Barrel Alignment Question

Barrel Alignment Question

September 25th, 2009, 2:34 pm #1

Hello to all. I am a newby to this group and PCP airguns but I've caught the bug thanks to Greg!
Ok, I got a new Disco and have done some home tuning and am getting pretty decent groups but I am wondering if there is a way to align the barrel to the gun (pressure tube below it I would guess) without haveing a surface plate. So far I have aligned it visually but that could vary (+,-) a bit. I have calipers, dial indicator, magnetic base, 1-2-3 blocks etc but no true flat surface to work off. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

September 27th, 2009, 1:29 am #2

Erwin,
I don't know about the barrel alignment procedure, but for a cheap surface plate that is good to a couple of thousandths, go to a granite kitchen counter top fabricator. (Sorry if someone has already given this idea.) One that has a yard right there with all the slabs. Many of them will sell you left over pieces for $5 or $10 a square foot. Make sure to get the 3cm thick (1-1/4"), not the 2cm. See if they'll let you look in their big scraps and find the exact size you want. If they have to cut it to size, you'll pay too much. Get something that has a fine grained texture with no color or texture variation. One called Absolute Black is very common and a very good choice.
Lloyd