Benjamin pump w/Marauder?

Benjamin pump w/Marauder?

October 14th, 2009, 3:41 pm #1

Question -- are some of you using the Benjamin hand pump with your Marauder?

What are the pros and cons of doing this versus a more expensive pump like the Hill pump with DriPac? Obviously the advantage on the Benjamin is that it's a goo dbit cheaper, and I am assuming that it already comes with the appropriate fittings for a Marauder. I don't know if you need to buy extra fittings/adapters for the Hill pump.

Seems to me if Crosman designed the pump for the gun, you shouldn't run into too much trouble using it with the Marauder.

How good is it at keeping moisture out of the gun? Is there a water purge valve or something similar on the pump?

Thanks!

Russ

October 14th, 2009, 3:56 pm #2

Marauder until just recently. Flawless function for me, with over 300 gun fills to it's credit so far. It's going to my nephew shortly for his new disco....I trust it that much.

The only issue I've had was one of shear stupidity on my part...I had allowed the top of the tube, where the handle attaches to rotated a full turn counterclockwise...well, there's a seal in there...lol.....and if you let that happen, it will not pump efficiently...once discovered...it's pumping like crazy again.

Now, I live in very humid NW Florida...I put a drop of secret sauce (from MAC1) in the foster fitting every 10 fills or so...no evidence of nastiness or corrosion in my guns thus far...the only thing I've done to the pump is pull the fittings and spray the bottom out with brake cleaner....twice in the last year...there was some slight nastiness in there, but I expected worse after hearing the horror stories about pumping here and on the yellow. I went into full panic mode a couple of months ago, after I had pumped my Marauder about 50 times....pulled both the BSA and Mrod down....no evidence whatsoever.

It has a sintered intake fitting, which probably helps the water a bit..but not much...I think the drop of oil does more than anything. But, I'm also very careful to release the pressure quickly every fill....and there is always a mist of water released doing this...the theory is that it will blow most of it out of the pump's reservoir...it's done ok for me so far.

I wipe the pump off on occasion and add a very thin film of JM's moly on the tube...other than that, I've pumped the hell out of it without issues that I didn't create myself. And as I said, the BSA pumps to 3400psi....talk about a danged workout! If you leave the Mrod at factory settings, 2500-2600psi isn't bad at all.

Hope this helps.

s/f

Jamie

October 14th, 2009, 4:09 pm #3

What are the pros and cons of doing this versus a more expensive pump like the Hill pump with DriPac? Obviously the advantage on the Benjamin is that it's a goo dbit cheaper, and I am assuming that it already comes with the appropriate fittings for a Marauder. I don't know if you need to buy extra fittings/adapters for the Hill pump.

Seems to me if Crosman designed the pump for the gun, you shouldn't run into too much trouble using it with the Marauder.

How good is it at keeping moisture out of the gun? Is there a water purge valve or something similar on the pump?

Thanks!

Russ
<p>first, the effort it takes to bring it back up. really not that hard, just takes a few minutes. I usually pump it in two short sessions, pausing to cool the pump cool, but puasing mainly to let me rest a bit</p><p>second, if your out in the field, the pump must go with you. No problem if you hunting, but a plinking sesssion or gopher shooting may require a refill. if you drove in to the area, no problem. </p><p>Niether of these is a deal killer.....</p>

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning

October 14th, 2009, 5:04 pm #4

Marauder until just recently. Flawless function for me, with over 300 gun fills to it's credit so far. It's going to my nephew shortly for his new disco....I trust it that much.

The only issue I've had was one of shear stupidity on my part...I had allowed the top of the tube, where the handle attaches to rotated a full turn counterclockwise...well, there's a seal in there...lol.....and if you let that happen, it will not pump efficiently...once discovered...it's pumping like crazy again.

Now, I live in very humid NW Florida...I put a drop of secret sauce (from MAC1) in the foster fitting every 10 fills or so...no evidence of nastiness or corrosion in my guns thus far...the only thing I've done to the pump is pull the fittings and spray the bottom out with brake cleaner....twice in the last year...there was some slight nastiness in there, but I expected worse after hearing the horror stories about pumping here and on the yellow. I went into full panic mode a couple of months ago, after I had pumped my Marauder about 50 times....pulled both the BSA and Mrod down....no evidence whatsoever.

It has a sintered intake fitting, which probably helps the water a bit..but not much...I think the drop of oil does more than anything. But, I'm also very careful to release the pressure quickly every fill....and there is always a mist of water released doing this...the theory is that it will blow most of it out of the pump's reservoir...it's done ok for me so far.

I wipe the pump off on occasion and add a very thin film of JM's moly on the tube...other than that, I've pumped the hell out of it without issues that I didn't create myself. And as I said, the BSA pumps to 3400psi....talk about a danged workout! If you leave the Mrod at factory settings, 2500-2600psi isn't bad at all.

Hope this helps.

s/f

Jamie
Thanks!

That gives me a lot more confidence in the Benjamin pump. I figured if they had any real problems, they wouldn't be selling them.

If I end up getting one, I may have to ask here again for links to the "secret sauce" from Mac1 that you mention.

Thanks again,

Russ

October 14th, 2009, 8:25 pm #5

Thanks!

Russ
Mine came with my Disco and has been working for almost two years with many fills. It is easy to pump the Disco to 1750psi which it likes. So I do not find it a problem. The effort required is very light... feels to me about the same as filling a 2 gallon home use garden sprayer.

Mine does not like cold weather... or didn't last winter. It worked but it seemed to take more pumps to do the same fill.

Now that winter is comming so will the pump complaints. That is my theory.