Benefits of leather seals in B3-X rifles?

Benefits of leather seals in B3-X rifles?

February 28th, 2017, 12:41 pm #1

I got a few in a trade a while back but they've just sat in an empty pellet tin ever since. Came across them the other day and stared to wonder. I can't remember if mine has the factory seal or a JM seal right now since it's been probably 5 years or more since opening it up

February 28th, 2017, 4:12 pm #2

If you talking leather piston seals,(the older guns) I prefer them. They can always be freshened up with a couple drops of oil(they swell)
I even downloaded instructions from somewhere to make my own.
I had a little Slavia 618 that had a leather piston seal; it had gotten pretty chewed up as the young owner had cut up tacks to shoot through it. Found a bunch embedded in the seal.
Made a new one and it worked like a charm.

Synthetic can become blown, and have to be replaced.
Last edited by Matchstickshooter on February 28th, 2017, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 1st, 2017, 1:33 am #3

Too bad cause I wanted to give leather a try. Curiosity got the best of me (and I couldn't sleep) so I opened her up to have a look. This one doesn't have a hole for a screw on the head the piston, I have another piston that has a JM B19 seal on it and would take a leather seal but it's about a half inch longer than the one in the rifle so it must be from the B3-1 I got rid of.

March 1st, 2017, 6:29 am #4

The newer B3's as you saw don't have the screw hole for a leather seal. The seal that comes with the current B3 Q2 parts /cleaning kit is plastic and snaps over the end of the piston.

March 2nd, 2017, 6:21 pm #5

The clear factory seal is working just fine for now and I've got a spare if it ever goes out. I've been shooting it a lot lately because it can't be heard upstairs while the house is asleep so we'll see how long that takes

March 24th, 2017, 2:36 am #6

I got a few in a trade a while back but they've just sat in an empty pellet tin ever since. Came across them the other day and stared to wonder. I can't remember if mine has the factory seal or a JM seal right now since it's been probably 5 years or more since opening it up
You can use the Vortek seal adapter and the TX-200 seal.

http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/Seals-Tuning-Parts