Be prepared to see what a Gamo is really capable of this weekend!

Be prepared to see what a Gamo is really capable of this weekend!

March 14th, 2007, 4:45 am #1

Well if the weather cooperates. I have been working with my brother and we have found the Gamo to be capable of being a sub-MOA grouper at 100YDS. I don't want to give it away, but let me tell you this right now, 100YDS is going to be as easy as 50YDS once we get in on the bench. Oh and to give you a little taste of what shes doing right now, we have atcheived goups that would kill an ordinary 22LR's groups at that range!

The gun being used is a stock Gamo Hunter Sport. No tunes, modifications, or any other tricks have been performed on this rifle. The velocity is 940FPS with CPL's.
Scope is a Famous Maker 3-12x40MM Mil-Dot with A/O. The shooter will be my brother while I spot and calculate adjustments for windage and elevation. Pellets used are Crosman Premeir Pointed un-weighed. Range will be 100YDS and possibly 150-200YDS just for fun. Also before I continue I must let you know that at 100YDS it is fully capable of taking game humanely(have calculated with test FPS and equaled apx. 6.5FTLBS). This will be confirmed when shot through the chrony at 100YDS again this weekend. Recent tests have shown that the velocity is around the 580-620FPS range depending on pellet, weather, and where the bullet went through the chrono. So keep a look out this weekend!

sav300

"You can never own to many guns"

P.S I will try and get some pics in when I post.
Last edited by sav300 on March 14th, 2007, 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2007, 5:01 am #2

camera. There may be skeptics.

March 14th, 2007, 5:30 am #3

Well if the weather cooperates. I have been working with my brother and we have found the Gamo to be capable of being a sub-MOA grouper at 100YDS. I don't want to give it away, but let me tell you this right now, 100YDS is going to be as easy as 50YDS once we get in on the bench. Oh and to give you a little taste of what shes doing right now, we have atcheived goups that would kill an ordinary 22LR's groups at that range!

The gun being used is a stock Gamo Hunter Sport. No tunes, modifications, or any other tricks have been performed on this rifle. The velocity is 940FPS with CPL's.
Scope is a Famous Maker 3-12x40MM Mil-Dot with A/O. The shooter will be my brother while I spot and calculate adjustments for windage and elevation. Pellets used are Crosman Premeir Pointed un-weighed. Range will be 100YDS and possibly 150-200YDS just for fun. Also before I continue I must let you know that at 100YDS it is fully capable of taking game humanely(have calculated with test FPS and equaled apx. 6.5FTLBS). This will be confirmed when shot through the chrony at 100YDS again this weekend. Recent tests have shown that the velocity is around the 580-620FPS range depending on pellet, weather, and where the bullet went through the chrono. So keep a look out this weekend!

sav300

Be sure to bring some dome pellets for that distance. I could not get the CP points to work right at 20 or 30 yards with the Shadow Sport. It sounds like yours like them so good luck.

March 14th, 2007, 8:27 am #4

lot's of succes...

Lots of pictures too;
This is how you do it; open your message
sign in with photobucket;
upload a photo (jpg) from your pc file (my pictures?)
after a while you see the photo and an url;
start at the beginning of the url and copie the hole line
go back to your message and paste the url in your message
in the preview you can see if it went the way you want it.

i like experiments from "gamo"-siastics.

probebly a silly question; What are cpl's i can't find pellets under that name.

grtz

March 14th, 2007, 9:16 am #5

.177 Crosman Premier 7.9gr. Its a good domed pellet.

March 14th, 2007, 1:17 pm #6

But the CPL's BC generally measures out at ~0.023 at standard (temp and elevation) conditions. So unless SAV is shooting at a fairly high altitude - ~3000 feet where the lower air density would help raise BC - his figures for velocity retention seem a little optimistic. And, of course, springers tend to not like high altitude and low air density.

Meanwhile, at sea-level, starting with an MV of 940fps, I calculate the 100yd velocity and energy to be ~545fps and ~5fpe.

Bottom line: 1MOA at 100yds with a 15fpe springer is prettymuch unprecedented. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on March 14th, 2007, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2007, 9:39 pm #7

sav300 is going to use the Crosman Premeir Points for his test not the CPL's. I have found that the points are not as good as the Domes in Crosman Premiers.

March 14th, 2007, 10:04 pm #8

camera. There may be skeptics.
garrett

March 15th, 2007, 12:06 am #9

sav300 is going to use the Crosman Premeir Points for his test not the CPL's. I have found that the points are not as good as the Domes in Crosman Premiers.

All conical-point pellets typically have aerodynamics comparable to wadcutters - BCs in the 0.01 range - totally inappropriate for long distance accuracy - really pathetic.

Retained energy at 100 yards would be less than 10% of what it was at the muzzle.

Steve

March 15th, 2007, 2:17 am #10

sav300

My elevation is in the 2000 something feet. As for my velocities, please take note that I said," Depending on pellet, weather, and where the pellet crossed the chrony." I also should have added that the chrony results may be off due to sun light(could shave off up to 100FPS), for I have found it to also be a factor in velocity (some may recall the 750FPS crosman 760 post that turned out to be only a high 600FPS shooter due to light). The pellets I will be using are Crosman Premier pointed that look these(except in .177 cal.):

<a href="http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Crosman_Pe ... o22.htm</a" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Crosman_Pe ... o22.htm</a>

I'm not realy big on BC stuff since I never really caught on to it, so I just find the pellet thats most accurate in my air riflesand that are easy to get a hold of. If you have any helpful info or care to comment please do. Sincerly,

sav300

Last edited by sav300 on March 15th, 2007, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.