today. At 5X I hold 1/4 mil at 40 yards and 1/2 mil at 50 which seem to work out quite well. I still think the 1/2 mil dot might be a better way to go on a springer.

Hope the rest of you can get out soon,
Darrell

Darrell
Last edited by dt3 on March 24th, 2012, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 24th, 2012, 4:45 pm #2

I have a .177 PS with two piece Sportsmatch high mounts and a 4-12 x40 Bushnell Trophy scope.
I truly enjoy this rifle more and more each time that I shoot it. After a year and a half, I find that it is easier to cock than my TX200 MK III.
I lose interest in guns fast if they are mediocre. I will get a gun that appeals to me and, if after awhile, I find that I'm not shooting it I will try to sell or trade for something else. The Pro Sport, however, is not one of those guns. I find that there are so many things about it that I appreciate that I don't see how I could ever get rid of it.
God Bless,
Scott

March 24th, 2012, 5:54 pm #3

I feel the same way about my .177 pro sport.

The accuracy, build quality and shot cycle are outstanding. It also gets smoother as the shot count increases.

Interestingly, it is also the quietest springer I own. Even more stealthy than my tuned R7.

R

March 24th, 2012, 7:10 pm #4

I love the 2 PS I have a .177cal and a .22cal their keepers for sure accuracy is unbelieveable with these gun's!
Last edited by AirkingMark on March 24th, 2012, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dt3

March 24th, 2012, 10:42 pm #5

I have a .177 PS with two piece Sportsmatch high mounts and a 4-12 x40 Bushnell Trophy scope.
I truly enjoy this rifle more and more each time that I shoot it. After a year and a half, I find that it is easier to cock than my TX200 MK III.
I lose interest in guns fast if they are mediocre. I will get a gun that appeals to me and, if after awhile, I find that I'm not shooting it I will try to sell or trade for something else. The Pro Sport, however, is not one of those guns. I find that there are so many things about it that I appreciate that I don't see how I could ever get rid of it.
God Bless,
Scott
Yes they are great guns and not hard to cock at all once you get the hang of it. I can cock and load mine as fast as any other fixed barrel I own I just have to use a little different technique is all.

Those 4-12x40 Trophy's are awful good scopes in my opinion, I wish I had another one in the high gloss finish. I actually think the 5-15X40 Legend is a bit big for my needs, however it is a very good scope.

Darrell

dt3

March 24th, 2012, 10:45 pm #6

I feel the same way about my .177 pro sport.

The accuracy, build quality and shot cycle are outstanding. It also gets smoother as the shot count increases.

Interestingly, it is also the quietest springer I own. Even more stealthy than my tuned R7.

R
I am thinking of getting one in .22 myself although after bagging this crow at 50 yards I am not sure I need one.
Last edited by dt3 on March 24th, 2012, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 25th, 2012, 12:04 am #7

After long dry spell in part do to health issues I finally made it out this morning to do some birding with my .177 Pro Sport. Shot about 7 sparrows, the shooting was so fast I lost track, 5 starlings and one crow. All of the smaller birds fell among the cattle in the mud/well you know, so rather than pick them up I just kind of stepped on them and pressing them down in the mud until they disappeared.

Best shot of the morning was a 50 yard sparrow setting on top of a grain bin, second best was the crow as 52 yards setting in a tree. I was shooting 8.4 gr JSB Exacts @ 840 fps and when hit it just folded up and hit the ground.

[/IMG]

Been shooting this combo for about 3 months now and to be honest I didn't seen much benefit of the mil dots until today. At 5X I hold 1/4 mil at 40 yards and 1/2 mil at 50 which seem to work out quite well. I still think the 1/2 mil dot might be a better way to go on a springer.

Hope the rest of you can get out soon,
Darrell

Darrell
I never get tired of seeing pics of the P-S.

You had a very good day. Glad you are beginning to see why I am so high on the P-S. I know you are a good shooter. You definitely deserve a P-S. I also have been shooting mine a good bit lately.

The normal, Spring invasion of grackles, brown headed cowbirds, has not happened yet around here. Hope the unusual weather has not altered their migration habits. The starlings are already scattered and nesting and their not using the areas I haunt.

I'm a little tired, bored, with shooting paper, but don't have much else.
Really hope the named black-birds start arriving here in greater numbers.

Did you decide you didn't want the Daystate, hunter classic?

How serious are you about another P-S in .22?

We sure have had lots of nice shooting weather, to bad you health has not cooperated.

Glad you had a good day.

Later,
Dwight

dt3

March 25th, 2012, 11:45 am #8

I truly enjoyed myself today mostly because I got out and did something and secondly because I had a good hunt.

Been feeling much better the last 2-3 weeks however the driving restriction are still in place, I haven't been able to drive since Christmas. If I can make it one more week without having another spell and I think I can I will be released to drive again on April 1st, I can't wait. I am looking forward to hooking up and getting out into the woods together.

Still on the fence about the Daystate Huntsman, given my fill limitations with the SCUBA equipment I am not sure it's the right move. Using a hand pump is not really an option any more at least for now anyway so I am thinking of upgrading to a Nitrogen tank in which case I might go ahead and get a Huntsman.

Getting a PS in .22 was pretty high on my list however given the success I had yesterday hunting with the .177 I am not sure that is still the case. As you probably know by now I think about getting lots of different rifles however I am slow to move and many times change my mind after I think about it a while.

I did put a set back trigger in my R9, you will have to give it a try when we hook up next.

Hope to see you soon,

Darrell