ball head allen wrenches

ball head allen wrenches

March 18th, 2012, 1:28 pm #1

just ordered up a set for the airgun tool box. have to work on metric and standard airguns today and finally got pissed off with having to dig the wrenches out of the mechanics or woodworking tool boxes.
anyhow never tried the ball heads and always went with the straights. if they don't work out they can be ground back to normal straights.
it will be a new experience. what's the experience been with using ball ends?

small caliber joy

March 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm #2

... still have full sets with the squared heads because you can't always get enough grip to break a stuck bolt loose. You will be pleased.

March 18th, 2012, 3:07 pm #3

just ordered up a set for the airgun tool box. have to work on metric and standard airguns today and finally got pissed off with having to dig the wrenches out of the mechanics or woodworking tool boxes.
anyhow never tried the ball heads and always went with the straights. if they don't work out they can be ground back to normal straights.

small caliber joy
you are gonna throw the old ones away.....:-D NT

March 18th, 2012, 3:31 pm #4

... still have full sets with the squared heads because you can't always get enough grip to break a stuck bolt loose. You will be pleased.
glad i jumped in.

small caliber joy

March 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm #5

small caliber joy
The ball end is basically an "assist" to help you get the screw threaded in providing ease of use. But it is not specifically designed to torque something down. It has far smaller contact area, and a smaller waist at the end of the ball which can snap the ball off uf torqued too hard. For small stuff it will probably be ok, but finish the job with the straight end whenever you can. Excellent tool to have.

March 18th, 2012, 4:55 pm #6

small caliber joy
They are great tools but need to be replaced when the tips get worn lest they damage the bolt heads.

Of course I usually lose enough of them before that happens and will replace the lot anyway.

Bondhuss seems to make the best and I think its worth the extra couple of bucks for the gold ones.

I use mine every day and buying good tools up front saves time and nerves down the road.

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

March 18th, 2012, 8:30 pm #7

small caliber joy
small allens (not overly fond of large ones) and whooom changes them out at every opportunity, if at all possible.

those ball ends are, NICE!

definitely agree w/ the others about using the straight ends for torquing, although the detestable SMMMALL allens, in my experience, don't usually need or require a large amount of torque and i've not had many problems just using the ball ends to ratchet em down.

most of the time.

have fun.

March 18th, 2012, 8:50 pm #8

small caliber joy
Hi, I've been using them for about 25 years; what took you so long?(insert similey here).

I do use handled driver versions also.

Tony

March 18th, 2012, 8:54 pm #9

The ball end is basically an "assist" to help you get the screw threaded in providing ease of use. But it is not specifically designed to torque something down. It has far smaller contact area, and a smaller waist at the end of the ball which can snap the ball off uf torqued too hard. For small stuff it will probably be ok, but finish the job with the straight end whenever you can. Excellent tool to have.
that explains things.

small caliber joy

March 18th, 2012, 8:57 pm #10

Hi, I've been using them for about 25 years; what took you so long?(insert similey here).

I do use handled driver versions also.

Tony
i wanted some handled ones too, but went six and change twice for metric and standard eklinds, long, ball end. they'll fit in my airgun box better than with handles.

small caliber joy