Been away from these springers for a while - what replaced the Xisico B20?

Been away from these springers for a while - what replaced the Xisico B20?

October 18th, 2010, 7:13 pm #1

Going back quite a few years here, but I do remember in the 2004-5 area I bought a number of Xisico guns (B18/B20/B21), Crosman Quest, etc., to try out and home tune.

The B20 always stood out to me as the best of the lot. I liked it's compact nature, shot cycle was good, build quality was sturdy, and the trigger adjusted up much lighter and more predictable than the rest. Was not the B20 a copy of the R9?

Anyway, a son of one of our friends is moving up from his 2289 pumper, and wanting a good quality spring gun. His brother got the Big Cat 1200, and he is ready for something as well.

Is there still something out there like the B20?

Are there any others that are reasonably compact, shoot in the 750-850 fps mark in .177, known to have a good trigger, and built sturdy?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as well as the history of post B20. Or even of a good used B20 out there.

jke

October 18th, 2010, 8:08 pm #2

fwiw joe
In the meantime.....I'm cleaning my gun.

October 18th, 2010, 8:25 pm #3

Going back quite a few years here, but I do remember in the 2004-5 area I bought a number of Xisico guns (B18/B20/B21), Crosman Quest, etc., to try out and home tune.

The B20 always stood out to me as the best of the lot. I liked it's compact nature, shot cycle was good, build quality was sturdy, and the trigger adjusted up much lighter and more predictable than the rest. Was not the B20 a copy of the R9?

Anyway, a son of one of our friends is moving up from his 2289 pumper, and wanting a good quality spring gun. His brother got the Big Cat 1200, and he is ready for something as well.

Are there any others that are reasonably compact, shoot in the 750-850 fps mark in .177, known to have a good trigger, and built sturdy?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as well as the history of post B20. Or even of a good used B20 out there.
Chris we have a new President did they tell you that too lol? Glad your looking back into it! The B20 was suceeded by the B26 yes its an R9 copy. Talk to Mike at Best airguns. He may be able to get you a B26 in .177 as they are no longer being imported. Great guns I've had 2. Good luck let us know what you think.

October 18th, 2010, 9:14 pm #4

phone call will help if you decide on a 26....

mailto:flyingdragonairrifles@hotmail.com
Bestairgun.com

October 18th, 2010, 10:57 pm #5

and while its there have him tune it,you wont regret it.

October 19th, 2010, 2:27 am #6

I appreciate the help.

I never left the sport, but once I found Air Arms, HW, FWB, Walther, Daystate, Theoben, etc., I felt I never had any reason to go back and lost touch with what was happening in Chinese production.

But they got me back into a hobby I left when I was 15. For that I am glad.

Did the B26 make a good impression then? Wondering why it is out of production.

Like I said, the B20 seemed ahead of the rest 5 or 6 years ago to me because of the build design of the internals and the adjust ability of the trigger.

Do any other BAM models offer a rekord copy? In my opinion the B20 trigger could adjust up light years ahead of the others, even the new gamo Big Cat that I had apart last weekend. I assume some of the aftermarket trigger upgrades will improve a lot of them. And the guide in the big cat....honestly...could Gamo not do better than that? Even the Hatson 33 factory guide has a better spring guide fit (had them both apart the same night) And the robustness of the Hatson piston, gauge of the metal, cocking arm. Interesting for such an inexpensive springer. Three brothers, all shooting airguns. The oldest just purchased his new Gamo from his savings, the parents bought the Hatson the youngest, and I am asking about the B20/26 for the middle son.

I believe I have made my way into every spring gun I've owned in a effort to improve their shot cycle. Been down this road many times, many custom guides, many springs, many seals, different lube trials, etc. I shoot and compete with PCP mostly now, but there is no replacement for a springer. Love and hate, and a good education. Lots of fun.

Thanks for the information thus far.

October 19th, 2010, 7:21 am #7

I have recently gone through my B26-2 and made it into a very accurate and smooth shooting rifle.
I made my own picatinny style scope riser so that I don't have to cut or modify the high comb on the stock, installed the RcnMo trigger, made my own barrel tuning and muzzle weights, polished, shimmed, and lubed the over-center breach lock pin, bore-lapped and choked the barrel, and did a lube tune including squared and polished spring ends / polished thrust washers / custom delrin guide / a Maccari Apex seal / with .010" mylar piston liner. The shot cycle is very smooth and quiet, it is shooting CPLs at 745 fps here at 5000 ft MSL, and is grouping into ragged single holes at 25 yds. Velocity would likely be around 850 fps at sea level.

I didn't initially expect to do so much work on the rifle, but I enjoy getting great accuracy from an already amazing and fun to shoot gun. The accuracy is now good enough for me to upgrade to a $270.00 8-32x56 target scope! And the rifle is even more accurate with the heavy scope on it.

Mike Melick is the man to call for one... great guy and great products!

Call me nuts, but I have really enjoyed working on this one...

Tom F.

October 19th, 2010, 8:20 am #8

Wished you lived next door now that you have done everything I would like to have done to mine . It will be my first springer but am looking forward to that steep learning curve. Should be fun.

jim

October 19th, 2010, 1:55 pm #9

It really is easier than I thought it would be. I was thinking last night that my statement of every one of my springers I have had apart was not exactly accurate. I have never had my JW 75 apart, nor my LG380 or Diana 75. I will likely never on the JW75. I hear the Giss system is a little more complicated, but I have one that needs a rebuild, so will need to find out first hand soon.

Much like the trend of many others, I left my beloved airguns at around the age of 15. Went to powder burners. Then around 7 or so years ago one of my good buddies bought a Diana 350. He always wanted one as a kid, and finally decided to get one. Through his encouragement, I ordered my first adult air gun. B21. Then the rest started coming in as I got addicted really quick. We both grew up wrenching on dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc., farm boys, so we always took the guns apart to find what made them tick. Then JM for springs and lubes and seals. Then having machinists make guides and custom seals. And there is so much more to learn. Those guys who take the time to design custom pistons to balance the shot cycle or modify the power output, transfer port modification for best efficiency is a particular gun, choke experiments for accuracy. So much one can do with a spring gun.

The basics are really not that hard. Online help from schematics is usually there, and the biggest danger is the spring pressure obviously. When the UK Tomahawk came, followed by the Pro Sport years ago, I basically went toward the German and UK guns, tuning them as well, and usually decreasing the power, as I desired smoother shot cycles, better for Field Target and target shooting generally. But over the year I have been asked for repairs from friends or their kids on the more reasonably priced models. They all are doing the same thing. And all are a blast.

So, study the schematics, ask questions, and take it slow and you will likely be surprised at how easy it is.

Now I am way off the topic of the B20

October 19th, 2010, 2:09 pm #10

I have recently gone through my B26-2 and made it into a very accurate and smooth shooting rifle.
I made my own picatinny style scope riser so that I don't have to cut or modify the high comb on the stock, installed the RcnMo trigger, made my own barrel tuning and muzzle weights, polished, shimmed, and lubed the over-center breach lock pin, bore-lapped and choked the barrel, and did a lube tune including squared and polished spring ends / polished thrust washers / custom delrin guide / a Maccari Apex seal / with .010" mylar piston liner. The shot cycle is very smooth and quiet, it is shooting CPLs at 745 fps here at 5000 ft MSL, and is grouping into ragged single holes at 25 yds. Velocity would likely be around 850 fps at sea level.

I didn't initially expect to do so much work on the rifle, but I enjoy getting great accuracy from an already amazing and fun to shoot gun. The accuracy is now good enough for me to upgrade to a $270.00 8-32x56 target scope! And the rifle is even more accurate with the heavy scope on it.

Mike Melick is the man to call for one... great guy and great products!

Call me nuts, but I have really enjoyed working on this one...

Tom F.