Big Cat barrel pivot bolt...

Big Cat barrel pivot bolt...

October 17th, 2009, 8:56 pm #1

Is it right hand thread or left hand? I've tried turning it both ways with an impact driver and still can't get it to move. Need to lube it and tighten up the pivot to get rid of some free play so it will shoot straight again!
TIA

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"
Jim in SWMO

"You've come far, pilgrim."-------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"-----"Ah, what trouble?"

October 18th, 2009, 3:40 am #2

<p>It's a right hand thread but trying to tighten it up will do no good as it just squezes the barrel against the right side fork, it does NOT pinch the forks . The bolt just tightens against a spacer in the pivot bolt so tightening it up does nothing.</p><p>It's a problem with the plastic barreled gamo's they just wear and the only way is to grind down the spacer in the pivot to tighten them up.</p>

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

October 18th, 2009, 12:49 pm #3

short of taking the tune kit and trigger back out, throwing the rest in the garbage and buying something else? How do I get this bolt out to shorten the bushing? Does it need some heat in order to break loose? Also, is there any place at all where I can get a replacement pivot bolt? This one is getting so chewed up from trying to get it out that I don't think I would even want to put it back in if I did get it out. I would really like to fix this. It used to be a fairly accurate rifle.

Jim in SWMO

October 18th, 2009, 7:48 pm #4

<p>Well the bolt will come out but it takes a good impact driver and don't use any heat or you will melt the plastic parts and back up the back side with a block of wood to gain more force with the impact driver. Sorry Gamo USA does NOT sell any parts so your out of luck if the bolt breaks or is messed up beyond repair.</p><p> What is really funny is I have guys from Spain emailing me trying  to get parts because Gamo will not even sell them to owners of Gamo rifles in Spain where the rifle is made.</p><p>Once it's out then you can grind off a bit of the bushing and then reinstall the bolt to tighten the slop..</p>

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

October 18th, 2009, 8:40 pm #5

impact driver and my work bench has a wood top. I guess mainly I was afraid that the bolt head would strip completely out before it broke loose. I knew that Gamo wouldn't sell this type of part, but I was hoping that there might have been another source, like maybe Crosman. If I thought I could get it out without it breaking or something I think I could have one made.

Well, I guess right now it's looking like my best bet is just to use it for simple plinking, can still hit cans at 15-20yds, most of the time. It's really a shame, too. Not even 2,000 pellets through it and it used to be able to produce 3/8"-1/2" groups at 30yds. Guess it's time to start looking for a replacement. Maybe something that the Tarantula spring with your guides and the GTX trigger will fit. One thing I can guarantee, it WON'T be another plastic Gamo!!!

Thanks again for your help, Rich. Much appreciated!!

Jim in SWMO

October 18th, 2009, 9:07 pm #7

Steve

October 18th, 2009, 9:15 pm #8

I was just getting ready to say that it was an interesting idea, but that the BC has the polymer barrel. If it was a steel barrel I probably would have been able to remedy the situation by using a little heat to remove the screw. Thanks for trying, though, Steve. Appreciate it.

Jim in SWMO

October 19th, 2009, 2:04 pm #9

Is it right hand thread or left hand? I've tried turning it both ways with an impact driver and still can't get it to move. Need to lube it and tighten up the pivot to get rid of some free play so it will shoot straight again!
TIA

Rich and I just went through this same scenario with my son's Viper. After roughly 20-25K rounds, the barrel play became too objectionable. Though it had been tuned by Rich and had one of the "funny" colored triggers, I opted to remove the trigger and send the rifle back to Gamo...remember, it DOES have a lifetime warranty.

As long as they don't look too closely and see how Rich improved upon their sloppy workmanship, I SHOULD receive the original rifle in return. If instead, Gamo sends a new rifle, it will simply go to Rich for another of his tunes and I'll reinstall the yellow trigger.

By the way, that's not a typo...she's had roughly 20-25K rounds put through her in about 8 months time. Rich can attest to how many springs he's installed in her...lol

Lastly, though she is/was an entry level rifle,(my first springer,) any product that can absorb that much use in such a short time was a great value for the money.

October 19th, 2009, 2:29 pm #10

The papers that came with my Big Cat say it has a 1 year warranty. Gamo's web site says the same:

Warranty Repairs and Non-Warranty Repairs:

* GAMO air rifles and pistols carry a one (1) year limited manufacture warranty.

And according to Gamo's web site this would fall under "Normal wear and tear from regular use" and would probably not be covered anyway. So I guess I'll just look at it as a learning experience. Thanks for the info, though.

Jim in SWMO