Barrel Chambering and transfer port work

Barrel Chambering and transfer port work

August 16th, 2011, 12:32 am #1

I got a barrel drop shipped to me that someone wanted prepped. I have always done a slight taper lead in so the pellet gently guides in. This barrel seems a little tightger and I ran into a problem, The taper lead in to get a .22 JSB in got enough that no matter how I burr free it was, there was always a shaving off the pellet head and had an uneven band around the head like in this pic.
[/IMG]
I eventually polished and rounded the transferport edge so the shaving was gone but then the pellet had an uneven band mark around the head so that was no good either. So I reindecated it in the lathe and did it with a straight bore that is .001 larger than a JSB and then the taper in .004 over the next .325" and got this.
[/IMG]
Nice even band on the head and no shaveings. The land imprints are actually a little heavier than I have seen, maybe .002 per side and there is a little burr behind it so maybe a little more gradual angle will help get rid of that.
Here it is done and ready to try. I put a good size 15 degree chamfer on the transfer port opening in the barrel to help it flow nicely into the .160" hole. It will be good for 30-35 ftlbs.
[/IMG]

August 16th, 2011, 2:33 am #2

What kind of barrel? Nice work, btw. Are you going to get a chance to try the barrel yourself?

August 16th, 2011, 1:30 pm #3

The person had it sent here first so I could do the work for him. I will try to get it on something and try it. Its a beautyfull barrel and I have never heard anyone complaining about one thats for sure. Hopefully my work is worthy of a barrel of this quality.

August 26th, 2011, 3:49 pm #4

What kind of barrel? Nice work, btw. Are you going to get a chance to try the barrel yourself?
The barrel is now headed my way. It's getting fitted to a new Dawson benchrest rifle; so we will get to try the barrel out in the next couple months. The quality is second to none.

Gordon Dawson

http://www.DawsonBenchrest.com
http://www.alpineprecision.com